Coleman 424 stove

DaveNay

Adventurer
35 years old, poorly maintained, fuel in tank is probably 20+ years old.

It still fired up on the first try!

I think I need to hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and a rattle can of paint though. Probably a new pump and maybe a regulator.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_124913925_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190831_124913925_HDR.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20190831_124919246_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190831_124919246_HDR.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20190831_125420532_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190831_125420532_HDR.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190831_125427680_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190831_125427680_HDR.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 59

WVI

Adventurer
Cool. I have a regular old Coleman fuel stove in poor shape that still worked last time I tried it.
I have a an old dual field lantern so somewhere....

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
One of the reason I love the old Coleman's. As long as you're using Coleman/camp fuel/naptha it can sit for a long time with no problems. A repair kit with a few small parts and it should survive the Apocalypse.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
One of the reason I love the old Coleman's. As long as you're using Coleman/camp fuel/naptha it can sit for a long time with no problems. A repair kit with a few small parts and it should survive the Apocalypse.

Truth. A few years ago, I got the call from my mom to come clean my old Boy Scout crap out of her garage. Pulled out two very musty nylon/external frame back packs, some aluminum cook sets, and a 20+ year old MSR white gas stove with fuel still in the spun aluminum fuel bottles. Aside from a crusty gaskets on the cap and pump that seal to the fuel bottle, everything was in good shape. Fired right up on first try (with the crusty gaskets, even). I sprung for the $15 rebuild kit to replace all the gaskets and that stove is back in regular rotation in my kit.

motoboss

Bad Influence
My Coleman 424 sat for near 20 years and fired up, poorly, at first try. I took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the pump gasket and it now burns like new.

The Coleman lantern fired right up and burns brightly. Even found two new mantels in the case. It's amazing how well these old classics still perform.

Reactions: WVI

huachuca

Adventurer
Soak the leather cup overnight in some lightweight machine oil and that may be all you need.

I’ve been using a 413F since picking it and a Coleman oven up at a yard sale over fifty years ago. That and a 533 single burner from the early nineties have turned out a lot of meals for us. Last month,we took our grand daughter camping in the Smokies and she told her Mom the bacon I cooked is much better than her”s.:)

DaveNay

Adventurer
Soak the leather cup overnight in some lightweight machine oil and that may be all you need.

I’ve been using a 413F since picking it and a Coleman oven up at a yard sale over fifty years ago. That and a 533 single burner from the early nineties have turned out a lot of meals for us. Last month,we took our grand daughter camping in the Smokies and she told her Mom the bacon I cooked is much better than her”s.:)

Thanks for the suggestion huachuca. Where are you at in NC? We are in the process of relocating to Chapel Hill.

huachuca

Adventurer
Relocating to Chapel Hill? Sorry to hear that; You must've done someone really bad.

Just kidding - I'm an NC State grad and we generally poke fun at all things in Orange County. I think you'll like the area. Its about 4 hours from the mountains or the coast and there's a lot to do locally.

We're about eighty miles east of Chapel Hill; rural area off US64 between Rocky Mount and Tarboro. Once you get settled in, you'll have to visit our Outer Banks and will pass within a couple of miles of us on your way there. If you need suggestions for outdoor stuff, I may be able to help.

Al

huachuca

Adventurer
www.ColemanCollectorForum. They have classifieds and how to sections also. However , they will not value them for you.Lots of good info there. What is this 424 you speak of ? I have 413's,425's and 426's. Don't recall seeing a 424 .

Good advice on the Coleman Collector suggestion.

The 424 is the dual fuel version of the 425. There’s also the less common 414 which is a dual fuel 413 and the 428 dual fuel iteration of the three burner 426.

Buckshot62

Observer
Thank you, I have learned something new today. Have never seen a dual fuel stove. Guess that shows my age. My newest stove is late sixties to early seventies. Yep, I'm an old fart.

Red90

Adventurer
Soak the leather cup overnight in some lightweight machine oil and that may be all you need

They have not used leather for the pumps in probably 30 years. A 424 will have a nitrile seal. If it is not pumping well it probably needs a couple of drops of oil.

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for the updated info. Other than the 533, all my Coleman stoves and lanterns are 50+ and I wasn't aware of the changeover. I'd guess the cup is neoprene though rather than nitrile as the latter doesn't fare too well when utilized near a heat source. Wonder if the new style cups can be replaced with the old leather ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz