Coleman Colorado rebuild

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I picked up LED clearance lights for the sides of trailer, decided on LED strip lights for turn/brake. Found a few @etrailer but wondering what else is out there. Any suggestions?

Making progress slowly, looking at having it finished in the next month or so and possibly heading to the UP. Could use some time away.

Coloradobox1.jpg

Coloradobox2.jpg

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Looking like a fun project sir!

I've run those small round clearance lights from etrailer and liked them just fine. A much more sleek look than a bulky surface mount. That said, maybe a rectangle surface mount will cover the old holes in the skin better...

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Jmanscotch.. i have the OEM sized square clearance lights for the sides. The tail lights are what i would like to use the strip lighting for. Against the frame below the campers wood box. These.. but i'd like to find them closer to 15" in length.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL59RB.html

I'll have a folding table against the larger rear panel.. it would cover the usual taillight mounted there.

Good to see the site here has been upgraded to allow attaching full size images. I'll have to go back and edit in photo's.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I was going to ask about past photos, would love to see them.

Ahh, I misunderstood. I ran those lights (direct from them) and didn't think they were bright enough (I still have them if you'd like me to ship them to you, PM me).

eTrailer refused an exchange, citing my disappointment with them not being bright wasn't a good enough return reasoning without me paying return shipping and restock fee. They also sold me three, $30 a piece hinges that came in so out of true that they did not "hinge". They said I could exchange those, but they warned they wouldn't inspect them before shipping so I might get 3 more duds. They screwed up a product detail on a locking hitch pin, claiming it was 5/8. When I received the pin, it was 1/2. They refused the return because in their video, the gentleman measured it and showed it as a 1/2...a contradiction to their written product description.

I hate that their website is so detailed, and their products stretch so far....because so far, they've done nothing but let me down.

Most recently, I tried them again, since it'd been a year since all that. I ordered some jacks for my trailer as well as some 7 pin wiring and other items. Every review they showcase on their website shows how quick they ship....yet my order was delayed over 7 days because they were selling an item that a supplier had not yet fabricated and they had to wait to it before shipping the entire order. When I inquired about the delay, they seemed surprised that a two week out deliver date would be an issue...for items they claimed were in stock.

I go on that rant to say, beware of them. They're not the worst I've ever dealt with, they do communicate, but they great with customer service. So if you can find those lights local, try them instead.

Also, I ended up getting replacement lights, just like those, from a local Auto Truck Group shop for about $18 each and they were perfect.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'll get pics up soon..

My local trailer shop did not have the strip style brake/turn lights, that's what had me looking at etrailer. Thanks for sharing your experience. Also, found your build thread.. very impressive!

Found this Colorado listed for sale in Vegas a few months back, very much like how he did his entry step. I may copy this..

campercon10.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Jake, both your trailer projects are stellar.. following the current one in awe.

Working on trailer today removing the skin's pinstriping and chalky paint, UPS showed up with the weld on receiver tube for the new tongue. It was advertised as made in USA and 2"x6" classIII. It's oversized by 1/8" on two sides.. I imagine I want a snug fit to avoid any cracking in the welds?

For the receiver at rear of trailer I used a hitch extension and removed the tube insert.. fit the 2" full length tongue tightly.

receiver1.jpgreceiver2.jpg

cutextension2.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks , appreciated. Thank You again for the gift to my project, the tail lights are the perfect fit.. I hope to find they will be bright enough.

Colorado11.jpg

Making some progress, Luan is installed and stained grey, going for a distressed/aged look to the interior. Wheel wells are cleaned and painted. Skins are glued to box and channel is installed on top. Was able to install the bed slide last night.

Picked up the flooring material, went with a grey vinyl planking. It'll be awhile before much gets done on the camper as were about to get hit with some warm weather.

Returned the weld on receiver tube I pictured earlier, picked up an OEM JK bolt on receiver that will work fine for me after cutting mounting brackets off.

Just gonna dump a few more pics, need to take some yet. Any questions feel free.. i'v also started a thread at popupportal also that's not as confusing as this one. :)

Colorado1.jpg

Colorado6.jpg

Colorado8.jpg

Colorado9.jpg

Colorado14.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the lack of updates, but to be honest i haven't been making fast progress on this project. I'm to the point of prepping to install the canvas.

Vinyl flooring..

vinylplank2.jpg

Painted the skins a color I thought would match the tow rig.. but came out with a blue tint that I did not care for. You can also see the beginnings of a rack.

tonguerack2.jpg

Shortly after I bought another early Grand Cherokee, this one with a 5.2 V8 to tow a bit easier than the current 4.0 six. So I painted skins again to match.

00W0W_cmpPQRpr6IT_600x450.jpg

camperblackOct172018.jpg

I had to have the Jeep wheels machined to fit over the 3500lb axle hubs, then had 225/75's mounted. At that point I realized I needed a bit more height, made a set of 1.5" blocks to lift the trailer.

blockinstalled.jpg

I stumbled on a CL ad where a guy was selling his abandoned Coleman Colorado rebuild. Initially I bought his new in box replacement canvas, then after a few more weeks I ended up with the rest of the trailer.. minus the frame/axle he will use as a utility trailer. I needed a better set of bows for the canvas.. I did not have a complete set of clean unbent bows till the purchase.

Finished up the tongue, just have to cut away some of the bracket on receiver yet.

antithefttongue.jpg

Recently got the bows painted..

bowpaint3.jpg

Gonna try to install the LED lights today, hopefully get a few friends over to help me with installing the canvas soon. It's close.. hope to be in the woods soon.

Anyone who's rebuilt a Colorado have any tips on installing the new canvas?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Made some progress with bow assembly and canvas install. Lights all working, installed old tongue jack till I pick up a new one, and towed it back to the son's house. Interior will be built over the next few months, finish the tongue rack and get it ready for the UP.

After the holidays i'll be looking at adding a water tank/shower and dual battery/solar additions.

I ended up buying a third abandoned project for the new in box canvas, bow assembly and door pieces and hardware that went missing..

Canvas2.jpg

BackatGarys1.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Brought the camper home a few weeks ago, buttoned up things like fitting bed slide support poles, door hardware, corner guards, and a few other items. Got the interior built, still need to make a new table once I figure out what I want. In the meantime I installed a spare table to be able to use the second bed.

My stabilizers are too short by about 5", I seen a few people mention bed risers. Has anyone found them sturdy enough or have a suggestion or two?

Got plans with friends to get out in a few weeks for the holiday, really looking forward to it.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I finally got it out for it's maiden run a few weeks back, same for the new tow rig. Both performed well and I came away thinking i'd like more storage on the right side interior.. bring it out flush with the wheel well.

I'm planning to purchase an ARK tongue jack this winter, weld on the rack up front and research/purchase a small entry level solar kit. And I'm in need of a mattress replacement.. that was rough with an original.

Took it out to Pa Grand Canyon outside Wellsboro where I hadn't visited in a few years, found most of the old sites overgrown and one trashed with old household carpeting. Next time out I think i'll check out Bald Eagle SP and maybe even revisit Allegheny NF.. hoping to find a secluded waterfront site somewhere. My son is expecting some time off between jobsites soon (union carpenter), he mentioned possibly heading up to Maine to a site we found in the past, and do some fishing.

sept201910.jpg

sept20191.jpgsept20196.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles