Coleman Hot Water On Demand - Review

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Coleman Hot Water On Demand - Independent Review
PART I:

Background:
Typically when I go out it's usually for 2 - 3 day trips. Normally my wife and I would just pour some water out to wash our hair, face, and hands, and then wipe off everything else with Baby Wipes. We want to do longer duration trips, but we'd really need a shower on any trip over 3 days, 2 nights. Since the beginning of my Expedition Trailer build, I've planned for a shower system. For over a year, I've been researching shower systems for my rig. The trouble is that I don't know anybody that has one, and I don't live near anywhere that sells them in-store. Therefore all of my research has been on the internet, and most of my questions were left unanswered.

Looking at all the systems out there, I had narrowed my focus down to 3 options:

Based on 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine's shower system article in the July/August 2009 issue, I thought that I had enough info to make an educated decision and pull the trigger on the Coleman. I still had some questions and resevations, though.

With the Overland Expo only 2 weeks away, I went ahead and purchased the system this week.

Initial Impressions:
The first thing that hit me about this system is HOW BIG it is. In all the pictures I've seen on line, it doesn't look very big. The unit measures 16"L x 16.5"H x 9"W. Here is a picture of the HWOD next to a 20L Nato Jerry Can:

The next thing I noticed was that it was a lot more solid and sturdy that I had anticipated. I get the impression that you could bang this thing around quite a bit, and not hurt it.

In the box you get:
  • The Coleman Hot Water On Demand unit
  • 5 Gallon collapsible water bladder
  • 12V Car Recharger Cord
  • 110V/120 Volt Recharger Cord
  • Instruction Manual

The Recharger Cords are housed in a hidden compartment on the side of the unit. The system comes with everything you need except propane, and water!

Setting up the system:
The first this you need to do is charge the internal battery. The manual says that it should take about 8 hours to achieve a full charge. I pulled mine out, and plugged it in, and within 30 minutes the LED lights indicated a full charge.

According to the manual, the next thing that you should do is set it up, and cycle some CLR (Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover) through the system for 2 minutes (12oz CLR to 2 gallons of water). Followed by 2 minutes of cool fresh water.

After these initial steps, the system is ready for use.

System Use and Operation:
Setting up the system for use is very quick and easy. There are accessories available so that you can run this system continuously off of a garden hose, and large propane tank, or you can run it off of the standard 16.4oz propane canisters, and the 5 gallon water bladder, or dunk the hose into any open drinkable water source (such as the water in your cooler, or a stream).

Step 1: Insert the propane canister, and check for gas leak.
Step 2: Unwrap the pump hose, connect to water source.
Step 3: Rotate the faucet outward 90*
Step 4: Turn the knob to your desired water temperature.
Step 5: Enjoy your hot water!

You need to keep the system off the ground. If you have Pico or Xpress Lounger Chairs like mine, they are PERFECT! The unit always drains a little bit of water out of the bottom while it's running. The manual says that in a cold environment this drainage could freeze and damage the unit. I put mine up in my Xpress Lounger chair. The size, and the mesh bottom make it PERFECT for this.
SAR_Squid79 said:
*EDIT: I re-read the Coleman HWOD Owner's Manual, and it seems that I initially misread the part about the drainage from the bottom of the system. The manual says that you should run the HWOD system off the ground so that THE HOSE will drain, so that water will not freeze inside the hose, pump, and heater unit and damage the HWOD. In the back of the manual it says that if it leaks water from the heater, you should send the unit back to Coleman and have it repaired under warranty.

Once you turn the knob, you'll here the igniter clicking & the pump priming. You'll here the fires light, and in about 2 - 5 seconds you'll have warm water flowing! If you turn it all the way up to the warmest setting, the water will burn your hand after about 20 seconds. The water temp will still go higher - to the HOT setting, but as a safety feature you have to physically hold it on "HOT", and the water will go well over 100*. But you can't just set it on "HOT". Temperature adjustments take effect in just a couple of seconds.

The unit will not cool water. You can run water on the "COOL" setting with no heat, but the temp of your water source will be the same as the output temp. If you are running "COOL" water, you can't just go from "COOL" straight to "WARM". You have to turn the unit off, and then turn it over to "WARM".

I wasn't able to take any accurate temperatures today. My wife seems to have hidden our thermometer... I did measure the flow rate. The flow is pretty constant at 1 Gallon per minute (even with the shower sprayer attached)

Accessories:
There are many accessories available for the HWOD system.

I got the Carry Bag and the Shower Sprayer.

The Carry Bag is awesome! I would highly recommend it. It's sturdy, padded, and fits the HWOD perfectly. In addition to the HWOD, the bag holds the 5 gallon collapsible bladder, up to 4 Propane cannisters, and still has room for the shower sprayer. Definitely worth the money, and I can't see any better way to house the system - other than a Pelican Case, which would be bigger, and heavier, and WAAAYYY more expensive.

The shower sprayer is kind of weak. I think you might be better off to build your own. It's better than nothing but the pressure is kind of poor, IMO. It's only 48" long. There's no way to turn the water off. At 1 gallon per minute I don't think you'd want to let the water run continuously for a shower. You could eat through 10 gallons of fresh water QUICK!

Conclusions:
I have not used this system out in the field yet. That will be in a couple of weeks, and I will post Part II of my review after that. I am planning on using this system with my PETT Toilet Enclosure, and a GSI Outdoors Cedar Shower Deck. I'll let you guys know how that turns out.

All-in-all, I am very impressed with this system so far. I don't really have any complaints so far. The shower sprayer could be better. I'm going to go to Home Depot, and try to modify the sprayer, and see what I can come up with.

The system all packed up in the Carry Bag with the bladder, the sprayer, and 2 propane tanks weighs in at 29lbs 16oz.

Last edited:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
No problem. Hopefully it will help some body else that is trying to get info and make a decision on all the shower systems that are out there.

Like I said - I couldn't find an in-depth review or write up anywhere. ...now there is one! ;)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Ooh, thread subscribed.

I'll be interested to see:

a) how the pump handles being hooked to a sprayer with a shutoff valve. Hopefully the back pressure won't kill it.

b) if (a) kills the pump, or if the pressure still sucks, if you could "hot rod" it with a better pump...

gasman

Adventurer
most excellent write up / review.. i have been looking at that one for quite some time, im wondering about the shut off on the sprayer.. when you shut off the flow of water at the sprayer. will the burner shut off. ? it must have an impeller or somthing to sense the water flow other wise it prolly overheat pretty quick. i think you have made my desicion a little bit easier.. i just might get one..... looking forward to part 2...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Ooh, thread subscribed.

I'll be interested to see:

a) how the pump handles being hooked to a sprayer with a shutoff valve. Hopefully the back pressure won't kill it.

b) if (a) kills the pump, or if the pressure still sucks, if you could "hot rod" it with a better pump...

im wondering about the shut off on the sprayer.. when you shut off the flow of water at the sprayer. will the burner shut off. ?

I'm pretty sure that the burner shuts off if there is no water going by. I ran this thing about a dozen times today, and 1 time it took the pump about 20 seconds to prime, and by the time water started to flow the heater was not heating.

As far as the pump - I was a little concerned about burning it out, so I didn't push my luck. I pinched off the shower sprayer line a couple of times to see what would happen. It sounded like the pump sped up - but it pumped continously no matter what.

What I want to try to do is find a 3-Way valve, and a bladder that has a fill and a drain, and just hook it up where when you turn the valve "off" at the shower head, it will just divert the water back to the source. That way I'm not wasting water, or burning up the pump.

Like this:

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nice review, I got one of these last year and have used it a few times. Mine came with the bag, and I got it on sale at Canadian Tire for... I think it was $150.

Strangely, mine does not have this feature where it leaks water out of the bottom continuously? What's that all about? Also, mine has a tan coloured extrior, instead of green.

I have found it to be a real propane miser. It will heat water using much less propane than you would heating the same amount of water on a stove. The included collapsible bladder sucks though. It's kind of a last resort for me. I'm modifying mine to run off my installed 19 gallon water tank and an RV pump.

Another point, I found that in temps close to freezing, the included battery loses voltage to the point that the system will not operate. It attempts to fire, and then shuts itself off. I am modifying it to run off the vehicle battery. It might work better with a freshly charged battery, mine had been rundown somewhat. I didn't charge it before the trip because I'd read elsewhere that the battery lasts the whole season. In the morning, it wouldn't fire. I tried charging it off the vehicle, but it didn't help. When the temperatures came back up, it fired.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Thanks for the nice review

I like my Coleman water heater too.
It is kind of heavy and bulky but great on long trips.

I used a 3 gallon bucket for the water supply and just let the water from the shower wand recirculate in the bucket while washing so I don't have to turn on and off the heater.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Great write up with good pics and videos, very thorough! Thank you!

Have you considered a Helton Hot Water System. I got one of these about 2 years ago and what I like about it is, the engine heats up water so no extra fuel to mess with (I don't like to carry fuels inside my rig as I sleep there and in case of accidents) and if you hook up to a stream/lake, the water is endless. Nothing extra to carry except the pump/shower head which is quite small, a shower stall (I have one of those pop up instantly ones) and perhaps a jerry can of water (failing a natural source)...all in all, very compact and easy to use.:costumed-smiley-007

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Coleman Hot Water On Demand - PART II

Coleman Hot Water On Demand
PART II:

Ironing out the kinks:

As I stated in PART I, the biggest problem with the HWOD system, when used as a shower, was that the pump runs continuously, and it pumps 1 gallon per minute.
This means that if you used the system as-is, you could do 1 of 2 things;
  1. Eat up 5 gallons of fresh water for 1 shower.
  2. Put an on/off ball valve before the shower head to turn off the water, and risk burning out the pump.

So I realized that I had to figure out a way to turn off the shower, but keep the water circulating so I don't damage the pump. I set about seaching for the valve I needed. I found THE PERFECT VALVE at a local RV store.

It's a 3/8" 3-Way Water Heater Bypass Valve for an RV. It's intended use is to bypass the water heater and allow antifreeze to be pumped into the plumbing system without any getting into the water heater.

Once I found the valve I needed, I had to find a water source that could take a return line - because the supplied Coleman 5-gallon collapsible water bladder can not take a return line.
I went to REI and looked at all of their water storage containers. I settled on the Reliance Aqua-Tainer for $12.00.

This thing is almost like it was tailor-made for this application! The main fill neck is EXACTLY the right size to take the Coleman HWOD pump. The breather is EXACTLY big enough that I could drill it out a little bigger to accept a 3/8" barb fitting. I drilled the hole out using a 27/64 drill bit, and it's perfect!

Putting it all together:

With the valve and water source that I needed, it was time to put it all together. I went to my local Ace Hardware, and picked up:
  • 3 x 3/8"-to-3/8" Barb Connectors
  • 1 x 3/8"-to-3/8" 90* Barb Fitting
  • 12' x 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD Vinyl Hose
I was out the door for about $14.00

I used my awesome ClampTool to make all my own super clean hose clamps to put the whole thing together.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
...Continued

The Complete Rig:

My complete stand-alone Camp Shower System consists of the following items:

All these items break down to a fairly compact package, all things considered. The only thing that doesn't really compact down is the 7.5 gallon Aqua-Tainer, which when full weighs in at a whopping 64 lbs. All-in-all, this is not bad at all for truck camping.

VIDEO:

Final Thoughts:

Originally I thought that the Coleman Shower Sprayer Adapter head was going to be insufficient. After setting the whole system up and running in today, I think that it's actually going to be just fine. Also, after running the system for a while today I think that my wife and I might be able to get 3 showers out of the 7.5 gallons. I am really looking forward to using this setup at the Overland Expo next week!

*On a side note, I re-read the Coleman HWOD Owner's Manual, and it seems that I initially misread the part about the drainage from the bottom of the system. The manual says that you should run the HWOD system off the ground so that THE HOSE will drain, so that water will not freeze inside the hose, pump, and heater unit and damage the HWOD. In the back of the manual it says that if it leaks water from the heater, you should send the unit back to Coleman and have it repaired under warranty. Unfortunately I don't have time to send it back before OvEx, but I will be sending it in for repair after this trip.

Honu

lost on the mainland
bummer about your leak but sounds like you will get it fixed :)

I love mine on the couple trips I have used it on

my buddy used it above 5000 feet and thought it did not get hot enough ? so have to try that out myself ;)

also the idea of the return valve for the shower :) thanks great idea I am going to have to do as I was curious about that myself better than yelling OK honey turn it on again OK turn it off etc...

gasman

Adventurer
i didnt think it sposed to leak but i dont own one yet , one more question for ya.. you have really thought this out and have put a lot of effort into this , now, when the shower head is off, and recirculating . is it not continuing to reheat the water ? wont your supply of water get too hot,, or is there somthing in the shower head that shuts the burner off when its off.. i would not want to see somebuddy get there skin burnt off....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz