Coleman propane crockpot

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I was wandering around the local Bass Pro the other day, and saw one of these guys sitting on the shelf. Has anyone here given one a try?
I thought it might be a nice addition for basecamp for soups or chili.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Wow, interesting - any more information on it?

My first thought is how much propane it would use, and if it's practical even for basecamp. It would be great, though, to put something on in the morning and have it ready by night!

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Here's the Coleman press release on it.

It uses disposable 1-pound fuel canisters, but sounds like an all-day cook is not cost-effective: "The fully adjustable 4,000-Btu burner keeps food warm for five hours on high and up to 10 hours on low with each fuel cylinder."

It does have a steamer basket, though.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sweet!!!!!! I want one! Cook some food while im out away from base camp. Get back and have a great meal!

Can you leave it running un-attended i wonder?

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I thought it might be good for doing a roast or chili when we go out fishing or snowshoeing for the day. The propane useage doesn't seem to much for me for the amount of food prepared. Might be a little much for just the basic family, but if you were preparing for a smaller group the ease of a crockpot would make it well worth a canister of propane. I am going to pick one up this weekend and will do a review on it next week. Figure i'll break it in with a pepper roast.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Why?

Guys,guys,guys,..crockput are just the modern version of a dutch oven!!!
I love cooking with my dutch oven-same results of the crock pot, more economical-uses charcoal-and more versatile can make a mean pinapple upsidedown cake to die for...no to mention the nostalgic factor of a n iron pot ont the campfire..

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've been mulling over bringing the pressure cooker and firing up some stew... Cooks much faster and uses your existing stove.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IZZYDUSIT said:

Yes, but dutch ovens require much more attention than a crock pot....like someone to tend the fire.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I can see it now... bears target crockpots while campers are away.

Seems like a great concept, but it can't be left alone where I travel.

Pete

BlueFly

Observer
Desertdude said:
Now if you could use this while driving :REOutCampFire03:

I’ve long looked for something that would let me come back to a hot meal at camp after a day out fishing. Even thought of making a fold-up solar oven til the hungry-bears-in-the-hood idea scared me off it. :yikes:

Then I heard about the Nissan Thermal Cooker. Like many things I’d like to outfit my camper with, it’s spendy at around $100. But, it’s definitely on my list. Once you add all your ingredients and get them to a boil, it uses no power to finish the cook, just like a crockpot would. Some folks say even better.

It consists of a 5 quart pot with a bail and lid which you use on your stove-top or fire. The pot then fits into a tightly fitted thermos that will keep the heat for 6-8 hours and cook your food.

I like that it's dual use too- the pot can replace one in your cook kit and the thermos can serve as a chiller too. Champagne anyone?

And best of all, Desertdude, properly wedged into a safe, no tipping space, you could use it while driving. How cool is that? :jumping:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
IZZYDUSIT said:
I love cooking with my dutch oven-same results of the crock pot, more economical-uses charcoal-and more versatile can make a mean pinapple upsidedown cake to die for...no to mention the nostalgic factor of a n iron pot ont the campfire..
Not to mention that you can use natural fuel when you run out of store bought charcoal. (I'm a DO fan too :) )

OTOH the convience factor is there. Add to that the dual duty, camp and potlucks etc., and it may be a winner.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
BlueFly said:
I’ve long looked for something that would let me come back to a hot meal at camp after a day out fishing. Even thought of making a fold-up solar oven til the hungry-bears-in-the-hood idea scared me off it. :yikes:

Then I heard about the Nissan Thermal Cooker. Like many things I’d like to outfit my camper with, it’s spendy at around $100. But, it’s definitely on my list. Once you add all your ingredients and get them to a boil, it uses no power to finish the cook, just like a crockpot would. Some folks say even better.

It consists of a 5 quart pot with a bail and lid which you use on your stove-top or fire. The pot then fits into a tightly fitted thermos that will keep the heat for 6-8 hours and cook your food.

I like that it's dual use too- the pot can replace one in your cook kit and the thermos can serve as a chiller too. Champagne anyone?

And best of all, Desertdude, properly wedged into a safe, no tipping space, you could use it while driving. How cool is that? :jumping:

Now that is cool.
Where can you get one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz