College student looking for affordable medium duty ambulance to convert into full time living/working space.

Hamiswhatiam

I am looking for any ambulances for sale
I have been saving up for a long time and my budget at the moment is under 10k, , I am a college student trying to find an affordable medium duty ambulance to convert into my full time home and work station.

Looking for diesel ambulances pre-DEF that are the larger model ambulances like International, Horton, Freightliner, etc.
I am looking for any ambulances for sale
I have been saving up for a long time and my budget at the moment is under 13k, I am a college student trying to find an affordable medium duty ambulance to convert into my full time home.

if you might have any leads on any deals or ambulances around the US. it seems like these ambulance resellers are snatching up all the decent ones for much higher prices right now before anyone has a chance to buy it for themselves as a vehicle that they will actually use instead of reselling, so I am looking for any other leads on decent ambulances being sold that I can afford and dont have inflated reseller prices.

any additional information, experience, or recommendations for these units is also appreciated.

Thanks

1660622940606.png

1660622981058.png
1660622985451.png
1660622992600.png

2.ooohhh

I wish you luck, from what I've seen our used ambulances going for at work your budget is short to get into one of ours. They typically go through a second and even third municipal owner before they would get into that range.

Many of those "resellers" are buyers/up fitters on contract looking for ambulances they can make work for a municipality bid or private service with a more reasonable budget than a large metro fire department. They want serviceable ambulance equipment. With you basically looking for a shell it's likely to be a needle in a haystack but they are out there from time to time.

What's your budget for maintenance on these?

Hamiswhatiam

I wish you luck, from what I've seen our used ambulances going for at work your budget is short to get into one of ours. They typically go through a second and even third municipal owner before they would get into that range.

Many of those "resellers" are buyers/up fitters on contract looking for ambulances they can make work for a municipality bid or private service with a more reasonable budget than a large metro fire department. They want serviceable ambulance equipment. With you basically looking for a shell it's likely to be a needle in a haystack but they are out there from time to time.

What's your budget for maintenance on these?
I met someone that bought a good freightliner for 5500 over the summer and thats how I found out about the medium duty being sold, I can likely afford $1000 to $1500 a month being put into maintenance and repairs if needed.

broncot

Don't know a lot about ambulances, found these on Craigslist.

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

m-l_johnny

You might want to keep an eye on govdeals.
One thing you need to keep in mind when purchasing a used ambulance, they’re usually rode hard till they’re worn out. The bigger the city/ jurisdiction, the harder they’re used.
I have yet to see an ambulance that more than a few years old that hasn't developed some electrical gremlins. Have you considered possibly a utility body truck?

Hamiswhatiam

I met someone that bought a good freightliner for 5500 over the summer and thats how I found out about the medium duty being sold, I can likely afford $1000 to $1500 a month being put into maintenance and repairs if needed.
You might want to keep an eye on govdeals.
One thing you need to keep in mind when purchasing a used ambulance, they’re usually rode hard till they’re worn out. The bigger the city/ jurisdiction, the harder they’re used.
I have yet to see an ambulance that more than a few years old that hasn't developed some electrical gremlins. Have you considered possibly a utility body truck?
I have tried to use govdeals but there is a lot of resellers watching closely for anything and buying it for more than most can afford so they can make profit, haven’t seen any sell for less than 17k on there recently. Utility trucks seem like they would not be taken care of as much and are not as equipped as an ambulance would be or as well built.

2.ooohhh

I have tried to use govdeals but there is a lot of resellers watching closely for anything and buying it for more than most can afford so they can make profit, haven’t seen any sell for less than 17k on there recently. Utility trucks seem like they would not be taken care of as much and are not as equipped as an ambulance would be or as well built.

If you're being outbid regularly on govdeals you're offering below market for what you are after. Generally the only trucks in our service that go to govdeals are rigs that have major electrical issues or have been wrecked hard. Other serviceable ambulances are sold quickly at in person auctions held at our maintenance facility once new equipment has come in. They generally sell quickly and easily there unless they have issues.

You might also check in at truckpaper.com

Also, I picked up a box truck the was built out inside as a "mechanics truck" (via the Royal Auction group which also advertises on equipmentfacts.com): A built in tool box, overhead AC, passthrough from front to back, awning, full breaker panel with outlets throughout.etc.

(It's not 4x4, but with a different form factor, it offered all of what an ambulance does and is MUCH stealthier).

-S

arnavxv

I recommend checking out Ford or Chevy cutaway vans as an alternative. They'd likely have a similar amount of space, and a lot easier to convert and overall, deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior