Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

I'm driving a 2005 Tundra right now. I love the truck, but it's bloody hard on fuel. In 3 - 4 years I'll be in the market for a new truck. I'm a Toyota guy first, a GM guy second. The new Tacoma is a really nice truck, and I love the availability of aftermarket parts for it. However it's hard on fuel, the tow numbers aren't impressive and it's super expensive for what you get. The Tundra is a great truck too, and it'd be a no brainer for my next truck if it wasn't so friggen hard on fuel. Unless Toyota gets with the program and updates the Tundra engine to be more fuel efficient, I'll be taking a very hard look a the Colorado and Canyon mid sized trucks as well as quite probably looking at Sierra's again. Even a full size GMC Sierra with a 5.3L or even a 6.2L V8 gets better fuel economy, has better hp and towing numbers and gets you more for your buck than a Toyota these days. The only thing you don't get is that "Toyota reliablity", but GM has really stepped up the last couple years.

C'mon Toyota!!! You have 3 years to get your ducks in a row and come up with something new or GM is gonna take the mid size market from you too!!

Drive a few of the new manuals. After driving a couple with goofy gear spacing and the throttle nanny / emmissions tuning that dull throttle response I pretty much wrote off modern manuals. Maybe in a Porsche I could be happy with that. But a poorly done Manual is worse than a slush box.

Right there with you on that. The 5 speed in my 2015 Tacoma was very frustrating for me at first and my wife still can't get it out of the driveway without stalling 4 times. I'm willing to pay a little extra to stay in the midsize segment, just because the size is easier for me to manage in tight spaces. I will concede and buy an automatic next time, so the Colorado Diesel is right at the top of my want list.

Jnich77

Expedition Leader
Given that the 2nd generation US spec Colorado has only been in production since 2014 (sold as a 2015 MY), it is going to take some time to see how the reliability fairs.

Yes they are! Honestly don't know if they are worth it. Grappling with if I should buy another, or just buy a fullsize.
I was in the same boat. I ended up going with a Ecoboost F150, same cost as a Tacoma and I got way more truck.

I was in the same boat. I ended up going with a Ecoboost F150, same cost as a Tacoma and I got way more truck.
Think I am over vehicles in general, blame it on having a 60 mile round trip commute now, really starting to hate vehicles...all of them...nobody is building what I want and they are so dang expensive anymore. Don't feel like spend money on....well, anything. May get a more weather proof camper to replace the Wildernest, for the truck I already have and call it good.

Jnich77

Expedition Leader
Think I am over vehicles in general, blame it on having a 60 mile round trip commute now, really starting to hate vehicles...all of them...nobody is building what I want and they are so dang expensive anymore. Don't feel like spend money on....well, anything. May get a more weather proof camper to replace the Wildernest, for the truck I already have and call it good.
I got mine on sale. It was right at 32,000 out the door. While it's far from cheap, in the world of brand new trucks trucks it was a great deal. 20171111_094819.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine on sale. It was right at 32,000 out the door. While it's far from cheap, in the world of brand new trucks trucks it was a great deal. View attachment 430163

Yeah not bad.

It is a bunch of different factors, after living through the last economic crash, moving, starting over, buying another house, rebuilding my business from scratch...kinda tired of loosing and spending money. Have a real hard time wanting to spend money on something that is going to loose money. Dunno, was once a petrol head...starting to loose interest in vehicles altogether.

That's why it was so cheap, it's 2wd.
Funny how $32K is considered cheap now-a-days...price of pickup trucks has gotten waaay out of hand. Have been reading that 84% of vehicles are financed and 33-34% of trade-ins have negative equity on them. Do wonder when the pickup truck bubble is gonna burst.

I don't think 4wd adds that much cost on a truck. My Tundra was $31.2k new.
If you do some digging and are willing to go with a lower spec model, can find 4WD fullsizes sub $30K....if you really go bare bones, which trucks aren't really bare bones anymore. You can get a regular cab V6 4WD sub $25K. Remember when a simple regular cab truck is all a guy ever needed...

Funny how $32K is considered cheap now-a-days...price of pickup trucks has gotten waaay out of hand. Have been reading that 84% of vehicles are financed and 33-34% of trade-ins have negative equity on them. Do wonder when the pickup truck bubble is gonna burst.

If you do some digging and are willing to go with a lower spec model, can find 4WD fullsizes sub $30K....if you really go bare bones, which trucks aren't really bare bones anymore. You can get a regular cab V6 4WD sub $25K. Remember when a simple regular cab truck is all a guy ever needed...
I don't know if the truck bubble will burst. Sure there are a lot of pretenders financing everything, but trucks, especially heavy duty ones are usually bought as dual purpose vehicles and for cash or reasonable finance terms- if there is such a thing. I don't so much think pricing for what we get I out of hand, I just think peoples perception of what they need is out of hand. Someone was talking the other day about crazy house prices compared to their parents days- even though their parents lived in a house third the size of what they think is required and it didn't have granite countertops and an outdoor kitchen--- but they lived just fine.