Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think on the commercial side of it will be fine. Know a lot of people need a dual income just to keep on the payments, wouldn't take much of an economic ripple to have it crash again. The housing market at least where we are is a bit nutty right now...our house jumped up in value 45% within the last 3 years. That should make a person happy...but I see another crash coming. After getting out of the last one by the skin of our teeth has me nervous. And I played it very safe back then, didn't buy beyond my means. New house we bought well below our means too. Or maybe I am just getting old...seem to be more about squirreling money away anymore than spending it like there is no tomorrow. (nothing new for the last few years for me, have been singing the same tune for awhile now)
More people competing for limited housing in preferred places near good employment options drives home values up. Pretty much every major city with booming business has seen housing prices climb. Step outside the city zone and home values have not kept pace with typical investments.

You can still get a basic Dodge rubber floor, bench seat, manual windows for sub 20k. But when you can buy a 70k truck with money you might or might not pay back why not? As pointed out the financing statistics suggest new buyers are just renting trucks with others money.

My brother worked for a major Debt buyer. His office of Lawyers basically negotiated partial recovery on unpaid debts held by consumers. He got out of that biz last yr given laws passed essentially made it unprofitable. Here is the sad and scary part nearly all of the people who had unpaid debt were repetitive offenders and know that they have a far better chance of getting away with it than ever being caught and ordered to pay back what they owe. Its the same population of people who played the home loan easy big money game during the Subprime loan disaster.

The prediction is that this problem will soon hit the point where the losses are big enough that new ways to track down offenders and deny loans and credit will surface.

No doubt it will all become part of our homeless population problems etc.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Funny how $32K is considered cheap now-a-days...price of pickup trucks has gotten waaay out of hand. Have been reading that 84% of vehicles are financed and 33-34% of trade-ins have negative equity on them. Do wonder when the pickup truck bubble is gonna burst.

If you do some digging and are willing to go with a lower spec model, can find 4WD fullsizes sub $30K....if you really go bare bones, which trucks aren't really bare bones anymore. You can get a regular cab V6 4WD sub $25K. Remember when a simple regular cab truck is all a guy ever needed...

Prices are crazy compared to when? My dad bought a brand new 95 Dodge Ram for 25 grand. With inflation it’s the same price today

Clutch

<---Pass
Truck bubble will continue as long as people can make the payments... and as long as people are "locked out" of most service for new vehicles, I would guess.

Shoot.. the new Ford Limited is $93K+ fully loaded. :eek:

I won't lie... I like my F350 and it's bells and whistles... but I also like my 15 year old Tacoma just as much.

Just nuts what the upper trims are going for.

New stuff is definitely nice, at the prices they are commanding it damn would should be. But mang I don't want to pay for...no matter how nice it is, it isn't going to do the job all that much different that my current vehicles do, all it is going to do is to drain my bank account.

The moment our house hits 45%... I'll sell it and move to the Black Hills... :D

We are waiting to see if she gets tenure or not in 2 years. Can't really do anything until then...would imagine that number will deflate then. That and we really like it here...it may be our retirement house.

I think it makes the county tax assessor and those getting helocs happy, but you are right it can be nutty.

It is mainly because of the low inventory here, Idaho is the number 1 growing state in the nation right now...mostly from people escaping the crazy prices on the West Coast.

More people competing for limited housing in preferred places near good employment options drives home values up. Pretty much every major city with booming business has seen housing prices climb. Step outside the city zone and home values have not kept pace with typical investments.

You can still get a basic Dodge rubber floor, bench seat, manual windows for sub 20k. But when you can buy a 70k truck with money you might or might not pay back why not? As pointed out the financing statistics suggest new buyers are just renting trucks with others money.

My brother worked for a major Debt buyer. His office of Lawyers basically negotiated partial recovery on unpaid debts held by consumers. He got out of that biz last yr given laws passed essentially made it unprofitable. Here is the sad and scary part nearly all of the people who had unpaid debt were repetitive offenders and know that they have a far better chance of getting away with it than ever being caught and ordered to pay back what they owe. Its the same population of people who played the home loan easy big money game during the Subprime loan disaster.

The prediction is that this problem will soon hit the point where the losses are big enough that new ways to track down offenders and deny loans and credit will surface.

No doubt it will all become part of our homeless population problems etc.

In town prices are really nuts, so it is starting to push to outlining towns.

I am just not wired that way for buying vehicles. Always paid cash...and cheap about it too.

One of my riding buddy's brother was doing that debt buying thing, he was talking about the ins and outs of it one day.

I am no economist or financial wizard...hard to predict when the next crash is going to come, feeling it is going be to sooner rather than later...trying to prepared for it the best I can. Which isn't too hard in the big scheme of things...never was a really big consumer in the first place. We live fairly humble...I don't need too much.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just nuts what the upper trims are going for.

New stuff is definitely nice, at the prices they are commanding it damn would should be. But mang I don't want to pay for...no matter how nice it is, it isn't going to do the job all that much different that my current vehicles do, all it is going to do is to drain my bank account.

We are waiting to see if she gets tenure or not in 2 years. Can't really do anything until then...would imagine that number will deflate then. That and we really like it here...it may be our retirement house.

It is mainly because of the low inventory here, Idaho is the number 1 growing state in the nation right now...mostly from people escaping the crazy prices on the West Coast.

In town prices are really nuts, so it is starting to push to outlining towns.

I am just not wired that way for buying vehicles. Always paid cash...and cheap about it too.

One of my riding buddy's brother was doing that debt buying thing, he was talking about the ins and outs of it one day.

I am no economist or financial wizard...hard to predict when the next crash is going to come, feeling it is going be to sooner rather than later...trying to prepared for it the best I can. Which isn't too hard in the big scheme of things...never was a really big consumer in the first place. We live fairly humble...I don't need too much.

My wife is in the big finance world. Our finance guy is quite good our age with young kids. His number one rule you can never time the market only be in a position to balance risk and take advantage of the market changes.

The disconnect today is simply basic personal finance skills and critical thinking skill. The financially challenged will continue to have problems as long as they continue with no financial skills.

Social Security is not going to make up where personal finances fail we already see that with the homeless population challenges. Add whats probably the largest single threat to prosperity in the US that being prohibitive healthcare costs that discorage small business growth and single proprietor business which is responsible for getting families out of poverty.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not sure where this thread is headed but, back to the original post, what do these two little trucks do that is so spectacular?
Ride like a car or have great electronics?
Looks like they still do the same thing the old ones did, get our butts and stuff from one place to another. Only now with several cupholders and a backup camera. For a whole lotta money.
I'm getting along in years so, maybe I just don't understand all the hoopla.
In typical American fashion it's about competition.

Clutch

<---Pass
Prices are crazy compared to when? My dad bought a brand new 95 Dodge Ram for 25 grand. With inflation it's the same price today

Oh it is me just being an old man...."I remember when a hamburger cost a nickel!"

Think my Tacoma TRD OR was $22-23K back in '99...now they are pushing $40K. Sure it kept pace with inflation, but damn that is a lot for a little truck, that really isn't all that much different than the old ones.

Sick of the rat race, have been busting my ******** so hopefully I can bail out of it sooner rather than later.

My wife is in the big finance world. Our finance guy is quite good our age with young kids. His number one rule you can never time the market only be in a position to balance risk and take advantage of the market changes.

The disconnect today is simply basic personal finance skills and critical thinking skill. The financially challenged will continue to have problems as long as they continue with no financial skills.

Social Security is not going to make up where personal finances fail we already see that with the homeless population challenges. Add whats probably the largest single threat to prosperity in the US that being prohibitive healthcare costs that discorage small business growth and single proprietor business which is responsible for getting families out of poverty.

I dated a woman for a couple years that was in high finance, she taught me a little....boy could she make the money... and, she is one of the cheapest people I know. She had a POS 2WD Ranger that was falling apart, absolutely refused to buy a new one. She might of been the one who drove it into my head that vehicles are horrible things to throw money at.

She was able to retire in her late 40's. My very good friend, has been busting his ******** for years, was able to retire at 43...me I am shooting for 50, which is 5 years away. We all invest a little differently...but we all have one thing in common...we are all cheap SOB's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

That’s why it was so cheap, it’s 2wd.

Not really. It was "cheap" because it wasn't loaded to the gills with options I'll never use. The 4x4 STX was not much more.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Oh it is me just being an old man...."I remember when a hamburger cost a nickel!"

Think my Tacoma TRD OR was $22-23K back in '99...now they are pushing $40K. Sure it kept pace with inflation, but damn that is a lot for a little truck, that really isn't all that much different than the old ones.

Sick of the rat race, have been busting my ******** so hopefully I can bail out of it sooner rather than later.

I dated a woman for a couple years that was in high finance, she taught me a little....boy could she make the money... and, she is one of the cheapest people I know. She had a POS 2WD Ranger that was falling apart, absolutely refused to buy a new one. She might of been the one who drove it into my head that vehicles are horrible things to throw money at.

She was able to retire in her late 40's. My very good friend, has been busting his ******** for years, was able to retire at 43...me I am shooting for 50, which is 5 years away. We all invest a little differently...but we all have one thing in common...we are all cheap SOB's.
All the truly self made wealthy types I know buy used cars. But they have the money and can pounce on good deals fast. That’s where many cash buyers win. They get first dibs on the good deals.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

That’s what inflation is.

Clutch

<---Pass
All the truly self made wealthy types I know buy used cars. But they have the money and can pounce on good deals fast. That's where many cash buyers win. They get first dibs on the good deals.

Or don't buy a car at all...where we moved to you can ride a bicycle to everywhere you need. My buddy who recently retired...sold his Tacoma, and now mostly uses his bicycle and they kept her Corolla for any longer distance running around. For trips they just rent something. Do not need to be terribly rich to retire early either...just less stuff.

That's what inflation is.

Ahhh....*smacking forehead with hand* Are you kidding me!? (nooo ********! wow!) After all these years...I never knew what inflation was! Well I'll be! Man!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Now that I know what inflation is I am going to run out buy a $40,000 Tacoma... what a weight off my shoulders!

Not sure where this thread is headed but, back to the original post, what do these two little trucks do that is so spectacular?
Looks like they still do the same thing the old ones did, get our butts and stuff from one place to another. Only now with several cupholders and a backup camera. For a whole lotta money.

From what I heard the Chevy has a va-jayjay warmer, and the Tacoma gives you a reach around.

Yeah... I don't get all the hoopla either, doesn't do anything all that much different than the old crap I already have. They are shiny...so there is that.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Or don't buy a car at all...where we moved to you can ride a bicycle to everywhere you need. My buddy who recently retired...sold his Tacoma, and now mostly uses his bicycle and they kept her Corolla for any longer distance running around. For trips they just rent something. Do not need to be terribly rich to retire early either...just less stuff.

Ahhh....*smacking forehead with hand* Are you kidding me!? (nooo ********! wow!) After all these years...I never knew what inflation was! Well I'll be! Man!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Now that I know what inflation is I am going to run out buy a $40,000 Tacoma... what a weight off my shoulders!

From what I heard the Chevy has a va-jayjay warmer, and the Tacoma gives you a reach around.

Yeah... I don't get all the hoopla either, doesn't do anything all that much different than the old crap I already have. They are shiny...so there is that.

You obviously don’t understand it if you’re crying about a 40000 dollar Tacoma not realizing WITH inflation it’s the same price as the price you paid for yours. Silly little man. .

perterra

Adventurer
In typical American fashion it's about competition.

Much the same with me. They are a consumable for my needs, similar to socks and underwear. I try to buy something comfortable and well built and ignore all the built in butt scratchers and ear warmers. If you buy new, resale is a fallacy, and when I finish off my 5 to 7 years with one, theres no resale anyway. I think we have been sold/marketed to believe that vehicles are a must have to show our status or taste, just like big houses with 3 heat pumps and a pool. But I guess it could just be priorities, I have a customer who just bought a new F-250, nice truck, it was $65,000, I saw it attached to a new Ranger bass boat last week, the boat was $50,000+ I'd guess from what I have seen. The pocket knife he carries is a $3 gimme knife from some company and he drinks Busch beer. If it was me, I'd buy a cheaper truck and drink better beer and carry a better knife.

But I guess there is no wrong answer in this, our must haves all vary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier