Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

MrWesson

Adventurer
2wd, 2.7, XL. It has bucket seats and the big center console. The STX package tosses in some nice goodies.

I got a rental F150 and was shocked at how good the base 5.0 model was so I wanted one.. Or I thought until I priced one out. I got to 50k real fast.

You did good.

With CPO's and the fact that cars can go 200k pretty regularly these days the ratio of new vs used is getting larger and larger.

Something has to give.. I have a couple friends who drive new cars, new boat, make 150k and don't have 5 grand saved.

Pretty soon they'll be offering 30 year loans.

rruff

Explorer
If you buy new, resale is a fallacy, and when I finish off my 5 to 7 years with one, theres no resale anyway.

You should look at what used Tacomas and Tundras sell for. Buying new will make more sense.

I think we have been sold/marketed to believe that vehicles are a must have to show our status or taste

I haven't had a TV for 30 years, but I recall even way back then, that's how vehicles were marketed. Trucks are made for guys who like to think of themselves as Big!, manly, and rugged. But it's all BS and they are mainly used for commuting so have all the metrosexual luxury features. I wouldn't really care, but the function of the design has been compromised for style and marketing, in the form of a gratuitously tall cab and hood, and a ridiculously low payload.

perterra

Adventurer
You should look at what used Tacomas and Tundras sell for. Buying new will make more sense.

I haven't had a TV for 30 years, but I recall even way back then, that's how vehicles were marketed. Trucks are made for guys who like to think of themselves as Big!, manly, and rugged. But it's all BS and they are mainly used for commuting so have all the metrosexual luxury features. I wouldn't really care, but the function of the design has been compromised for style and marketing, in the form of a gratuitously tall cab and hood, and a ridiculously low payload.

Resale is kind of a relative thing, 300,000 mile trucks dont resale for a fraction of new cost. I have a 04 Tacoma, great truck and worth a good deal more than I would pay for it. I can buy a new Frontier for a less than a used Tacoma, but I can get a used Frontier at a decent deal. I'm not married to any brand these days. I like my old Tacoma, I liked my old Frontier just as well.

I'm not down on all the features, some are pretty nice if you are living in the damn thing. For a work (sales) truck I have a 16 F-150 XLT 4 door, had 22,000 miles on it in May, has 62,000 on it now. Honestly the nicest truck I have ever had, quiet, smooth and comfortable. I'll put 1200 - 1500 lbs in it a couple times a week, get 22 to 24 mpg.

skyfree

OK, so let's say you need something that can actually go off-road to follow your very experienced friends in some serious rock-crawling terrain. Problem is you have a full-time job and a life that doesn't leave a lot of time for building something up from scratch, or you just don't want to build anything because you are lazy or stupid. The Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD Pro are made for that person (ok, it's me -- surprise!). Yes, they are expensive, but less so than a Raptor by about $25K, and if you look at the cost of buying a lesser truck and building it, it's actually cheaper.

rruff

Explorer
I'd definitely not use a stock ZR2 or TRD Pro for serious offroading of any kind. Would need more ground clearance and bigger tires for starters. More suspension travel as well.

The Raptor is in a different category. It's considerably more "built" than these two mid size trucks. But even it isn't all that serious compared to what you can do aftermarket.

D

Deleted member 9101

I got a rental F150 and was shocked at how good the base 5.0 model was so I wanted one.. Or I thought until I priced one out. I got to 50k real fast.

You did good.

With CPO's and the fact that cars can go 200k pretty regularly these days the ratio of new vs used is getting larger and larger.

Something has to give.. I have a couple friends who drive new cars, new boat, make 150k and don't have 5 grand saved.

Pretty soon they'll be offering 30 year loans.

It all depends on which boxes you check....lol. I don't have adaptive cruise, built in trailer brake, or ano of the other 1,345 farkles Ford offers....lol.

rruff

Explorer
Resale is kind of a relative thing, 300,000 mile trucks dont resale for a fraction of new cost.

So true, but that used truck with 100k miles that costs $20k+, will not last as long as the new one I paid $31k for. And that first 100k should be the best (least bother), and it's nice to know where it's been....

Basically I had the money, so no good reason to buy used. What I got should last the rest of my life...

perterra

Adventurer
So true, but that used truck with 100k miles that costs $20k+, will not last as long as the new one I paid $31k for. And that first 100k should be the best (least bother), and it's nice to know where it's been....

Basically I had the money, so no good reason to buy used. What I got should last the rest of my life...

I dont have a problem with buying used or new, just prefer to let someone else take the depreciation now.

In the past I have had jobs that required me to buy new, well they didnt require it, but made it where new reimbursed better than used. The runzheimer reimbursement program paid less per mile after your vehicle reached 4 year calender old. It paid around a $400 a month flat fee with .28 cents a mile, after 4 years you got the $400, but the per mile dropped to like .12 cents a mile, after 5 or 6 years they only paid you the flat rate.

It's an individual thing, my wife drives a new car, or at least new ever 6 or 7 years. Me, I just trade out now when it cost more to repair than I want to spend. Though some of that depends on how much I like the vehicle. The company I work for now solved the problem of what to get by just giving me a truck. I have driven my Tacoma 238 miles in the last 6 months (I took it to the car wash yesterday). At that rate, I'll be in the grave before it's worn out.

skyfree

I'd definitely not use a stock ZR2 or TRD Pro for serious offroading of any kind. Would need more ground clearance and bigger tires for starters. More suspension travel as well.

The Raptor is in a different category. It's considerably more "built" than these two mid size trucks. But even it isn't all that serious compared to what you can do aftermarket.

Well, I used to go on some pretty adventurous trails in Colorado in my 2WD 1981 Toyota truck. Later I had a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon, which probably had about 70 hp that I used to get up to the paragliding launch sites with 4 people and 4 wings on board. If it got stuck we got out and pushed. Most recently I had a 2012 VW Touareg TDI with 30.5" AT's that did ok except for ground clearance. Either truck would be a vast improvement over any of those :)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

How in the world does anyone go off road in either of those? . I have a unimog and a I enjoy taking my tundra and fj60 off-road just as much.

rruff

Explorer
Well, I used to go on some pretty adventurous trails in Colorado in my 2WD 1981 Toyota truck.

I guess I did in my '84 as well. The bottom of it was dents over dents, everywhere. Gas tank and oil pan included.

But you said "something that can actually go off-road to follow your very experienced friends in some serious rock-crawling terrain." That isn't either of our 2wd trucks by a long shot.

skyfree

I guess I did in my '84 as well. The bottom of it was dents over dents, everywhere. Gas tank and oil pan included.

But you said "something that can actually go off-road to follow your very experienced friends in some serious rock-crawling terrain." That isn't either of our 2wd trucks by a long shot.

Definitely not! I should have been more specific because I realize that some people's definition of serious rock-crawling terrain would be way worse than mine. I'm thinking about terrain that may require stacking rocks to avoid high centering, with approach and departure angles being the other important limitation. Ground clearance is sometimes not as important if you place your wheels carefully with a spotter. A good example of this would be Steel pass in Death Valley south of Eureka Dunes.

My point is that there is a market for these vehicles that makes sense to some of us that don't want to spend time and money on aftermarket solutions when a "mild" off-road solution exists off the shelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94