Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com compared the Colorado ZR2 diesel with Tacoma TRD Pro, both top of the line off road oriented models. The Colorado diesel wins on points, the Tacoma took more categories. So there's something for fans of each brand.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/07/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-vs-2017-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro.html

Tacoma narrowly out-pointed Colorado in these categories
Powertrain, Acceleration, Interior and Value

Colorado diesel won these categories by wider margins
Braking, Suspension, and Rock crawling

These Categories were a tie:
Off-Road Technology, and Dirt and Sand Running

Overall winner: Colorado diesel with 143 points to Tacoma's 138 points.

Now we're left to think what the comparison between the gas engine Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD Pro would be like. If the Tacoma barely beat the ZR2 diesel, surely the gasoline engine Colorado would beat both in the acceleration test.

Adventurous

Explorer
In my eyes the biggest conclusion is that neither one of these trucks is worth anywhere close to the sticker price. Mid 40Ks for that kind of performance? Are you kidding me?

Clutch

<---Pass
But are there more high-mileage Tacomas, or Colorados on the road?

Given that the 2nd generation US spec Colorado has only been in production since 2014 (sold as a 2015 MY), it is going to take some time to see how the reliability fairs.

With that said, even non-PRO Tacomas are insanely overpriced for what you get, and have been for many years.

Yes they are! Honestly don't know if they are worth it. Grappling with if I should buy another, or just buy a fullsize.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was/am after a reliable, "utility" truck with just enough modern creature comforts to keep me happy, and room to mod to my heart's content, so with that criteria, I think the Tacoma is hard to beat. Especially since I live in the city and park underground. With that said, there are definitely days that I wish I had gone for a Tundra. I can see the extra cab room (and definitely the V8) being nice. And with all the modifications (read: weight) I've added, fuel economy should be fairly similar.

That's is what I am battling with, loaded down Tacoma doesn't get all that great of gas mileage, about the same as a fullsize if not worse, and a bit underpowered when loaded, think shell FWC, 5X8 enclosed trailer.

Model I am looking at is $35K before tax and title. A lot of 1/2-3/4 ton trucks out there for $35K and below.

Main reason I am looking at a Tacoma is it is one of the few with available manual transmission. Spec wise it is a bit lack-luster compared for the same [or less] money spend on a fullsize.

Last edited:

dcwn.45

Observer
If I was going to drive a stock truck I would look at others, but I think the Tacoma wins by a landslide if you consider aftermarket support.

If I was going to drive a stock truck I would look at others, but I think the Tacoma wins by a landslide if you consider aftermarket support.
I WISH I could get the fuel range/efficiency of a diesel ZR2 but the lack of aftermarket keeps me with my current truck.

Clutch

<---Pass

I WISH I could get the fuel range/efficiency of a diesel ZR2 but the lack of aftermarket keeps me with my current truck.

The ZR2 is basically done.

How much aftermarket do you need? With a quicky google search, I can find winch bumpers, sliders, toppers, bed racks, suspension, etc for it. Are you guys just not looking?

Dalko43

Explorer

Like Clutch says, how much more really needs to be added to a ZR2, at least for overlanding purposes? Front and rear lockers, factory-tuned suspension, rock guards? I think the most I would add to one is a hidden winch mount, and those are should be relatively easy for the aftermarket companies to produce or even to have one custom made.

The Colorado/Canyon platform is still young, and only just recently have its sales #'s started to rival the Tacoma's. Give it time and the aftermarket will continue to cater to it.

As for the original post and article, I'm not surprised. I think most, myself included, acknowledge the Tacoma's pedigree and reputation. But Toyota has been building pretty much the same truck (with slight variations) for over 13 years now. Meanwhile GM comes out with engine options and a dedicated offroad version (the only other 4x4 sold in NA with front and rear lockers are the Power Wagon and the G Wagon). Of course auto journalists are going to gravitate to the vehicle that is new and innovative.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
pushing 115,000 in my 2015 z71, its still going strong with only a minor issue here and there (replaced my rear brakes at 111.000 miles), my very small sample size seems to support colorados being fairly reliable lol

Clutch

<---Pass
pushing 115,000 in my 2015 z71, its still going strong with only a minor issue here and there (replaced my rear brakes at 111.000 miles), my very small sample size seems to support colorados being fairly reliable lol

Does it have traction control? Read that vehicles with traction control eat the rear brakes a little quicker than normal. (none of my vehicles have traction control, so I don't know)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does it have traction control? Read that vehicles with traction control eat the rear brakes a little quicker than normal. (none of my vehicles have traction control, so I don't know)
Brakes at 115k? Umm that would be exceptional life regardless of traction control. Especially if its seeing any kind of loaded dirt treking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles