Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

D

Deleted member 9101

Think I am over vehicles in general, blame it on having a 60 mile round trip commute now, really starting to hate vehicles...all of them...nobody is building what I want and they are so dang expensive anymore. Don't feel like spend money on....well, anything. May get a more weather proof camper to replace the Wildernest, for the truck I already have and call it good.

I got mine on sale. It was right at 32,000 out the door. While it's far from cheap, in the world of brand new trucks trucks it was a great deal. 20171111_094819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Clutch

<---Pass
I got mine on sale. It was right at 32,000 out the door. While it's far from cheap, in the world of brand new trucks trucks it was a great deal. View attachment 430163

Yeah not bad.

It is a bunch of different factors, after living through the last economic crash, moving, starting over, buying another house, rebuilding my business from scratch...kinda tired of loosing and spending money. Have a real hard time wanting to spend money on something that is going to loose money. Dunno, was once a petrol head...starting to loose interest in vehicles altogether.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's why it was so cheap, it's 2wd.

Funny how $32K is considered cheap now-a-days...price of pickup trucks has gotten waaay out of hand. Have been reading that 84% of vehicles are financed and 33-34% of trade-ins have negative equity on them. Do wonder when the pickup truck bubble is gonna burst.

I don't think 4wd adds that much cost on a truck. My Tundra was $31.2k new.

If you do some digging and are willing to go with a lower spec model, can find 4WD fullsizes sub $30K....if you really go bare bones, which trucks aren't really bare bones anymore. You can get a regular cab V6 4WD sub $25K. Remember when a simple regular cab truck is all a guy ever needed...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Funny how $32K is considered cheap now-a-days...price of pickup trucks has gotten waaay out of hand. Have been reading that 84% of vehicles are financed and 33-34% of trade-ins have negative equity on them. Do wonder when the pickup truck bubble is gonna burst.

If you do some digging and are willing to go with a lower spec model, can find 4WD fullsizes sub $30K....if you really go bare bones, which trucks aren't really bare bones anymore. You can get a regular cab V6 4WD sub $25K. Remember when a simple regular cab truck is all a guy ever needed...

I don't know if the truck bubble will burst. Sure there are a lot of pretenders financing everything, but trucks, especially heavy duty ones are usually bought as dual purpose vehicles and for cash or reasonable finance terms- if there is such a thing. I don't so much think pricing for what we get I out of hand, I just think peoples perception of what they need is out of hand. Someone was talking the other day about crazy house prices compared to their parents days- even though their parents lived in a house third the size of what they think is required and it didn't have granite countertops and an outdoor kitchen--- but they lived just fine.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't know if the truck bubble will burst. Sure there are a lot of pretenders financing everything, but trucks, especially heavy duty ones are usually bought as dual purpose vehicles and for cash or reasonable finance terms- if there is such a thing. I don't so much think pricing for what we get I out of hand, I just think peoples perception of what they need is out of hand. Someone was talking the other day about crazy house prices compared to their parents days- even though their parents lived in a house third the size of what they think is required and it didn't have granite countertops and an outdoor kitchen--- but they lived just fine.
You make an interesting point. Housing prices are relatively speaking more expensive in absolute dollars when measured against income or net worth but I wonder if price per sq-ft that would still be true. I think that was recognized to some extent because it seems around here developers are building more reasonably sized houses, some of which are more or less what I'd build if doing a new house.

The previous credit bubble encouraged 4,000 sq-ft McMansions that fit less in real lifestyles and budget than it did speculators. I don't know that housing-to-income will ever be the same as 1950 or 1980 or whatever again, but it's not really a straight across comparison when a 1500 sq-ft ranch with bedrooms and baths used to be typical and now a "typical" house is 2x that with chef's kitchens and media rooms.

So I think the same is true of trucks. My old 1991 had a sticker around $13,000 I think new, which adjusted for inflation would be around $23,500 in today's dollars. That truck was a 4 cylinder, 5 speed, XtraCab DLX 4WD and a brand new Tacoma SR with a 4 cylinder and stick in Access Cab 4WD is roughly the same. A 2017 SR Access Cab 4WD is $26,100 MSRP here but even that isn't exactly 1:1 because my 1991 was bench seat, still listed power steering as an option (although all 4WD had PS by then), had the AM/FM radio, didn't have A/C, cassette, air bags, etc. The SR now is more like the SR5 was back then.

But I bought a used TRD OR instead of a new one and it cost about the same $23K. So new that truck is +$10K and that's because of V6, 6 speed, cruise, locker, etc. So trucks have gone upscale comparably but their real inflation-adjusted price really hasn't when comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
crazy house prices compared to their parents days- even though their parents lived in a house third the size of what they think is required and it didn't have granite countertops and an outdoor kitchen--- but they lived just fine.

If you compare apples to apples house prices are still crazy in some places. As in the very same house you grew up in, you couldn't afford. But that is due to land values which have nothing to do with the price of trucks or any other manufactured product.

The value of money is <50% of what it was 30 years ago. The cost of vehicles pretty much kept pace from what I can tell, and the new ones have a lot more features... many of which I'd pay to have removed, but still...

Getting back on topic, I kinda like the 2.8L diesel in the Colorado, and they have emissions delete kits out now. If I could have gotten that in a Tacoma I would have really been tempted, but a new Chevy just isn't as tempting to me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As in the very same house you grew up in, you couldn't afford. But that is due to land values which have nothing to do with the price of trucks or any other manufactured product.
Land value is affected by investment and inflation but it's also a commodity that increases in value otherwise. That's because it's one thing that they can't build more of so as long as population is increasing real property value must also. Regardless of what dollars and economies do having a place to park your butt and grow food remains.

Clutch

<---Pass

I think on the commercial side of it will be fine. Know a lot of people need a dual income just to keep on the payments, wouldn't take much of an economic ripple to have it crash again. The housing market at least where we are is a bit nutty right now...our house jumped up in value 45% within the last 3 years. That should make a person happy...but I see another crash coming. After getting out of the last one by the skin of our teeth has me nervous. And I played it very safe back then, didn't buy beyond my means. New house we bought well below our means too. Or maybe I am just getting old...seem to be more about squirreling money away anymore than spending it like there is no tomorrow. (nothing new for the last few years for me, have been singing the same tune for awhile now)

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The housing market at least where we are is a bit nutty right now...our house jumped up in value 45% within the last 3 years. That should make a person happy...
I think it makes the county tax assessor and those getting helocs happy, but you are right it can be nutty.

bkg

Explorer
Truck bubble will continue as long as people can make the payments... and as long as people are "locked out" of most service for new vehicles, I would guess.

Shoot.. the new Ford Limited is $93K+ fully loaded. :eek:

I won't lie... I like my F350 and it's bells and whistles... but I also like my 15 year old Tacoma just as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles