Colorado Duramax thread

Dalko43

Explorer
I can't believe the premiums being charged for ZR2s on the lots. At best, no discount, at worst, they are going for a $3-5,000 mark up from msrp. I figure for the price of a decently outfitted LT trim model, I have several thousand to upgrade suspension, lockers, tires, bumpers, etc.

I think you'll be spending more than several thousand to outfit a base Colorado the same way a ZR2 is.

Srpat

Observer
I think you'll be spending more than several thousand to outfit a base Colorado the same way a ZR2 is.

I was kind of thinking upgrades to an LT would be about the same price as a ZR2. The difference would be a different suspension set up that could clear a 33" tire, heavier duty leafs, and air lockers from ARB, if they are even available. Why not just get the ZR2 then? I tow a lot and would like more than a 5,000lb max, don't like the idea of replacing their fancy shocks, and the rear shock mounts are still a problem.

I have a feeling that once you add sliders, winch, bumper, etc, that the ZR2 suspension is not ideal for the extra weight. Maybe I'm
Wrong.

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you know if anybody has relocated the bottom rear shock mounts? .

http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-...-stops-rear-outbound-mounted-multimatics.html

473123a22d781c4f79448257850959e2.jpg

rickc

Adventurer
Hi folks: Sorry I'm late responding to an earlier comment; if you put a camper top in the truck bed you will void your warranty. The manual and, I think a note in the glove box door, bot state not to put a camper top in the truck bed. It's odd and I'm not sure why GM Chrysler would set themselves up this way; the Canyon/Colorado was supposed to be direct competition for the Tacoma.

Dalko43

Explorer
Hi folks: Sorry I'm late responding to an earlier comment; if you put a camper top in the truck bed you will void your warranty. The manual and, I think a note in the glove box door, bot state not to put a camper top in the truck bed. It's odd and I'm not sure why GM Chrysler would set themselves up this way; the Canyon/Colorado was supposed to be direct competition for the Tacoma.

Adding a camper to your Colorado won't automatically "void" your warranty. If GM can prove that the camper caused a malfunction requiring repair, they can deny your warranty claim for that issue.

Toyota Tacoma isn't exactly rated to carry a camper + all the traditional mods you see owners throw on. People do it anyways because they either don't care or they mistakenly believe its safe to upgrade the suspension and call it good. I have no idea if Toyota has historically denied warranty claims for trucks with campers.

Etoimos

Observer
Do you know if anybody has relocated the bottom rear shock mounts? I cringe every time I see a Colorado. They stick so far down from the axle and they are so far away from the wheels, unlike a Tacoma. Just curious. One of the many questions floating through my head as I figure out if I want to buy a Tacoma or Colorado. And does anybody have any information on adding front/rear lockers? Does ARB make an air locker? How about the need for re-gearing with a 33" tire and how high do you need to lift this to fit a 33" tire in a square hole? I can't believe the premiums being charged for ZR2s on the lots. At best, no discount, at worst, they are going for a $3-5,000 mark up from msrp. I figure for the price of a decently outfitted LT trim model, I have several thousand to upgrade suspension, lockers, tires, bumpers, etc.

I think skids for the shock mounts is the way to go to solve that issue. There are much larger differences between the Collie and the Taco that should be the driving factors on purchasing one over the other. I test drove both back to back and the Taco was so uncomfortable to sit in for even the 20 min test drive that it is not even an option for me. My knees were up at almost window level and I'm only 5'10". The sales guy's knees were at window level. I can't believe that trck has not seat height adjustment. Over $40k and I can't even adjust the seat up or down. SMH.

I'm not sure where you shopping for the ZR2 at, but in Colorado they are mostly going for MSRP and I've found them for as low as $38k in Kentucky. Yes, it was a brand new diesel ZR2 and even had the Bose option and a few others I did not pay any attention to. From what I have read and was told by the AEV Colorado guy at Expo West this past weekend is that the ZR2 can fit 33"s with next to no modifications, just very minor trimming depending on the wheel and tire combo.

I was kind of thinking upgrades to an LT would be about the same price as a ZR2. The difference would be a different suspension set up that could clear a 33" tire, heavier duty leafs, and air lockers from ARB, if they are even available. Why not just get the ZR2 then? I tow a lot and would like more than a 5,000lb max, don't like the idea of replacing their fancy shocks, and the rear shock mounts are still a problem.

I have a feeling that once you add sliders, winch, bumper, etc, that the ZR2 suspension is not ideal for the extra weight. Maybe I'm

Wrong.

You'll need to add front and rear bumpers to your list of need mods in order to get the approach and departure angels as well. That's another $2.5k-$3k. It is that nice suspension and lift on the ZR2 that lowers it down to 5,00lbs. Modding a LT with lift and shocks is going to kill it's tow rating just as they do to the ZR2. It's all a compromise.

Etoimos

Observer

I don't think it is that odd that they put that warning in there. The truck only has a 1500lbs payload capacity and a small foot print. Not a good combo for a slide in camper. If someone need one of those, they should really be looking at a full sized truck.

Do you know if anybody has relocated the bottom rear shock mounts? I cringe every time I see a Colorado. They stick so far down from the axle and they are so far away from the wheels, unlike a Tacoma. Just curious. One of the many questions floating through my head as I figure out if I want to buy a Tacoma or Colorado. And does anybody have any information on adding front/rear lockers? Does ARB make an air locker? How about the need for re-gearing with a 33" tire and how high do you need to lift this to fit a 33" tire in a square hole? I can't believe the premiums being charged for ZR2s on the lots. At best, no discount, at worst, they are going for a $3-5,000 mark up from msrp. I figure for the price of a decently outfitted LT trim model, I have several thousand to upgrade suspension, lockers, tires, bumpers, etc.

No one is really regearing for 33s, they seem to think it's not really needed, you should really pose these specific type of questions on coloradofans.com all this info is already there and more.

ZR2 wheels on a Teardrop?? Advise please.
Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have recently bought this used Lead Dog Hiker Teardrop. The original owner had a Jeep so he had it built with Jeep wheels (5 on 5).
My tow vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 which has a 6 on 5 hole pattern. I went to the local Trailer source store to try and find matching trailer hubs and I was told that trailer hubs are only available in 6 on 5.5". Someone else mentioned that there might be an aluminum adapter available to install an actual Chevy hub on a trailer axle but couldn't help me locate such an animal. Anyone have any ideas how I could match my Chevy wheels on my teardrop ?

I can almost guarantee you wont be able to rehub you trailer to match. Chevy went with an almost completely new bolt pattern on this truck 6x120 and afaik there is only 1 other vehicle that uses it, which is a Cadillac. You can buy adapters though.

rickc

Adventurer
re. slide in campers: The manual states the following:
"Adding a slide in camper or similar equipment to the vehicle can damage it and the repairs would not be covered under warranty. Do not install a slide in camper or similar equipment on the vehicle."
The glove box note states: "This truck should not be used to carry a slide in camper."

By stating this, GM can claim that any suspension, tranny or even engine issues may be related to carrying a slide in camper and refuse to honor the warranty. GM don't have to prove anything because they said "do not install". As Etoimos noted, the payload is limited. My 2016 Z71 crew cab long box is rated at 1330lbs for cargo and occupants. With a cap, platform, RTT, rear carrier and wheel, bumper, winch and three kids I'm almost there!

tennesseewj

Observer
The "no-slide in camper" disclaimer has been in half-tons for years so I'm not sure why people are surprised to see it in a midsize...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

B^2

Observer
Does the "no slide in camper" rule apply to bed racks that hold roof top tents? Just wondering how anal retentive GM would get with weight in the rear modifications.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Does the "no slide in camper" rule apply to bed racks that hold roof top tents? Just wondering how anal retentive GM would get with weight in the rear modifications.
Seems like it fall under add-on loading and would be most similar to ladder racks?

colorado_loading.png

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The disclaimer doesn't seem like it would leave much room for interpretation on a slide-in, although I wonder what they would call similar equipment. Is a Flippac or Habitat "similiar".

colorado_slidein_camper.png

Etoimos

Observer
ZR2 wheels on a Teardrop?? Advise please.
Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have recently bought this used Lead Dog Hiker Teardrop. The original owner had a Jeep so he had it built with Jeep wheels (5 on 5).
My tow vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 which has a 6 on 5 hole pattern. I went to the local Trailer source store to try and find matching trailer hubs and I was told that trailer hubs are only available in 6 on 5.5". Someone else mentioned that there might be an aluminum adapter available to install an actual Chevy hub on a trailer axle but couldn't help me locate such an animal. Anyone have any ideas how I could match my Chevy wheels on my teardrop ?

Contact Nuthouse Industries about some hubs. I talked with them a lot at Expo West and they said they could match the trailer wheels to my (not purchased yet) ZR2. Their engineer owns a diesel ZR2 that he had there with a cool bed rack on it.

Dalko43

Explorer
GM might be the only one to explicitly state it, but realistically all these restrictions apply to the Tacoma as well. People toting around bed-mounted campers with fully kitted Tacaom's are well outside of OEM specs, but they do it anyways.

An A/T camper should be fine so long as the payload isn't exceeded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94