COM GEAR WHAT YA GOT?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have met alot of people from the expo events here in California and I always get the same question where do you hide all of the radio equipment? Well I retired a Motorola Specta radio over the weekend and replaced it with a new digital P25 XTL5000 vhf radio and VRS. I strip the truck,seats carpet and center console ect so I can run wires and place them in a safe area so they do not get pinched.I It is alot of work but worth it in thed end. Here are some pictures of the work and finished product. Ya I have a lot of comm in my turck. All wires are wrapped in protective covering.

Attachments

• DSC03191.JPG
    DSC03191.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC03192.JPG
    DSC03192.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC03193.JPG
    DSC03193.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC03194.JPG
    DSC03194.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03196.JPG
    DSC03196.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC03197.JPG
    DSC03197.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03198.JPG
    DSC03198.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 68

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Some more. Showing a Syntorx 9000 low band under passenger seat and PA package on back bulk head. Every red power wire was in wire loom before the truck went back together, antenna cables also. And a few shots of the finished work. The 800 Mgz radio is for California state Parks system,desert, I am X law enforcement and will cover a park ranger in the Anza Borrego area if he calls for help in the area, His help could be over an hour away and most of the rangers know me. The Low Band is all CHP radio freqs in the state,The Yeasu FT8900R is my ham.The VRS is hooked up to the XTL5000 radio whick I can mode steer to any channel I want in the XTL radio. Works like the CHP radio hand held to car radio then to a higher transmit power. With this radio I can steer the radio to any transmit channel with a handheld radio just buy changing the PL on the hand held radio. The XTL5000 has CDF,Cal fire,Forrest dept,ham,Clevland fire marine channels,railroad,fire air to ground ect. When camping in the back country I like to listen to the local fire dispatch in that area, tells ya alot on fire conditions and what is going on.

Attachments

• DSC03199.JPG
    DSC03199.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03200.JPG
    DSC03200.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03201.JPG
    DSC03201.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03204.JPG
    DSC03204.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03203.JPG
    DSC03203.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03207.JPG
    DSC03207.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC03208.JPG
    DSC03208.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Way nice outfit. I think your com gear alone is more valuable than my whole truck. Easily, in fact. Now that I think about it all that would be the end of my tired alternator!

Dennx

Adventurer
Holy crap wow. I just got my tech ticket and ordered a Yaesu FTM-400DR. Do you really need all that!? ;)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I had a FTM-400. I sold it when we sold the vehicle it was installed in. I decided to keep the FTM-350 I already had installed, the FTM-400 was worth more and trying to untangle the mess to get the FTM-350 would have been a nightmare.

It's a good radio. Some of the points on that review are wrong (it does have cross band repeat, had all the manuals and you can use the SD card to program it) and others have been addressed or will be in firmware revisions. If I was in the market I'd buy another without hesitation.

The one and only major fault isn't with the radio but Yaesu's decision not to use an existing digital mode. As far as the C4FM mode itself, that worked fine on the radio. Just not many other people to talk to yet with it.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
It is a decent radio, wish I could find one that did all bands including low band say 30-45.

Dennx

Adventurer

Yep, already read that and other reviews. Since it's my first radio I think it will do fine. Overall it's a great radio with or without digital. I like the integrated GPS, APRS, touch screen, on screen keyboard and user interface. It's one of those situations where a brand is trying to advance its product and many balk at its first attempt. Just call me an early adopter. :smiley_drive:

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Nice work. Very professionally done and something to be very proud of. Too bad I do not live closer. There might be some steak and beer in your future...

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Throw in some Maine lobster and we will talk!! Thanks for the comment.
Nice work. Very professionally done and something to be very proud of. Too bad I do not live closer. There might be some steak and beer in your future...

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Just ordered a Yaesu FT-8800 today. Will be pairing it with one of two antennas, a Larsen nmo2/70b or nmo2/70sh. I'll use the black one for the majority of the time but ordered the short for tight trails. Just have to determine a good place to install the nmo mount. I'm thinking front of the vehicle (jeep jk) and am even considering ********** in the middle of the hood for best performance.

Will report back here once it's all installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I would say in the middle of the roof. Best omni patteren for all around performance. The 8800R is a good little radio.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Borrego60...Curious about one thing. Why not stick with recycled motorola for your V/UHF ham gear? Its something I am pondering when time comes to buy a new truck and do a build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94