Commercial Truck Tires

Carl2500

Observer
Alright I'm looking at my options for new tires for my truck. My project is making a camper truck, that's still very off road capable. I want to take it up through Canada and Alaska, so it'll see alot of highway miles.

I'm exploring the possibility of running commercial truck wheels (10 lug 22.5x8.25), and commercial tires.

Here's why,
I'll get good ground clearance from the height of the tires. (tires listed below are 41-44" tall)
I'll get great fuel economy for a tire that big.
They should be easily available just about anywhere.
They should last over 300K miles.
Each tire is rated to 6175lbs (The truck's 6280lbs now , I expect almost 9K after the camper is loaded)
The large diameter rims, and narrow tires with stiff sidewalls, should help in the snow.

I went to a local dealer and they recomended some Kelly KDM drive tires front and rear.

They are $392 per tire (I could get cheaper retreads in the rear too), wheels would be $95 for steel, or $250 for aluminum.

Here are the specs for the tire.
http://www.kellytires.com/commercia...ucts/akdm1.html

Also, take a look at this website, www.ricksontruck.com, they carry 19.5" tires for the same kind of application.

Thought I'd post some of the figures I was coming across,

225/75/R16 stock tires = 37lbs each, 148lbs total
My 38/15.50/R18 tires = 98lbs each, 392lbs total
KDM 295/75/R22.5 tires = 128lbs each, 512lbs total

16X6.5 stock wheels = 26lbs each, 104lbs total
My 18X12.50 wheels = 36lbs each, 144lbs total
22.5X8.25 wheels = 55lbs each, 220lbs total

480lb difference from stock to commercial tires
196lb difference from my current setup to commercial tires

It's definitely some additional weight, I'm wondering if it will be worth it.
Right now the motor is making around 400HP/700TQ to the wheels. I don't think it'll have a problem with the weight of the tires.

So what are your thoughts?

mcgovski

Adventurer
Carl 2500
I have got a similar setup to you with similar "plans" I Have the steel rickson 19.5's with Hankook tires. Off the top of my head I dont know the tire size, bit I am at about 35" tire height. I Love the tire / wheel combo. It is different, they track different on the highway, like you are on train tracks...they have been great in snow, but they are lacking in mud. you cant air them down I have been told and I have not tried...
post some pics of your rig, I would love to see what you are doing. I am working on 2 sets of 6 volt batteries in series, 568 amp hours (I think) plus expanding my solar panels...

Carl2500 said:
Alright I'm looking at my options for new tires for my truck. My project is making a camper truck, that's still very off road capable. I want to take it up through Canada and Alaska, so it'll see alot of highway miles.

I'm exploring the possibility of running commercial truck wheels (10 lug 22.5x8.25), and commercial tires.

So what are your thoughts?

You want the smallest possible wheels for a "very offroad capable" vehicle, not the largest. Notice I said wheels, not tires.
Put the 16X6.5" wheels back on.
A Michelin 11.00R16 XZL is 38.7" tall and has a 4800 lb load capacity per tire. Enough for 9600 lb on the rear axle, equal to your entire stated weight.
That tire you CAN air down. The tire weighs 107 lb.
If you stay on pavement and hard dirt roads then the 22.5 will work fine, but it will dig right into soft terrain untill your diff hits.
A 295/75R22.5 is ~40" tall.

Charlie

mcgovski

Adventurer
I wish I had found this forum a couple of years ago when I was outfitting my truck / camper. I was pretty much scared into tire failure by another RV based forum because of load weight. I would have look into other options.
Airbags? they fail under load every trip. the bags greatly improve the handling, prevents back front and side to side rock. But when you are driving along and you drop 60lbs out of 1 bag, its a bit hairy. perhaps overload springs are better? (sorry for the rant)
Rickson 19.5 w/commercial tires are great, but they are going to dig right in as previously stated.
Dang, now this thread has got me thinking....

762X39

Explorer
I would definately stay away from the 22.5 inch truck tires you were looking at.It isn't the power your engine makes that would be a problem (lots of larger rigs make much less power).You would very likely grenade your drive train trying to turn such a heavy tire/rim combo.The rotational forces on your axle shafts and diffs will be awesome (in a bad way).Your truck was never designed to handle such forces as it is only a 3/4 or 1 ton whereas the tires you describe are typically used on a 5 to whatever ton truck that travels over the road.Charlie has it right, go back to a 16.5 inch rim and use the Michelins.

psychohawk

Observer
Similair concern I too am sorting out, though I question going to XZLs ...

1) I'm not sure these are made any longer
2) even if they are, they're not in stock at every tire rack from here to AK
3) they have a low speed rating ... ~ 60 MPH

16" rims, even though stock, will have a reduced ground clearance over a larger rim.

19.5" rims seem a good alternative, one I'm considering myself; 21.5" seems too much, as mentioned previously.

17" or 18" might be better if sticking to a LT format, but you're back at the weight dilema.

Summary: I'm leaning towards the 19.5".

psychohawk said:
Similair concern I too am sorting out, though I question going to XZLs ...

1) I'm not sure these are made any longer
2) even if they are, they're not in stock at every tire rack from here to AK
3) they have a low speed rating ... ~ 60 MPH

16" rims, even though stock, will have a reduced ground clearance over a larger rim.

19.5" rims seem a good alternative, one I'm considering myself; 21.5" seems too much, as mentioned previously.

17" or 18" might be better if sticking to a LT format, but you're back at the weight dilema.

Summary: I'm leaning towards the 19.5".

1) The XZL is available worldwide including the US. The MSPN is 82224. The XZL is a modern tread design designed to replace the XL and be longer lasting and more roadable in the process*, along with the XML in a few sizes.

2) Isn't the whole point to buy the best tire, not the cheapest most available tire? Anyone travelling to remote places should consider carrying a 2nd unmounted spare.

3) The speed rating is 68mph, not 60 mph. Most 19.5s and 22.5s are rated at either 65 or 75.

Charlie

* The XZLs on my U500 are wearing at the rate of 70K miles for the rears, 90K miles for the front. Is that enough tire mileage?

Last edited:

psychohawk

Observer
charlieaarons said:
Isn't the whole point to buy the best tire, not the cheapest most available tire?

I would agree, but I also want a tire that can be replaced should the need arise ... I challenge you to show me a website where I can buy these tires tomorrow. Not eBay and not "Chuck's Garage" down the street. A well known retailer that has new tires in stock, ready to go.

BTW, Michelin's web site doesn't list them in the sizes you're suggesting.

www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZL

Robthebrit

Explorer
The size you need is not classed as a truck tire, you need pickup tires.

XZLs can be hard to find in smaller sizes, lots of land rovers run them.

EDIT: Ok, I just looked and 1100r16's are next to impossible to find new, may not be the best tire to use being so hard to find.

Rob

Last edited:
psychohawk said:
I would agree, but I also want a tire that can be replaced should the need arise ... I challenge you to show me a website where I can buy these tires tomorrow. Not eBay and not "Chuck's Garage" down the street. A well known retailer that has new tires in stock, ready to go.

BTW, Michelin's web site doesn't list them in the sizes you're suggesting.

www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZL

I could call the tire dealer in Anchorage 9 miles from my house (the same one I purchased a set of 8.25R16 XZLs from) and he could order a set. He could have them in 2-3 days if one were willing to pay air freight, 2 weeks by land/sea (to Alaska). In fact, I will call him tomorrow and let you all know the outcome. I have a .pdf "Michelin Truck Tire Characteristics". "A" means availability; "L" means limited availability. "+" = not available. 11.00s are marked "L". I had a Michelin military guy at their HQ in S. Carolina tell me recently that a "+" tire, 475/80R20 XML, was "easy to order".
Also: rim size has nothing to do with ground clearance; only tire size. A high tire/rim size ratio implies better performance at lower pressures and a much better ride over rough terrain, also higher load capacities at lower psi, since the air chamber has more volume. The big widely publicized trend towards lower profile tires with bigger rims is an appearance/fad thing; I understand the reasons for espousing 22.5s are different but really 19.5 is the limit for pickups for several reasons and then in short tires (even F450/550 uses 32s stock; Earthroamer runs 35-36" singles in 19.5 or 22.5).
I have spent years researching tires on pickups and other light vehicles with solid axles (like M37s & Landcruisers) and I really think 40" outside diameter is the max for a 1 ton pickup with Dana 60 front axle for reliability.

Charlie

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
I guess another question to add to this is if a person put the Michelin 11.00 XZL's on a one ton truck would there be a clearance issue in the front? Would a little body work and fender flares be required? What are the chances that one of the spares would still fit in the factory location under the vehicle? BTW, how do they ride? How are they on ice and snow?

Carlyle said:
I guess another question to add to this is if a person put the Michelin 11.00 XZL's on a one ton truck would there be a clearance issue in the front? Would a little body work and fender flares be required? What are the chances that one of the spares would still fit in the factory location under the vehicle? BTW, how do they ride? How are they on ice and snow?

I put 11.00R16 XLs on my 88 F350 with only a 2" add-a-leaf lift. They occaisonally rubbed the front springs very slightly at full lock. No flares needed.
Ride is great on dirt roads due to the quantity of air in the tires and the necessity to run at only 55 psi in the rear with almost 7000 lb on the rear axle, about 45-50 in the front. At speeds under 2mph you can sometimes feel the lugs on smooth pavement; not as much as with XLs. They hum a little bit at speed.
My XZLs on my U500 (much bigger, double the load) do really well on ice - good braking, no understeer.
The spare would definitely not fit in the stock location. I looked long and hard for a rear bumper with a swingaway tire mount (I had a 4 Wheel camper) and finally got one.
Incidentally this size Michelin is quite popular with owners of old Dodge Power Wagons and M37s, along with 9.00R16.

Charlie

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
These sounds like nice tires to put on as soon as my 305 Nitto's wear out, that won't take long at the rate my truck chews them up! I guess I need to start planning a rear swing away rack for a spare or two. I wonder if I could use this as a way of incorporating a bumper behind the camper and have it fold down to create a set of stairs to the camper... Any design planners out there?

Answer: they can be ordered from the Michelin warehouses in the US. $718.75 each. By a Michelin dealer, using the MSPN I gave you. Figure raising your gearing two notches, like from 3.73 to 4.56.
I called a local Michelin truck tire dealer and got an answer 3 hrs later.
You'd have less fit issues depending on the truck with 255/100R16 XZLs, the replacement for 9.00R16: 36.5" instead of 38.7", lighter. I don't have the MSPN for that tire. It also has an excellent load capacity: 4675 lb at 85 psi @ 62 mph or else 3750 lb @ 65 psi @ 68 mph. My guess for those would be $600 each.

Charlie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz