Commercial Truck Tires

psychohawk

Observer
boblynch said:
You may want to check out the last few pages of this thread. Milo12 started a discussion of the suitability of using the same tires as the Earthroamer for his Dodge build up. Scott Brady and Charlie offered additional info.

You may want to compare notes with Milo. You appear to have similar requirements. Best of luck. Let us know what tire you pick.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5328

I just read it (beginning on page 4) and it seems there's no definitive answer there either ... matter-a-fact, the only thing common between this post and the other is Charlie touting the XZLs.

For me, the Toyo M55's are looking tempting.

Carl

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, you are going through Toyo MTs that fast!?

Carlyle said:
So the general consensus is that the Michelin military tires and too rough on the prolonged highway use and I know I'd hear it from the wife on that one... If so, what does that leave a person for tire choices on a 16" rim? A 19.5 rim and tire combination leave you very limited off road ability as you can't air down. To have a decent size tires with some clearance you need, IMHO for what's it's worth 33" or greater. What is available with a decent load rating that is going to wear well and be able to air down? The Nitto's or Toyos' (same company and basically the same tire), are a once a year tires at $200 a piece. Goodyear makes a Kevlar tire called the Silent Armor with a load rating E, but I don't know much else about it.

Any other suggestions out there?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Probably a good option. Just to make sure you are 'fully informed' you did read the M55 thread I linked?

The new Toyo M55 in load-range-E, mounted on a nice, true, aluminum wheel (16x7 or 16x8) and a set of Centramatic continuous wheel balancers would be a nice combination for heavy use. I would recommend this much more than the XZLs.

psychohawk said:
I just read it (beginning on page 4) and it seems there's no definitive answer there either ... matter-a-fact, the only thing common between this post and the other is Charlie touting the XZLs.

For me, the Toyo M55's are looking tempting.

Carl

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
8.25r16 Xzl

I was at a new (to me) tire dealer today. I looked at some 285/75R18 (35”) Toyo MTs they ordered for a friend who decided to stay with 33s, priced some wheels (both 16 & 18") and inquired about the ever elusive, expensive, and extreme duty XZLs.

As posted above I had a set of 9.00R16 XZLs for a short time, didn't really like them for a variety of reasons, and still don't think they are the best tire for most of us (including me). Though I'm just as interested as the next guy in some cool exotic stuff.

The Michelin MSPN is 46526 for 8.25R16. They are load range D (good, not F like the 9.00R16) and if the computer was correct the distributor's ‘cost’ is $360.00 a tire. That means they would probably cost $400.00 or much more... maybe $500.00.

The tire shop made a call to their Michelin rep and he is supposed to check on the availability. If they are available through these guys it would be cool to get a set, but I'm sure not practical. And if they are 34", then only about one half inch height gain over the much more available 255/85R16.

I'm more likely to buy the 35" 285/75R18, or simply another set of 16" wheels, but you never know... :) :)

Carlyle

Explorer
I finally got an answer back from the tire shop in Edmonton, AB and they have the ZXL's 9.00's at 90% tread for $500 a piece and they would not arrange shipping. $2500 plus unknown amount of shipping and duty for used tires... Now I just need to know if there is a comparable tire to the Toyo M55 in a size larger than 285/85-16 with a load rating?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm not a fan of tall wheels, BUT the 285/75R18 I mentioned above seems to have merit. Not too wide, 35" tall, 4,000-lb load rating in a Toyo MT

Carlyle said:
I finally got an answer back from the tire shop in Edmonton, AB and they have the ZXL's 9.00's at 90% tread for $500 a piece and they would not arrange shipping. $2500 plus unknown amount of shipping and duty for used tires... Now I just need to know if there is a comparable tire to the Toyo M55 in a size larger than 285/85-16 with a load rating?

Carlyle said:

$500 each? They charged me $400 each for 395/85R20 XZLs with 90% tread; about 2.5 times as much tire. Maybe supply and demand?
For that price I'd consider new ones for a fraction more. Incidentally, if you get new ones try to get the newer version 255/100R16 XZL.
Regarding 8.25R16s, the load capacity is 3195 lb @ 65psi @ 75 mph. So load capacity is not super-duper; it's merely the same as "normal" 235/85R16-285/75R16 type tires. If one wants super single type load capacities one must consider tires in the 9.00R16 to 325/85R16 size range. Or even 335/80R20s on a class 4 or 5.(1)

Charlie

(1) as mentioned elsewhere on the forum the highest load capacity 335/80R20 is not a Michelin, it's a Continental MPT81 at 6600 lb

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's good to know the capacities of the 8.25R16. I don't need the extra load range. 3195-lbs is about the same as 255/85R16 (3000 @ 65psi), should ride better, and 75-mph rating is better too for my applications. However, I'm likely to stay with light-truck tires for: choice, cost, availability, etc., etc.

charlieaarons said:
$500 each? They charged me $400 each for 395/85R20 XZLs with 90% tread; about 2.5 times as much tire. Maybe supply and demand?
For that price I'd consider new ones for a fraction more. Incidentally, if you get new ones try to get the newer version 255/100R16 XZL.
Regarding 8.25R16s, the load capacity is 3195 lb @ 65psi @ 75 mph. So load capacity is not super-duper; it's merely the same as "normal" 235/85R16-285/75R16 type tires. If one wants super single type load capacities one must consider tires in the 9.00R16 to 325/85R16 size range. Or even 335/80R20s on a class 4 or 5.(1)

Charlie

(1) as mentioned elsewhere on the forum the highest load capacity 335/80R20 is not a Michelin, it's a Continental MPT81 at 6600 lb

Carlyle

Explorer
After much deliberation I've decided to get a set of 19.5" wheels this summer and put on a set of Goodyear G-124 265/70R19.5's. This looks like a good compromise for load capacity versus traction and I won't have to replace tires every year hopefully. Anyone have a set of 19.5" wheels they want to sell?

haven

Expedition Leader
A fellow from Australia using the name "engineer" recently posted the following in the Mitsubishi Heavy Truck area of the forum:

"...Has anyone here tried the 19.5" singles? They are the pick at the moment in Oz..."

So he/she may have more information about what 19.5 tires are the favorites in the Outback.

Chip Haven

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Probably a good choice for maximum wear and load carrying.

Carlyle said:
After much deliberation I've decided to get a set of 19.5" wheels this summer and put on a set of Goodyear G-124 265/70R19.5's. This looks like a good compromise for load capacity versus traction and I won't have to replace tires every year hopefully. Anyone have a set of 19.5" wheels they want to sell?

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks Chip, I'll check that out. Lot's of pluses to 19.5's and the only disadvantage I can see is not having the ability to air down below 65 psi. In reality, I use my vehicle more for back roads than off road. Know your limitations and keep a plan.

wild1

Adventurer
19.5 tires

I will be interested to see what you think of the 19.5s on your superduty, a fellow camper was running them on his duramax crewcab with a camper weight similar to mine and was very happy with them. He was up in the 35,000 mile range and they looked like they had lots of miles left. He had done a lot of gravel and back roads and they worked great for those uses. I have tried the 285/75/16 super e and they have been a mixed bag. My Toyo MTs were a very rugged tire but they wore very quickly under load, I currently have the e rated BFG all terrains and they are doing much better from a durability standpoint. Michelin has also come out with a super e in this size and it is highly regarded for wear by the tire guys where I shop. Even with the higher ratings of these tires you are still pushing the upper edge of thier capacity. The bottom line is 12,000 trucks are hard on lightduty truck tires and the 19.5 is probably my next purchase.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is "Super E' a new load range rating I'm not familiar with? I know of C,D,E,F,G etc. but Super E?

wild1 said:
I will be interested to see what you think of the 19.5s on your superduty, a fellow camper was running them on his duramax crewcab with a camper weight similar to mine and was very happy with them. He was up in the 35,000 mile range and they looked like they had lots of miles left. He had done a lot of gravel and back roads and they worked great for those uses. I have tried the 285/75/16 super e and they have been a mixed bag. My Toyo MTs were a very rugged tire but they wore very quickly under load, I currently have the e rated BFG all terrains and they are doing much better from a durability standpoint. Michelin has also come out with a super e in this size and it is highly regarded for wear by the tire guys where I shop. Even with the higher ratings of these tires you are still pushing the upper edge of thier capacity. The bottom line is 12,000 trucks are hard on lightduty truck tires and the 19.5 is probably my next purchase.

wild1

Adventurer
super e rating

Probably more of a marketing term then a tire industry standard, I first heard it used on the new generation of e rated 285/75/r16 tires rated to carry 3750 pounds at 80 psi, this was a signifigant step up from the standard e rated 235/85/r16 at about 3050 pounds at 80 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz