Compact, non-cast-iron frying pan and dutch oven?

I have an 18" Partner Steel stove and I'm currently using a 10" cast-iron frying pan. This works fine, but I'm finding that the cast iron is a bit more work to maintain (clean, keep seasoned, etc.) than I'd like. I'm considering replacing it with a different 10" pan, and am also thinking of getting another item that could be used alongside the pan, at the same time. Something for more... liquid~y foods, soups, chilli, etc. I've never had a dutch oven, so maybe that's worth exploring as the option.

Are there any "small, but "mighty" items that you can recommend as a pairing for the frying pan? How about frying pans themselves? Tons of cheap options, lots of expensive ones, too. Not too sure what the differences are at this point.

I've found some small (~3 quart) "enameled", cast-iron dutch ovens. Seems like a good option that would work.

I have a Partner Steel dutch hard annodized aluminum. They have them in various sizes and they cook beautifully no scorching , they are great as a dutch and on the stove. The top also can be used as a griddle. This has become one of our favorite cooking pots/dutch/griddle. If you love the stove you'll love the dutch oven/pot.

Last edited:
We've had a couple lightweight folding handle skillets that we like a lot. I think one is an REI brand (12"), but the other is a GSI 10"like this ( I think they were both made in the same factory)

I don't like non stick pans for home use because the surface starts to wear off in less than one year's use. But for camping I'm starting like them as much as my cast iron (I'm a die hard cast iron user at home). The thing with my camping setup is it gets used so much less the non-stick coating lasts multiple years.

And unless you just barely re-seasoned you cast iron, the non stick pan is so much easier for flipping omelets in, and cleaning is a breeze. I'd say just get a decent 10" non-stick from the store for $20-$30.

I normally use cast iron as well but have had for many years so very well seasoned. I also have carbon steel which is also very nice, bought Matfer, but both if new and/unloved can rust. I have read good things about GSI anodized- you might check out the pressure cooker option. I also recently bought a snow Peak three qt caldera on sale which is a beautifully done bare aluminum pot. As mentioned above non-stick ceramic also starting to join the party.

One thing to think about is, for Dutch oven, do out want to use only on stove or do you want option to use coals, in which case you will need one with legs.

I would say absolutely DO NOT go for the enameled cast iron-it is great for home use but unless you plan to baby it you will begin to see it chip pretty quickly I think in camping environment, particularly the cheaper brands.

So bottom line you have tons of options in every price range..welcome to the addiction!

Last edited:
Having the enamel chip is a bummer. I was planning on using those exclusively for camping.

As for use - stove-top, only.

Will check into those GSI and SnowPeak options.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We use cast iron for home and camping, but as said they do require a bit more upkeep and weigh a lot more. I have a lightweight anodized GSI cook set for hunting, cleanup is a matter of wiping it out with a paper towel and tossing it in its mesh bag.

We use cast iron for home and camping, but as said they do require a bit more upkeep and weigh a lot more. I have a lightweight anodized GSI cook set for hunting, cleanup is a matter of wiping it out with a paper towel and tossing it in its mesh bag.
Is your GSI stuff part of their Pinnacle or Halulite lines?

Amazon reviews for the GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Frypan mention warping problems, which is something I'd like to avoid.

For cheap nonstick durable pans I like the restaurant supply type ones. They usually have three rivets attaching the handle and a silicone rubber grip. If you have a restaurant supply around hit that or we can get them at Costco or Sam's Club/Walmart down here. They have them on Amazon too. Around $20. A quality beater for the kitchen box if you don't mind a non-folding handle.

I like to go lightweight on the dutch ovens too, the GSI anodized aluminum are really nice to use. Practically non-stick, cook great, easy clean, no maintenance, no rust, and light. A bit pricey. Kind of like the partner stove ones mentioned but round.

Well hell, if you want to kick it up a notch, Magma
Interesting option. Actually looks like better bang for the buck than the SnowPeak offerings.

I see that there are "induction" and "non-induction" options. Do you know whether the "induction" pots/pans can still be used on a grill, over an open fire?

// edit - According to the description on Magma's site, the "induction" items can be used on gas stove tops.