Compact, non-cast-iron frying pan and dutch oven?

Interestingly enough, Walmart has the lowest pricing on the Magma 10-piece, Ceramica-coated set, at $193 with free shipping. Lowest price on Amazon is about $20 more.

// edit - pulled the plug and ordered this set. Thanks for the tips & suggestions, everyone!

CCH

Adventurer
I have been using the GSI Pinnacle folding handle fry pans for a while. Have not run into warping. Going to try out the Pinnacle griddle as well.

Looking at Walmart for Magma seems a lot of alternative sellers. I think I would be careful. Bought mine at West Marine (I think) and was very happy. I got the Cermica and so far extremely happy. The only issue is that Magma has not approved them for campfire cooking-same with all non-stick.

Looking at Walmart for Magma seems a lot of alternative sellers. I think I would be careful. Bought mine at West Marine (I think) and was very happy. I got the Cermica and so far extremely happy. The only issue is that Magma has not approved them for campfire cooking-same with all non-stick.
That's probably a question of temperature. I've read that this non-stick coating should not be used when temperatures exceed 500F.

I'll be using these 100% on the grill, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

The Magma set arrived.

The largest pan has a very small chip on the top of the inner lip. A bit of a bummer, but not enough of a worry for me to start the exchange process.

Overall looks like a quality set. I suspect I'll leave the largest pan at home, as it's simply too large to be needed, and will build my chuck box around storing the remaining items.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Another option for compact pans: Your local Asian market.

I have used the REI and GSI folding-handle skillets, and they work pretty well. Before that, though, I was in a bind to find a pan that would fit the limited space in my chuckbox (handles are always the issue). At my local Asian market I found a whole range of 8" and 10" carbon-steel and non-stick pans that had handles that attached with a single metric screw (via a nut brazed or spot-welded onto the pan). I hate trying to clean around the handle-rivets in a pan anyhow, so this was a great solution. Taking it one step further, I swapped out the phillips head screw for the handle to a socket-head cap screw, since it's cheap and easy to keep a couple of allen wrenches in the chuckbox's oddments drawer.

I'll probably go back to these pans eventually since I can see that the coating on my current GSI pan is starting to get pitted from abuse.

Oh man that sucks about the chip. I'm sure you've seen them, but you can also add an omelet pan, strainer basket and padded case. We added the first and last but so far no need for a strainer.

For pots, I use the GSI Halulite series, which are really nice and lightweight. However, for pans, I did want something non-stick. I was going to go with the GSI Glacier Stainless Frypan, but saw these (https://ausker.com/the-definitive-cookware-series-on-kickstarter/) on Kickstarter and had to give them a shot. I like the fact that they don't use Teflon and have a detachable handle. My most used "pan" though is probably my Nordic Ware griddle with backsplash from Costco.

Oh man that sucks about the chip. I'm sure you've seen them, but you can also add an omelet pan, strainer basket and padded case. We added the first and last but so far no need for a strainer.
This is the chip:

It's on the outer lip of the largest pot. A bummer, but not a big deal for me.

Thanks for the reminder about the other goodies. Just ordered the omelet pan. Don't think I need the other items for now.

// edit - On closer inspection of the other items, I found four similar, but much smaller chips on the outer edge of the frying pan. :( The frying pan and this large pot come in contact when stored, right in the damaged areas, so I suspect this was a problem that occurred during shipping. Would have been a good idea to add more packaging/padding between these two items.

Last edited:
I am curious as to where you bought the Magma set? Mine seemed well packaged with no chips etc.

I would definately contact the seller as that is unacceptable in my book.

Honu

lost on the mainland
a while ago bought a partner steel griddle and one of the best purchases ever :) no more cast iron for camping just to much hassle and yeah I can do it but why cooks the same and clean up is even easier and I can just leave it out so when I get up in the morning ready to roll :)

we also dumped our cast iron dutch ovens some time ago and use the hard anodized GSI ones thanks to hilldweller (think that is correct user name) some time ago when he talked about them and they are like the partner incredible it was actually these we had first :) and figured they were so good the griddle would be great

knowing now what I know about the partner dutch ovens I kinda want two of those when I have luxury money to replace my perfectly good GSI :) with the lid being double use etc.. IMHO go for those and use them as pans :)

even things like the monkey bread the kids love OK I do to :) its so so so so easy to clean up compared to cast iron its not even a comparison

also for camping with the weight and durablity and lack of maintenance I am amazed more are not using the hard anodized stuff and still using cast iron :)

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
If you are looking for a pot made specifically for camping use, with a non-fixed handle for compact storage, a bail that either folds down or can be removed, is steel, and some designs have a method to latch (but not seal) the lid on, then look at the various versions of Aussie camp ovens or Bedourie. The two most common brands are Southern Metal Spinners and Hillbilly Camping Gear. These are really made for campfire cooking, usually with large-ish groups. But there are smaller versions and the features also work well for camp stoves.