Completing the Continental Divide Trail

JackAttack13

Observer
Sub'd. Looks like a great trip! Those sinkholes are no joke. I once got buried up to my frame in a sinkhole. Took hours to get out. Looking forward to updates!!

Nomadic52

Observer
Its cool to see that overlanders have discovered this route. As many of you may know this was originally mapped as a long distance border to border mountain bike tour route by Mike McCoy for the Adventure Cycling Association, of which I've been a member for years. I just recently gotten into overlanding with our Hummer H3 that we did a build on this spring but back in '01 Clement Salvadori and I were the first to ride it border to border by motorcycle. He published an article in the April 2003 issue of Rider magazine about our tour citing it as "the best tour I've ever done in North America" and that broke the news to motorcyclists all over the world as to what an awesome adventure ride this is. I rode the route in '06 under my own power for the first time and it was interesting to note that I encountered more motorcyclists than mt. bikers That year. I'm sure there are some bicyclists that are less than pleased with what Clement and I set in motion, but from my perspective, adventure is adventure whether you're using muscle power or internal combustion, it's all about the journeying. My wife and I are planning an August motorcycle trip on the GDMBR starting in Helena and riding south the Salida before heading back home to Bend. It's been a tough choice between taking our BMW GSs and going in comfort in our H3 though.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Its cool to see that overlanders have discovered this route. As many of you may know this was originally mapped as a long distance border to border mountain bike tour route by Mike McCoy for the Adventure Cycling Association, of which I've been a member for years. I just recently gotten into overlanding with our Hummer H3 that we did a build on this spring but back in '01 Clement Salvadori and I were the first to ride it border to border by motorcycle. He published an article in the April 2003 issue of Rider magazine about our tour citing it as "the best tour I've ever done in North America" and that broke the news to motorcyclists all over the world as to what an awesome adventure ride this is. I rode the route in '06 under my own power for the first time and it was interesting to note that I encountered more motorcyclists than mt. bikers That year. I'm sure there are some bicyclists that are less than pleased with what Clement and I set in motion, but from my perspective, adventure is adventure whether you're using muscle power or internal combustion, it's all about the journeying. My wife and I are planning an August motorcycle trip on the GDMBR starting in Helena and riding south the Salida before heading back home to Bend. It's been a tough choice between taking our BMW GSs and going in comfort in our H3 though.

Everything is changing but like you said, adventure is adventure. I'd like to believe the more people are outside the better outside becomes. Otherwise public land access will dwindle if we aren't using it. And as to Clement's article, it's here in case anyone wants to read it. I just found it the other day while looking for more information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online