Composting or cartridge toilet ?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Java,
I looked at the NH, what I don't like about the design is it just spins the waste. At the end of the day, as my buddy states " you have S$*T on a stick". Look at the C-head, I took their idea and modified it.
Kevin

B85

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input !

Think I will go with the C-Head. Main reason is I don't need to build it. Looks to be a well thought out system and the size is right.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input !

Think I will go with the C-Head. Main reason is I don't need to build it. Looks to be a well thought out system and the size is right.
Chead is best design IMO, because it buries it to the bottom. I don't like having to crank from the top so I have made a system that uses a elec drill drive to turn the blade.
Kevin

Ramdough

Adventurer
Is the blade absolutely necessary? I like the idea of a biodegradable plastic bag I can dump and a blade seams like it would risk damaging the bag.

Thinking DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
Is the blade absolutely necessary? I like the idea of a biodegradable plastic bag I can dump and a blade seams like it would risk damaging the bag.

Thinking DIY.

There is no bags in the C head, just a 5 gallon bucket. You dump the bucket after composting.

In my design I have a bucket mounted to the base and one that slides inside it. When done camping, I wanted to be able to take that bucket out and put a lid on it so it can keep composting. Replace it with another bucket and add sawdust. My blade and attachment have very little cost so you could have 2-3 buckets and interchange them when needed.
Kevin

B85

Adventurer
From my point of view, I think the stirring is very important. It should cut down on the amount of dryer that needs to be added per day/use. I like the bag idea but wont work with a blade.

My plan will be to have a bag in a spare bucket for dumping. My wife and I have been composting for some time now and this will just be added filler. Once the poo is broken down its all good. Also we will use the RV ,TP in the mix. The idea of a can with used TP in it just puts me off.

As for #1 we will just run it through the filter system and drink it again ? Just kidding. Don't think I will ever be a Astronaut ? LOL

Ramdough

Adventurer
From my point of view, I think the stirring is very important. It should cut down on the amount of dryer that needs to be added per day/use. I like the bag idea but wont work with a blade.

My plan will be to have a bag in a spare bucket for dumping. My wife and I have been composting for some time now and this will just be added filler. Once the poo is broken down its all good. Also we will use the RV ,TP in the mix. The idea of a can with used TP in it just puts me off.

As for #1 we will just run it through the filter system and drink it again ? Just kidding. Don't think I will ever be a Astronaut ? LOL

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I am leaning toward building my own setup.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Here is mine. It uses saw dust in a 5 gallon bucket, and has a crank that spins the arm and buries the feces. It also separates the urine.
Kevin

Did you make some sort of trap door like the Natures head or Separrett? Is one necessary or just nice so you don't look at the compost?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Did you make some sort of trap door like the Natures head or Separrett? Is one necessary or just nice so you don't look at the compost?

No not using one. When you are done turning you will see clean sawdust. Close the lid just like at your house. My wife might not want it that way, we will see....:)
Kevin

Trestle

I lived with the Nature's Head for a year and a half. One couple who eat lots of fiber. The only issue I had (besides the price) was standing up to piss. The velocity when standing up to piss would overwhelm the setup even with the trap door shut. Then we had sewage, and a nasty clean out. Learned my lesson, pissed like a girl by sitting down from then on out, and no issues whatsoever beyond scale building up in the piss bottle. We used the coconut husks from Amazon, and dumped it about every 6 weeks. One pack of coconut lasted 4 charges. I tried peat moss, but liked the coconut coir better. The thing is still in my camper, and despite no use in two plus years with the fresh set of coconut in there and the fan running the entire time...it keeps humming along. Someone on here modified one so that you didn't have to deal with the piss bottle. That would be my preference. The piss bottle has a flat top, and likes to glug when poured out. Tried it slow, fast, etc. and never really liked dealing with it. Then you really never get all the piss and scale out since the top is flat, and the hole in the top is in the center. A simple tapered top, even a slight taper from the sides to the entry/exit hole would have helped immensely.

Joe917

Explorer
Go composting all the way. Black water is a total non starter as soon as you leave North America, dump stations are almost non-existant. Cassettes are a PITA to handle, we have friends with them.
I would highly recommend the Natures Head and I agree with the comment about how the urine tank pours. We dump our urine tank almost always daily. The compost box has never gone less than 3 weeks(2 adults) At the moment we have gone 3 months with a fresh box and one dump, we are close to another dump. Worrying about dumping waste is a total non issue with a composting toilet.
4 years living with the Natures head, best change I made to the truck.
www.thewanderingheffalump.wordpress.com

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
An option from Separett is a waterless urinal that tee's into the urine drain from the loo itself. It's quite compact too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne