Composting Toilet — Report on 8 months full time usage

Neil

Observer
Hi Jason

I love composting toilets. Really. If I had a cabin in the woods then I would have one and make fantastic compost.

None of the reviews talk about having them in vehicles and I think this is the issue.

Interestingly one of them suggests that after 1 month you need to separate the old additions from the new as the old additions are good to go but more recent additions need to be dug out and kept in sesperate container for a few more weeks until its good to go.

One reviewer actually suggests that the best solution is to have 2 toilets and alternate between them monthly.

Sounds great.

Another interesting review suggests that you must never use any sawdust as it clogs them up.

Anyway, have you got that truck yet. If so we need pictures

Best wishes

Neil

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
… None of the reviews talk about having them in vehicles and I think this is the issue.
Ask and ye shall receive: https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/composting-toilet (https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/composting-toilet) They produced a ton of videos and went on to install a Nature's Head on their boat.

And what am I? Three years of use doesn't count? (And I even have a 917!) The sawdust comment is simply silly. Not sure what there is to clog unless you pour it in the urine channel. (Don't laugh, one young lady seems to have done exactly that. :eek: )

Finally, however long you leave stuff in a composting toilet it is far, far less vile than the output of a black tank. :)

Enough potty talk, go enjoy Sucre.

Neil

Observer
Sucre is fantastic. Probably the best city in south America so far. Clean, alive, friendly and pretty.

Might stay here for a few weeks.

Neil

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Sucre is fantastic. ...
Might stay here for a few weeks.
Only ever spent a few days there. (Part of that time was waiting for a new tire from La Paz.) We stayed in a nice hotel a few blocks from the main square. Great fun getting our truck (Isuzu Trooper) into the parking area. Singani sours on the roof top!

Beyond the weaving schools there are dinosaur tracks on a canyon wall. The museum of Bolivian history will introduce you to the idea of a president "de facto" and, of course, there is the silly miniature Eiffel Tower. ;-)

As it happened, we visited twice in rapid succession and discovered a wonderful guide, a young lady named Fanny. Sadly, I no longer have her card, otherwise I would send you her name.