Composting Toilet Tips and Tricks

Mattersnots

Adventurer
At risk of being known as "that toilet guy". I thought I might share some of the pointers I've learned using the composting toilet for many years.

My original review on the portal is here but the pictures are missing for some reason. You can see the whole story with pictures on my blog here.

This is the material you want to use. I bought this at home depot. I think it was 12 dollars for 3 cubic feet. This bag will last one person two years or more depending on usage.
IMG_20181203_122016.jpg
Some folks have had luck with the coconut fiber but there was no comparison in my opinion. The coconut is difficult to break up, and caused the toilet to smell. I only carry one brick with me as a backup because it's so compact.
IMG_20181209_085018.jpg

My biggest complaint with these toilets is how they don't mix all of the material. It's a round agitator path in a square compartment.
IMG_20181203_115002.jpg
This reduces the efficiency and takes up valuable composting real estate. I spoke with the owner of Natures Head and he said it needs to be there for the toilet to work properly. When asked why there weren't any fingers or spikes on the agitator he said it was just because of liability. Those of you that use one of these know that when it starts getting full it becomes difficult to get the agitator bar into the material. In other words you can no longer crank the handle. I'm currently trying an experiment. I put these hose clamps on the agitator to see if it breaks up the material better.
IMG_20181203_115451.jpg
Always leave the agitator in the vertical position. If it's horizontal and you drive the compost compacts and it's much more difficult to turn. When dumping the toilet, always break up the material in the bottom of the toilet and circulate it with the new compost. If you don't do this moisture can stay in the unused part making it more difficult to mix and rotate. If you need to extend the toilets use before dumping you can mix in the bottom. This can extend the time before dumping up to a week for one person.

When it does start getting full and more difficult to turn I found the set screw on the handle wants to come loose or just doesn't hold. I pulled my allen key out and hit the end with the grinder so now the part on the agitator axle is flat and flush rather than rounded.
IMG_20181209_083543.jpg
And now the worst part. That darned pee tank. It's disgusting and not fun to deal with. I experimented with removing the dump tank in my FirstRoamer. It worked out so well that I've expanded that model in the latest camper. Notice in this shot the black hose comes out the bottom replacing the pee tank.
IMG_20181203_121715.jpg
That hose goes to an 8 gallon "yellow" tank underneath. Ignore the powered step wiring in process....
IMG_20181203_122127.jpg
This tank is drained using an electric ball valve.
IMG_20181203_122112.jpg
At the end of that hose is a regular garden hose adapter. You can then choose how to get rid of your yellow tank contents.
IMG_20181203_122144__01.jpg
Hope this helps someone. Composting toilets are amazing. For those of you who are on the fence between the standard black tank system vs this one read up on it. Far as I know most folks who installed composting toilets would never go back.

S2DM

Adventurer
Great review, thank you. We love ours and I’ve been experimenting with removing the yellow tank as well in favor of a hose and a remote tank location. Glad to see someone else had done the same before I forged ahead with the same maneuver ;)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We love ours. Emptying the peebottle before it reaches 1/2 full makes it a lot easier to deal with. I'm horrified about a possible spill inside the camper...
I used that coconut fiber ones.... never again, braking it up (with water) is such a mess.

eporter

Adventurer
My Chinook's whole water/toilet/tank system was removed long before I got it. I think a composting toilet and (maybe) a small tank underneath would be a whole lot easier to add back in. If you're removing the pee bottle, does it make sense to go with another brand/DIY over the $900+ Nature's Head?

I've pooped in a lot of 50cal ammo can, and 5 gallon bucket, groovers on river trips, so I don't need something tooo fancy. Maybe something in between?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Good info. I am planning on building my own because the natures head doesn't exactly fit where I want to put it. I was planning on a rounded bottom for the chamber so it's interesting to hear them say that it won't work like that. I wonder why exactly? I was planning a separate pee tank under the camper box too. I like mechanical actuation though so I was going to put a morse cable on a standard ball valve to drain it.

Any chance you have more detail pics of the natures head unit? Things like how they seal the shaft on the agitator or any other functional details would be nice.

Marko1960

We have an Airhead unit in our camper...very happy with it, the liquids bottle is easy to access and empty, a simple matter of loosening 2 wingnuts and pulling out. No mess or spillage.

eporter

Adventurer
Something like this ~$286 SmartJon seems like a good compromise between the ~100 bucket w/ a pine box around it, and the ~1000 Natures Head/Airhead. I like that the Smart Jon seems to be made on a small scale, with a lot of off-the-shelf components. Basically classing up the bucket for liquid and bucket for solids/sawdust setup.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183581062105...rk=11&rkt=24&sd=352520258120&itm=183581062105

s-l1600.jpg

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Great thread! We are considering taking the plunge and getting an Airhead for our build. Our plans are to take this truck outside of the USA into South America. One question we have is the composing media, what are people using when they are traveling away from places where this is readily available?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Since those toilets are really just poop dryers

Thanks for the info and the laugh. Funny thing is on the manufacturer's website they never call them "poop dryers", though that is more accurate. I wondered if sawdust would work, in our travels in developing nations there always seems to be a furniture/window/door shop in every town.

Marko1960

Download the "Humanure Handbook". Has all necessary information re composting toilets.....process, construction, legalities, usage, and is based on science and usage.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Agreed, as long as the liquids and solids don't mix it seems to work with many materials. I've tried wood shavings like they put in rabbit cages and that didn't work at all. I wasn't able to turn the handle very well because of the coarse material. I was in Mexico once and used powdered laundry soap. Worked well but not something you'd want to bury when done. What I like about the peat moss is that it's very fine and absorbent. It also gives back to nature when you bury it rather than becoming a toxic spill.

eporter

Adventurer
Look at the c-head cost is less and the system is better designed, imo.
Kevin
That looks like a decent system. Basic, but well thought out and constructed.
The following items come standard with the C-Head.
  1. Stock or Custom portable toilet housing (primary container)
  2. Five gallon solid waste collection container with a built in churn
  3. Churn handle
  4. Gallon jug with EUD or P-tank option
  5. Ventilation hose and attachments
  6. Sealing lid - covers and seals the urine diverter (not shown)

I liked this part, simple and effective:
http://c-head.com/Man_Stand.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94