Computer monitor

xjaugie

Adventurer
First let me say, I'm asking this question here and not on a photo guy site because, we all shoot basically the same style of photos and I think the answer will be more real life and not mico over analized as to which is better one over the other.

Basically, I need to get a computer monitor that will allow me to edit my photos correctly. I've noticed a big difference from my Laptop to the standard monitor I use in the office. What's working for you guys? what is really needed? and what is just overkill?

P.S. I'm color blind really, really bad, yep and I'm a photographer. I let the color be what it is and look for lighting and composition.

JackW

Explorer
I just bought a new Dell U2412M UltraSharp 24" LED Monitor from B&H photo for $279. It gets high reviews and is an IPS panel - best bang for the buck in monitors I could find. I use Photoshop CS6 and am trying to learn Lightroom 5.

This replaced a 22" Delll that finally died after a few years of editing thousands of photos. I calibrate the monitor with an Eye1 display unit.

xjaugie

Adventurer
If you do a basic calibration any monitor will work for your needs, I think.

I did the basic calibration on my laptop, but noticed the other day, how much different photos look between our monitors here at work from on desk to the other. Just a little worried that I go to the whole process of post prodiction on my lap top at home and the photos look different on every other monitor and in print.

photo_i

Explorer
Just a little worried that I go to the whole process of post prodiction on my lap top at home and the photos look different on every other monitor and in print.

Pictures will look different on each monitor unless all monitors are calibrated the same way. :) As for print - I usually print my own photos to avoid dealing with this matter at the lab. :)

BretEdge

Adventurer
This is a very solid solution. You'll have a tough time finding a monitor at a lower price that performs as well as the Dell for digital photography.

I just bought a new Dell U2412M UltraSharp 24" LED Monitor from B&H photo for $279. It gets high reviews and is an IPS panel - best bang for the buck in monitors I could find. I use Photoshop CS6 and am trying to learn Lightroom 5.

This replaced a 22" Delll that finally died after a few years of editing thousands of photos. I calibrate the monitor with an Eye1 display unit.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, I'll have to look into the Dell. I'm going to try and print some of the smaller stuff on my own printer, but for the bigger stuff still need to send it out.

photo_i

Explorer
This is a very solid solution. You'll have a tough time finding a monitor at a lower price that performs as well as the Dell for digital photography.

If you gonna print your own pics then I'd suggest to do a strip test first to make sure that your monitor is in sink with your printer and not waste too much paper.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I use my laptop as my only computer but I bought a program called Color monki that is a plug and play.... It does all the monitor calibration for you and it was very inexpensive.... so easy a cave man can use it..... :)

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I agree with Jack and Bret. I have this same monitor at work, its pretty good. I still see a bit more color depth in my MacBookPro Retina, but the sharpness is definitely there.

Honu

lost on the mainland
most modern monitors are pretty good and calibrating helps
note though calibrating a monitor only makes it as good as it can be :) does not mean its going to be accurate :)
think of it like a tune up to a known spec a car that cant perform wont run like a top one

NEC PA series or Eizo CG I think ?> forgot the eizo models
but the NEC PA are the way to go if you are serious a 27 inch can be had often for just under $1000 bucks they have a great program you can download for free that will take the factory calibration and use it to make a profile and its accurate ! deadly accurate I have compared it to profiles using spectra view and NEC puck and a few others
basically they are calibrated at the factory with a machine that cost the same as a entry level home :) and then hard coded in to it

so for sub $1000 you can have something that is as good as it gets and not have to buy a puck and software

if that is over kill on price then go with budget and what ya like

besides a photographer I also have a post production company with about 400 clients world wide we do retouching and color work for so I am pretty hard core when it comes to color but again not saying a less monitor wont do it just wont be as accurate which might not matter as much as you can kinda work around things and compensate for things and get back good prints

just sharing info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz