Confessions of a novice rider part four: Its addictive

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Before the motorcycle, life really couldn't be any better. The Jeep seemed to go mostly everywhere it was pointed and the roof tent, kayaks, food, beer, grill, etc made every journey enjoyable.

Before the motorcycle, I saw tired, wet, superheated, muddy, dusty, frozen and bug splattered riders struggling with just about everything that can be struggled with.

Before the motorcycle, I said I'd never want to travel by motorcycle.

Now everything is different. I simply don't care if I was right, before the motorcycle. I'm addicted.

But there's a problem, and I have nobody to blame but myself.

My long suffering better half, who has always agreed with my prior opinions about motorcycles, still insists that she would prefer to travel in comfort by Jeep. Paraphrased, Debbie is not at all interested in the idea of riding anywhere.

Obviously, this is a high class problem. After all, anybody who thinks that a leaky, noisy, rusting, uncomfortable Jeep Wrangler is comfy is fundamentally okay.

Still, as I haven't heard the words "over my dead body" or "its either me or the bike" yet hope springs eternal for another conversion...

:bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Perhaps she'd drive the Wrangler as a Sag Wagon/Base Camp? Then you'd both get what you're after.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
2 words for you - "touring bike" :bike_rider:

My wife wasn't interested in doing much riding till I bought a big touring barge. Since I bought the Electra Glide and got her into some good gear she really enjoys it. So much so that almost every trip we've taken since has been a motorcycle trip. I win!!

Not too helpful if you want to stick to dirt/trails/camping type riding, but if you want to travel (on road) by bike, try plopping her down on the back of an Electra Glide, or Gold Wing, or BMW 1200LT. All those bikes are a lot more fun to ride than you might think.

boblynch

Adventurer
Ask her to spend a few days taking a MSF intro course to better understand your "addiction". If your lucky she'll be bitten by the same bug and you can buy matching dual sports.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Read the tail lamp section of the summer Overland Journal.....great article on how to get the better half involved.

I took my g/f for her first ride last weekend. While she enjoyed it...she said she would probably have more fun riding her own bike....:bike_rider:

Navman

Adventurer
goodtimes said:
Read the tail lamp section of the summer Overland Journal.....great article on how to get the better half involved.

I took my g/f for her first ride last weekend. While she enjoyed it...she said she would probably have more fun riding her own bike....:bike_rider:

My trick was that I took my wife to see Long Way Down. I almost fell out of my seat when she said it was a good movie and that "I'd like to do something like that one day". I think the fact that Ewan was the main character and his 'proper' wife had something to do with that. Although she did make a few jokes about how many old people were there.

Now she at least won't resist when I get my bike...and then we can work from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94