Considering a Bike - Suggestions?

NothingClever

Explorer
I think it would be an injustice to lead a noob to believe that a KLR or a DR 650 is going to have him on singletrack anytime soon. This is like telling a novice carpenter he can drive a finishing nail with a sledgehammer. I recognize you included somewhat of a caveat in the next sentence but I think more emphasis would have been appropriate.

River Rat Matt....don't be lulled into thinking you're going to take a KLR or a DR 650 down any singletrack unless the singletrack where you live is straight, has no rocks nor much grade, if any.

Hondarider

Adventurer
Yeah...disclaimer on the XR650L...it helps if you're tall...like 34" inseam...otherwise the power is easy to manage and it's very versatile. I had a brand new DRZ400E at one time and it didn't like to be parked for extended periods of time...the battery was always dead and the carb gummed up whenever I left it sitting too long. It was a fine bike, but it just wasn't for me so I sold it and bought the XR with just a fraction of the money. The DR350SE was an excellent motorcycle as well...relatively light, powerful, and reliable...I put a lot of carefree miles on that one too.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Perhaps we just have different views of single track or different ideas of the speed you with which you would take a DS bike through it? I won't claim to have much experience on single track, but with the little I have been on, my G650X (similar to a DR650) isn't much different than my DRZ. More to the point, they're more similar to each other than either would be to a sub 250 lb two stroke.

Granted, a 2008+ KLR might be a different story. For my idea of "exploring", I think I'd take the lower seat height of the dr even with the extra 50 lbs over the taller, lighter DRZ. The amount of rocks, ruts, and trees in an area might sway me the other way.

And to further clarify: I am no way recommending any of those 650cc Dual Sports as a single track bike. But I am recommending them as a bike that is capable of getting you through single track.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Check out the Honda TRANSALP, the older ones. I have an 89 and they are V twin 650s. It will cruise at 70/75 all day, not get blown around like the XRs (I know, I had those as well). For the money, IMO, they are still very good for getting there, exporing and getting back. A little heavier at 324 pounds, but that really makes a big difference for the highway and still light enough off road. Not a sales pitch, just an great bike that is often overlooked. You can find low milage bikes, mine has 14K on it and such would be in your price range.....:bike_rider:

sourdough

Adventurer
I am riding a '08 drz400s.
Library-1257.jpg

Library-1258.jpg

Does everything my old '05 klr650 did. It's just a smaller version. DRZ cost more but it's worth it IMHO.
IMG_6133.jpg

rubyeb

A Lost Wanderer
I like your truck. I have a 2009 Tacoma Regular cab 4 cyl, 4wd 5-speed. I'm doing well without a lift. It's not the $8k to lift and reshoe, it's the stock simplicity of maintenance and everyday driving. If it won't go there, I don't need to go there. The front and rear receiver accepts my Warn m800. I have not yet pulled myself out of anything, but I have pulled others out. If you are well employed, an fj-40 might be nice. So you don't like the klr's and dr's eh? Too bad, they are your best choices. I have a 1990 DR650s. Your only challenge might be your inseam; they are kind of high off the ground. Might want something a bit newer. But not too new. I'm not saying I try to drop my bike, but I have from time to time. Another ding on my old bike that runs great. Oh well.

Rightovercrest

I am riding a '08 drz400s.
Library-1257.jpg

Library-1258.jpg

Does everything my old '05 klr650 did. It's just a smaller version. DRZ cost more but it's worth it IMHO.
IMG_6133.jpg
I also made the switch from a KLR650 to a DRZ400 and never looked back. Neither of mine ever looked this nice except the day they rolled off the showroom floor. The DRZ400, KLR, DR, and XR are all great bikes. A twin does make eating up the road a littler easier for the long haul but at the cost of off road prowess. Check out advrider.com for some good reading too.

D

Deleted member 9101

I've always been a 4wd guy. I have a 2010 Tacoma (4 cyl, 4wd, 5-speed), it is being built by me as I get money and flesh out my ideas for long term, discreet expeditioning.

I will be 25 soon and with that my insurance should be less expensive. I'm considering an FJ-40, a Samurai or a motorcycle. I want a vehicle for even more light weight exploration that is a bit more capable than my mildly built rig.

I like the concept/specs/etc behind the KLR650 and its Honda brother, but I cannot stand the ugly, 80's styling on the body panels. I really dig bikes like the Honda CL250, Honda CB250, Honda GL650 (without the body panels, like this).

Any suggestions?

Any 250 is a good choice. The smaller the bike you start with, the better rider you will become in the long run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles