Considering a M1102 for a build - My Tow Vehicle is a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro (Am I Crazy?)

**DRB**

Hey all,

Looking for a project and just hate the price and design of many of the overlanding trailers out there. My 22 4Runner Pro is getting a a 2" Westcott Lift / Level and 285's put on it in the next month along with Victory 4x4 Sliders and a Gobi rack for mild off road / general adventures in the North East and beyond.

I'm looking at a M1102 flatbed setup to incorporate the following, built in stages.

1. Rack for large RTT
2. Dedicated box with slides for pull out kitchen and fridge
3. Fresh water storage
4. Water heater
5. Battery / Charging system
6. Storage box of other gear

Smaller tires to more closely match the ride height of my vehicle are the first thing that would need to happen. I have read that 8 lug Chevy(?) wheels will work?

In short, am I crazy for going down this path with such a large trailer / small tow vehicle?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Calaski8123

I'm new to this scene but the M1102 seemed very big when I considered it. I ended up getting an M416 which is perfect size for what I'm looking to do. It will carry all my gear in the bed and I'm putting a rack on it to hold kayaks or it could also hold a RTT.

**DRB**

I'm new to this scene but the M1102 seemed very big when I considered it. I ended up getting an M416 which is perfect size for what I'm looking to do. It will carry all my gear in the bed and I'm putting a rack on it to hold kayaks or it could also hold a RTT.
Thanks for the input. Size is my biggest concern I guess. The price all in on a M416 is a major turnoff, and I dont really want just a bed body design (I would prefer individual compartments). Hard not beign able to actually see a M1101 in person, but I guess there is a reason you dont see many people with 4Runners talking about them

chinboys

Yes, I concur that the M1102 is very wide but has great possibilities for what you want to use it for.
I plan on fabricating my own aluminum boxes, tanks, supports or using steel when i have to, much like youtube channels
NTD Racing and
m1101 overland trailer

But I want to add an adventure motorcycle to it also.
It looks more like this perhaps at what Drive The Globe, another YouTuber did.

I lost 5 MPG hauling this trailer back from South Georgia last year on my Tundra.

Attachments

• m1102 trailer.jpg
    m1102 trailer.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 72

Kfred 513

When you say flatbed, do you plan on cutting the body up to remove the sides? I'm finishing up the first stage of my M1102 build. I painted it, rolled in bed liner and built a rack for a RTT and 270 awning. I can post pics later. I think the biggest factor is the type of trails you intend to use it on. I don't plan on going anyplace too tight, so the width doesn't bother me, but as mentioned, it is a big little trailer! the lug pattern is 8x6.5 which is the same as dodge diesels, I'm not sure what chevys run.

hudsimtn

Observer
The 1103 would be your best bet as flat deck. The 1102 will seem a lot wider due to the sides. The width of these trailers will be wider than your 4runner though, so will stick out. They are about the same as a Tundra in width. Awesome trailers tho. You can see my build on my signature. Similar to some of the things you listed above. I've since sold the trailer but regret it. Mine was a Silver Eagle 1103. You are correct about the wheels. I swapped mine with matching methods and smaller tires than the stock 37's. If you are good with the width these are great. Pretty short and crazy payload. Not sure if this helps at all.

jammoto

I own two m1102's and have towed across the country. They are fairly easy to maneuver, but one thing to note is that the trailer changes direction quickly due to the short tongue length. When backing up, it will jack knife easily, so just be aware. Also, the lunette ring has some slip, so movement isn't as direct as a ball or other fixed attachment.

Nevertheless, great platform.

Titan_Bow

I’ve got an M101a2 which is quite a bit smaller than the 110x series. I also have a 2022 4Runner. I wouldn’t want to haul anything bigger to be honest. That 4 liter and 5 speed struggles to pull my trailer up Colorado mountain roads for sure. Plus it cuts the already abysmal fuel mileage ALOT.. I still love the trailer and we use it all summer for family trips and it’s my base camps for most of my hunting trips.
1587888d2e632650ebf76a07a83d0f50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles