Convert RAM5500 or sell it and downsize?

NomadNorman

I've been fulltime RVing for 12 years, the last 5 pulling a 44' fifth wheel with my 2017 RAM 5500 w/custom hauler bed. I love this truck for towing my fifth wheel and all of the storage it has; but I am selling the fifth wheel and downsizing significantly to a trailer. I'm having Kingdom Campers build me a Caravan XL. GVWR will be 9920 on the new 26' trailer. My truck is probably overkill now haha. I do plan to 'overland' with my new trailer but nothing too crazy, fire roads and arroyos.

I'm debating whether to sell my 5500 and downsize to maybe a 2500 (but, boy, prices!) or convert this thing with lift kit and maybe SRW. I have no idea the cost of these conversions so wondering if it makes sense to do that or sell. My RAM is 4x4 of course.

Any input welcomed.

2017Ram5500.jpg

Alloy

Keep the 5500. It leaves all the options open.
-Worst thing will be the ride but you can solve that by downgrading the springs and upgrading the shocks. You can also look at Kelderman and Liquid $$$$$pring suspensions
-The smaller trailer will be better off road but still limiting. The 5500 gives you the option of (also having) a truck camper and maybe SRW. Truck campers that will dry camp for weeks (leaving no trace) need to go on 5500/F550 trucks.
-A hauler body is 10x better vs. PU and flatbeds for storage.

After the 1st season of taking my 5th off road I put it on Timbren STI suspension which is similar to Cruisemaster

A SRW option to MPT tires are the commercial highway 22.5" wheels/tires.

NomadNorman

Keep the 5500. It leaves all the options open.
-Worst thing will be the ride but you can solve that by downgrading the springs and upgrading the shocks. You can also look at Kelderman and Liquid $$$$$pring suspensions
-The smaller trailer will be better off road but still limiting. The 5500 gives you the option of (also having) a truck camper and maybe SRW. Truck campers that will dry camp for weeks (leaving no trace) need to go on 5500/F550 trucks.
-A hauler body is 10x better vs. PU and flatbeds for storage.

After the 1st season of taking my 5th off road I put it on Timbren STI suspension which is similar to Cruisemaster

A SRW option to MPT tires are the commercial highway 22.5" wheels/tires.

You may be right about keeping it. I actually already have the Kelderman air suspension on this...rides smooooth when hooked up to fiver and I imagine would be great for a truck camper; but I was told by the bed builder this could not be done mainly because of the light rail and storage bays.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Dont think there is such a thing as "Overkill" Especially when towing!!!

Since you have the truck, its paid off, and you know the truck and its maintenance history, I think keeping it is hands down the best option.

I own a 5500 with a super single conversion and Kelderman, and unless you need it, i wouldnt suggest it. Very limited tire options, and they are loud and not fun when driving long distances.

I am considering swapping mine back to dually if the Goodyears arent much quieter than my MPTs

imjustdave

You may be right about keeping it. I actually already have the Kelderman air suspension on this...rides smooooth when hooked up to fiver and I imagine would be great for a truck camper; but I was told by the bed builder this could not be done mainly because of the light rail and storage bays.

So swap the bed... your current bed is set up for something your not planning on continuing to do... As nice as it looks I suspect you will do very well

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
A 26 foot trailer while small to you is still NOT A SMALL TRAILER on a trail or fire service road.

About all that "Smaller Trailer" will do it git you a little further down the same roads you are on now pulling your big trailer with the same truck.

Keep the truck your current truck in its current configuration and continue to have the "Vision of Overlanding" as a "Smaller Truck" along with your "Smaller Trailer" is NOT going to open up to you the World of Overlanding anymore than you have now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles