Converting Whelen 900s/Similar Scene lighting to LED?

eporter

Adventurer
I've been looking for a replacement for some Whelen 900s on my Ambulance. I like the idea of a replacing the entire light, or the clear/red/amber lens with a flat plate with a cheaper LED light mounted in it. Or possibly an angled bracket.

97scene.jpg

whelen exp.JPG

Some of the options from SuperbrightLED:

-3.5" Rectangular 6 Watt LED Mini Auxiliary Flood Light
Part Number: AUX-6W-RE120
*Less than one inch thick, could fit in the existing flange, or in a flat plate mounted to the body.
*120 degree beam pattern, so more light near the ambulance
View attachment 294186

-6" Oval 15W Heavy Duty High Powered LED Work Light
Part Number: WL-15W-Ox
*This could also mount to a plate, with the bolts snugged up just right, and then be pointed straight down during travel and at camp could be angled out a little.
*Comes in a 20 degree spot, or 45 degree flood
View attachment 294187

Patoz has been kicking around some good ideas in his thread here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134005-Point-Five-Ambo-Build?p=1863204#post1863204

Anyone else have any great ideas?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've been looking for a replacement for some Whelen 900s on my Ambulance. I like the idea of a replacing the entire light, or the clear/red/amber lens with a flat plate with a cheaper LED light mounted in it. Or possibly an angled bracket.

View attachment 294189

View attachment 294190

Some of the options from SuperbrightLED:

-3.5" Rectangular 6 Watt LED Mini Auxiliary Flood Light
Part Number: AUX-6W-RE120
*Less than one inch thick, could fit in the existing flange, or in a flat plate mounted to the body.
*120 degree beam pattern, so more light near the ambulance
View attachment 294186

timthumb.php

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...att-led-mini-auxiliary-flood-light/2201/4923/

-6" Oval 15W Heavy Duty High Powered LED Work Light
Part Number: WL-15W-Ox
*This could also mount to a plate, with the bolts snugged up just right, and then be pointed straight down during travel and at camp could be angled out a little.
*Comes in a 20 degree spot, or 45 degree flood
View attachment 294187

timthumb.php

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-heavy-duty-high-powered-led-work-light/1508/

Patoz has been kicking around some good ideas in his thread here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134005-Point-Five-Ambo-Build?p=1863204#post1863204

Anyone else have any great ideas?

Your Attachment links were not working, so I added the pictures and links to each light.

These are the ones I was considering using, but they are a little too big to fit inside the 900 bezels or the existing hole, so some modification would be necessary. Of course once you do that, you may not be able to go back if you decide to later on. But, at 2025 Lumens each, they would light up the world. And we all know what Tim the Toolman says, "More Power!"

timthumb.php

5" Square 27W Heavy Duty High Powered LED Work Light

Part Number: WL-27W-S60

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ered-led-work-light/1225/#/tab/Specifications

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
My ambulance came with a 120 volt quartz floodlight on each side - the one on the driver's side was 250 watts, and the passenger side (the side dealing with the accident) was 500 watts. These were powered by the inverter, so the pair of them required 70 amps at 12 volts to run the inverter. I discussed them with the dealer I bought the ambulance from, and they installed a set of LED floods in their place (the mount is recessed). The LEDs measure about 1.25" high by about 6" long, with both on one 5 amp circuit.

DSCN4894.JPG

DSCN4897.JPG

Because of these floods, I'll probably keep my halogen Whelen 900's for when they are needed, with the LED floods for general use.

That might also be an approach that others could use - every ambulance in a scrap yard usually has the scene lights missing or damaged, but look for other light mounts that can be reused.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Bob, do you by any chance have any pictures of the LED lights in operation, which show the size of the area they will illuminate?

Abitibi

Explorer
My ambulance came with a 120 volt quartz floodlight on each side - the one on the driver's side was 250 watts, and the passenger side (the side dealing with the accident) was 500 watts. These were powered by the inverter, so the pair of them required 70 amps at 12 volts to run the inverter. I discussed them with the dealer I bought the ambulance from, and they installed a set of LED floods in their place (the mount is recessed). The LEDs measure about 1.25" high by about 6" long, with both on one 5 amp circuit.

View attachment 294293

View attachment 294294

Because of these floods, I'll probably keep my halogen Whelen 900's for when they are needed, with the LED floods for general use.

That might also be an approach that others could use - every ambulance in a scrap yard usually has the scene lights missing or damaged, but look for other light mounts that can be reused.

This is exactly what I'm building but with the square 5" light posted by Patoz. I already bought 4 of those lights months ago, just waiting for free time to show up....

patoz

Expedition Leader
This is exactly what I'm building but with the square 5" light posted by Patoz. I already bought 4 of those lights months ago, just waiting for free time to show up....

Come on man, don't just build four of them, build eight! :D

Seriously, how is the light output from those lights. Are they good quality or Chinese made junk?

rlrenz

Explorer
Maybe the right solution is to think about having light mounts bent and welded from 1/8" sheet aluminum? The average ambulance probably needs six of them, so a production run of maybe 24 pieces would result in 18 spares that could be sold to pay the bill for the run.

Abitibi

Explorer
I got mine from Superbright LED and they aren't cheap Chinese, have a look at their tests on the lights. I think it's really close to Rigid or VisionX but at a fraction of the cost. They are also very good with warranty (if ever needed)... I paid $50 each. I'd build extra inserts but my ambo is Canadian so I'm not sure those light openings are identical...

Cheers
Mr. D

patoz

Expedition Leader
I got mine from Superbright LED and they aren't cheap Chinese, have a look at their tests on the lights. I think it's really close to Rigid or VisionX but at a fraction of the cost. They are also very good with warranty (if ever needed)... I paid $50 each. I'd build extra inserts but my ambo is Canadian so I'm not sure those light openings are identical...

Cheers
Mr. D

Thanks for the info. I have looked at their test videos, and they are pretty impressive, but it's always good to talk with the 'average guy' that actually owns a set. Have you hooked them up and tested them yet? In addition to the amount of light they put out, I'm also wondering about the amount of heat they give off.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set for testing, and if they don't work out I can use them as backup lights on my F250 tow vehicle, which needs something better than the wimpy OEM ones provided anyway.

Abitibi

Explorer
I tried them, good output. It's just hard to find slim ones and those fit my need (2" max.).
Don't think I tried them long enough to create any heat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles