Cooking under awning

trump

Adventurist
After enjoying conversation under someone elses awning over the weekend it hit me that I'm tired of burning up in the sun while cooking on my tailgate. He cooks with his awning up, but I forgot to ask if it's looking like there will be any long term effects (melting or other heat damage) from cooking underneath one. I thought I would turn to all of you to chime in with your experiences.

Is cooking under an awning with a camp grill going to damage it?

Honu

lost on the mainland
My grill at home is under a umbrella canvas type keep it open 24/7 ? Grease and getting a bit dirty is the main thing but nothing I really notice
My trailer kitchen is under the main awning and for the few weeks a year I use it never notice any issues but heavy grease or smoke might stain it ? Or make it sticky so in packing just make sure its not greasy and going to stick together are my thoughts

One of the boats I worked on had canvas above the grills we would just use dawn every once in a while like eery few months daily use cooking for 100+

I would for sure do it the comfort would be worth it my only thought is can you get one that will not collect the smoke in e top ? Meaning not the square roof types or one with the vents or layers to let smoke out ?

trump

Adventurist
I would for sure do it the comfort would be worth it my only thought is can you get one that will not collect the smoke in e top ? Meaning not the square roof types or one with the vents or layers to let smoke out ?

I believe there will be a small gap right by where I'll be attaching it at the truck to help any smoke to vent. Thanks for posting.

Paladin

Banned
People cook under thin Nylon tarps while camping all the time, or inside vestibules of tents. I think it's a non-issue.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I've never really thought about NOT cooking under an awning. Let me ponder it and get back to you. :coffee:

trump

Adventurist
Let me clarify... The awning could be as close as 2.5 feet above the stove due to the nature of my current rack hence the concern.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The grill/stove doesn't need shade. Just place it where you can reach it and still stay in under cover.

trump

Adventurist
The grill/stove doesn't need shade. Just place it where you can reach it and still stay in under cover.

That might be a plan. I try to pack light, so I've been trying to keep my work surface on the tailgate to avoid packing a table of some sort. Maybe use the Kelty Noah's Tarp.

Honu

lost on the mainland
2.5 feet ?

if a table is about 30-36 inches and you have head height and a tall hat :) that should be about 3 to 4 feet maybe ?

unless your trailer side is where its mounted and its over the fender well then I could see it being that close ?

hmmm if so thats pretty close :) not sure what to think then ?

trump

Adventurist
2.5 feet ?

if a table is about 30-36 inches and you have head height and a tall hat :) that should be about 3 to 4 feet maybe ?

unless your trailer side is where its mounted and its over the fender well then I could see it being that close ?

hmmm if so thats pretty close :) not sure what to think then ?

The stove would be on my tailgate and the rack the awning would attach to would be about 6" or so below the roof line of the truck. I might just be able to fit under it without a hat (I'm 6'2".) This is all shooting from the hip right now as I'm just brainstorming.

trump

Adventurist
Ok, now looking at a picture that was taken of me next to my truck, the dream of securing the awning to the back of the rack has died.

199022_1775157190517_1586948477_1693591_309175_n.jpg

I'm just not going to be able to stoop my head that low to cook on the stove. I think I'll be looking into the Noah's Tarp.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Mark you might be able to make a shade out of shadecloth like the stuff you get from homedepot ?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
as basic and low budget as it sounds I really think a pop up awning would be perfect for your needs.
you can get them small & compact enough to carry in the bed of your rig and when up push it right agaist the tent to cover your tailgate. You could even get the walls to make another enclosed space for bathroom/shower or shade/anti-bug area

trump

Adventurist
Mark you might be able to make a shade out of shadecloth like the stuff you get from homedepot ?

Shade is the primary use, but I will opt for something that I can avoid having to hang out in my changing room to escape the rain. Good idea though.

as basic and low budget as it sounds I really think a pop up awning would be perfect for your needs.
you can get them small & compact enough to carry in the bed of your rig and when up push it right agaist the tent to cover your tailgate. You could even get the walls to make another enclosed space for bathroom/shower or shade/anti-bug area

Are you talking about an E-Z Up? I have a lot of experience with those (1-2 times a week for 3 years.) The models I was using I would not waste my time with (commercial), but I'll take a look at models that will pack smaller and weigh less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles