Cool Jeeps You Can't Have - Mahindra of India

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I wonder if a group buy would cut the cost im sure if you could fill a cargo container it would be a lot less
In 2018 I was seriously considering importing a Mahindra Savari from India to the U.S. and I checked on the price of a half container from India to NY. At that time it was about $2,000, although I hear container rates have gone up considerably since then. You could fit a lot of these trailers in a half container - remove the wheels/axles/springs and the trailer is only maybe 2' high so you could stack quite a few of them and put maybe 5 rows front to back in a 20' container so maybe 5 in a row x 4 high gets you 20 trailers per half container? $2000 / 20 is $100 per. Add to that import duty and I'm sure some other miscellaneous fees and maybe you'd still end up brand new trailers costing less than $1000 each (at 2018 container rates).

ZONE ZERO

In 2018 I was seriously considering importing a Mahindra Savari from India to the U.S. and I checked on the price of a half container from India to NY. At that time it was about $2,000, although I hear container rates have gone up considerably since then. You could fit a lot of these trailers in a half container - remove the wheels/axles/springs and the trailer is only maybe 2' high so you could stack quite a few of them and put maybe 5 rows front to back in a 20' container so maybe 5 in a row x 4 high gets you 20 trailers per half container? $2000 / 20 is $100 per. Add to that import duty and I'm sure some other miscellaneous fees and maybe you'd still end up brand new trailers costing less than $1000 each (at 2018 container rates).

well that’s definitely an interesting idea, are the sold trailers? worth importing ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mahindra is now offering a 2wd version of the Thar, and pricing starts at about $12,000.

From an article on the Carscoops.com web site:

The most affordable trim of the Mahindra Thar is the RWD diesel starting from ₹999,000 ($12,243) benefiting from the low tax bracket of the new smaller-displacement 1.5-litre diesel engine. For comparison, the cheapest 4WD is petrol-powered and starts from ₹1,359,101 ($16,641), while the most expensive 4WD diesel automatic is priced at ₹1,629,100 ($19,947). Still, this is only a fraction of the price of a genuine Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which starts from ₹5,785,000 ($70,871) in India, although it only comes in a four-door guise, unlike the two-door Mahindra Thar.

Mahindra didn’t change anything on the exterior of the RWD Thar compared to the more expensive 4WD, setting aside the lack of the 4×4 badge. However, you can only buy a hard-top RWD Thar, with the soft-top option reserved for 4WD models. Inside, the Thar RWD has a small storage compartment in place of the 4×4 selector, and a few repositioned controls, retaining the 7-inch infotainment touchscreen.

The Mahindra Thar RWD is available with two powertrain options. The smaller 1.5-liter diesel produces 117 hp (87 kW / 118 PS) and 300 Nm (221 lb-ft) of torque, mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. The more powerful turbocharged 2.0-liter petrol produces 150 hp (112 kW / 152 PS) and 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) of torque, exclusively mated to a six-speed torque converter automatic.

The 4WD model is available with the same 2.0-liter petrol engine but gets a larger-displacement 2.2-liter diesel producing 130 hp (97 kW / 132 PS). For 2023, Mahindra upgraded the Thar 4WD with a new electronic brake locking differential from Bosch, keeping the old mechanical locking differential as an option in the flagship diesel-powered trim. Additionally, all Mahindra Thar variants are now available with two new color options – Blazing Bronze, and Everest White.

Deliveries for the updated Mahindra Thar range – including the RWD variants – will start in India on January 14. As reported by Autocar India, the aforementioned prices are only applicable for the first 10,000 orders, so if you want a dirt-cheap Wrangler lookalike you should act fast.

There's only one visible external difference between the 2wd and 4wd versions... a RWD badge on the rear quarter panel instead of the 4x4 badge...

RWDBadge.jpg

TharBlack.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Big News for you faux Jeep aficionados!

Jeep's years-long fight to stop Indian firm Mahindra from selling the Roxor in the United States due to trademark infringement experienced a setback. The brand can continue selling the redesigned version of its open-top side-by-side, the Eastern District Court of Michigan decided.

“The bitter legal battle opposing the two carmakers began in the late 2010s, when Jeep — which was part of Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles at the time — claimed the Roxor looked too much like the CJ. In 2019, the United States International Trade Commission foundMahindra guilty of trademark infringement and recommended the implementation of a cease-and-desist order.

Mahindra redesigned the Roxor with a less CJ-like grille in 2020, but the United States International Trade Commission ruled in Jeep's favor in June 2020. The ruling only applied to the pre-facelift model, however, and a U.S. regulator later decided that the updated off-roader didn't infringe on Jeep's intellectual property…”

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll bet the original Thar grille will still bolt right up, they're not expensive in India:

TharGrille_vTmaoTZhoCw5ntnHeABT8V.jpg

That's about U.S. $150. Probably would be a good market for them over here. I also know of a source in India for used ones, probably could get them even cheaper.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I think the new grille/hood shape has more of a Jeep Commando feel to them myself. I imagine a more Commando-esk grille would be pretty easy to make for it.

1968-jeep-commando-for-sale-2018-11-20-8.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think the new grille/hood shape has more of a Jeep Commando feel to them myself. I imagine a more Commando-esk grille would be pretty easy to make for it.

1968-jeep-commando-for-sale-2018-11-20-8.jpg
Yes, it would be easy to make :). It would be a fairly easy project in fiberglass.

Introducing... the Roxor Commando:

RoxorCommando.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Just to keep this interest alive…maybe it’s time to consider one budget friendly little rigs for your next tow vehicle for backcountry 4x4 explorations…despite the fact that, now with the “don’t sue me bro” new front end they look like a cheap throwback to a Soviet designed Cold War Red Army vehicle!

Part One of Two
https://www.topspeed.com/reasons-you-should-pick-a-mahindra-roxor-over-a-polaris-ranger/

10 Reasons You Should Pick A Mahindra Roxor Over A Polaris Ranger​

Published 2 days ago
With Mahindra now free to sell the Roxor in the U.S., we look at 10 ways that the Roxor is better than the Polaris Ranger
Mahindra
Mahindra has finally earned permission to sell the Roxor in the United States. The Roxor excited utility terrain vehicle fans when it debuted in 2018, primarily because it looked like an American icon - the Jeep CJ. Intriguingly, the vehicle’s main attraction, its looks, landed Mahindra in legal trouble as Jeep protested the vehicle’s sale in the United States. Courts delayed the Roxor’s sale for years until they were satisfied that the car no longer resembled the CJ.

The $20,000 Roxor is coming up against several established UTVs, including the Polaris Ranger. The Ranger has been around for several years, so few would expect a newcomer like the Roxor to be better. However, Mahindra has produced a very impressive vehicle as it looks to claim a piece of the UTV market. Here are 10 reasons you should pick a Mahindra Roxor over a Polaris Ranger.

10 The Mahindra Roxor Has a Higher Towing Capacity​

The Mahindra Roxor is a mechanized workhorse. It can tow up to 3,490 pounds, an impressive stat for a UTV. The Roxor, with its class-leading tow rating, is therefore perfect for farm and ranch work. Attaching the maximum tow weight to the rear of the Roxor reduces top speed to a gingerly 15 MPH. The Roxor’s all-weather model also comes with an 8,000-pound Warn winch, which has a higher pulling capacity than the winches offered by Polaris.

The most a Polaris Ranger can tow is 2,500 pounds. That towing capacity is reserved for the XP 1000 and its variants and the Ranger 1000. The Ranger’s entry model, the 570, has a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 pounds, less than half the towing capability of the base Mahindra Roxor.

9 The Roxor’s Jeep-Like Looks​

Mahindra’s ties with Jeep ran as far back as the mid-20th century when Willys granted the Indian manufacturer permission to build the Jeep CJ3B.The Roxor wasn’t the first car Mahindra built that looked like a Jeep, but it was the first Jeep clone Mahindra attempted to sell in the United States. Wary that the Roxor would eat into the Wrangler’s sales, Jeep successfully sued Mahindra for infringing on Jeep’s design, forcing Mahindra back to the drawing board.

Mahindra remodeled the front fascia, ditching the Jeep-like grille for a broader, rectangular, two-slat grille. The redesign increased the distance between the grille and the bumper, exposing the tires and suspension. Still, Jeep wasn’t happy. It sued again, asking the court to block Roxor sales in the United States. However, Jeep’s suit failed - the court opined that the Roxor’s new look no longer infringed on Jeep’s design.

Despite the court’s findings, it’s impossible to ignore Jeep’s influence on the Mahindra. The vehicle’s retro 1940s Jeep styling arguably looks better than the modern design of the Polaris Ranger. Further, all Roxors are painted by hand, and like the original Willys, the vehicle’s spot welds are discernable through the paint.

8 The Roxor’s Higher Fuel Capacity​

When filled to the brim, the Mahindra Roxor’s fuel tank can hold 45.4 liters (12 gal.) of diesel, about 0.9 liters more than the Ranger’s smaller fuel tank. 0.9 liters (0.2 gal) might seem insignificant, but it might be the difference between making it home or calling for help when your vehicle runs out. The Roxor has another ace up its sleeve - you can increase its fuel capacity by installing external fuel tanks in the cargo area.

Further, the Roxor uses fuel more efficiently than the Ranger. Mahindra estimates that the Roxor should average 32 to 34 MPG and cover over 350 miles on a single tank. The Polaris, on the other hand, averages around 28 to 30 MPG. With the Roxor’s larger fuel capacity and better fuel efficiency, you can go further than you would in a Polaris Ranger.

7 The Mahindra Is Less Complicated​

Inside the Mahindra, you don’t get much beyond what the occupants of the WWII-conquering Willys got. Besides two cupholders and a power port, there’s next to nothing in terms of luxury - and no speedometer. The barebones design allows the driver to focus on the important business of driving.

Conversely, the Polaris has a modern interior. Depending on the model, the Polaris features a digital information center, a navigation system, innumerable cupholders, and plenty of internal space. Compared to the Mahindra, there’s plenty inside the Polaris to distract a driver. Further, given the many Ranger models, customers may find it challenging to choose one that suits them. There are nine Ranger variants currently on offer, compared to the Roxor’s two models.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Part two ⬆️ (article was too long to post based on Expo thread limitations)

6 The Roxor’s Wide Range of Optional Extras​

The Mahindra Roxor is probably the most customizable UTV in the market. Given the wide range of optional accessories, customers can order a Roxor that suits their specific needs. Mahindra allows buyers to choose from several standard color options. Other optional extras include:
  • Internal defroster.
  • Rollbar grab-handles.
  • Roxor-branded lids.
  • Aluminum wheels.
  • Under-body skid plates.
  • A 40-inch light bar.
  • Upgraded tires.
Perhaps the most insane Roxor extras are tank-like tracks: For about $20,000, Mahindra can fit tank-esque tracks on your Mahindra Roxor. The Polaris Ranger also has optional extras, but they aren’t as extensive (or as bonkers) as the accessories available with the Roxor. Granted, some Roxor addons are freakishly expensive. Their cost notwithstanding, they offer you an opportunity to build a completely unique Mahindra UTV.

5 The Roxor’s Standard Manual Transmission​

The Roxor’s diesel engine routes power to all wheels through a standard five-speed manual transmission. The transmission suits drivers using the Roxor as a trail-conquering UTV - it facilitates a more engaging driver experience. The Roxor’s three pedals and stick shift add a sporty, fun feel to the retro-styled UTV. A traditional manual like the one in the Roxor is rare among UTVs, setting the Roxor apart from its competitors.
Polaris Rangers use automatic transmissions, which are less engaging than the manual in the Roxor. For drivers only looking to exploit the utilitarian aspects of the Roxor, Mahindra offers an optional six-speed transmission.

4 The Roxor Has a Longer Free Warranty​

The Mahindra Roxer’s warranty is two times longer than the Polaris Ranger’s warranty. The Roxor’s two-year warranty is voided by racing or competitive vehicle use, aftermarket modifications, using the car for an unintended purpose, and tampering with the speed limiter. Further, the Roxor’s warranty ends once the vehicle’s odometer clicks past 12,000 miles, whether or not the two-year period has expired.

Mileage has no impact on the Polaris Ranger’s one-year warranty. You can drive as far as you want for one year without voiding the warranty. Polaris Ranger customers can extend the vehicle’s warranty for a maximum of five years by purchasing the Polaris Protection Plan.

3 Mahindra’s Outstanding Reliability​

The proof of Mahindra’s reliability is its popularity in India, where it easily handles the country’s rough terrain. Mahindras are popular in India’s villages, Tier-II, and Tier-III cities, which feature underdeveloped roads. Mahindras like the Bolero are reliable because they eschew high-end electronics, have tough bodies, and feature bulletproof engines.
Mahindra followed the Bolero blueprint when designing the Roxor - it lacks complicated electronics, has a tough exterior, and has a reliable diesel engine. Considering Mahindra’s reliability track record, the Roxor should run for thousands of miles without complaint.

Additionally, the vehicle shares mechanical aspects with the Willys CJ, which was built tough to handle the demands of rural terrain. The Polaris Ranger can’t beat the simple and rugged Roxor in terms of reliability.

2 The Roxor’s Tough Steel Construction​

The Roxor, with its extensive steel construction, is perhaps the toughest UTV in the market. Unlike other UTVs like the Polaris Ranger, which feature molded plastic exterior panels, the Roxor is made almost entirely of steel. It’s basically a metal box with seats, headlights, an engine, and wheels. The Roxor’s frame can handle extensive abuse, making it the perfect UTV for off-roading and strenuous work.

An unwelcome consequence of the Roxor’s construction is weight - the base model weighs 2,990 pounds, and the all-weather model, with its windshield and extra body panels, weighs 3,330 pounds. In comparison, the heaviest Ranger weighs just shy of 2,000 pounds. The extra weight may affect maneuverability and speed, but that’s beside the point - the Roxor’s tough exterior facilitates the vehicle’s primary use as a workhorse.

1 The Mahindra Roxor’s Engine Delivers More Torque​

The Roxor’s 2.5-liter turbocharged diesel engine delivers an underwhelming 62 horsepower. The 1.0-liter engine in the XP 1000 Ranger produces 20 more horsepower than the Roxor engine. However, the Roxor’s engine dominates the torque metric, producing 144 pound-feet compared to the Ranger’s 62 pound-feet. It produces more torque than the Ranger XP Kinetic, the brand’s all-electric variant, which churns out 140 pound-feet.
The Roxor’s impressive torque facilitates towing and offroading - minimal throttle inputs deliver low-end torque to the tires allowing drivers to focus on the trail. Additionally, the engine’s delivery of low-end torque allows the driver to run the engine at low revs, reducing engine temperatures and slowing down wear.

About The Author
Moses Karomo is an enthusiastic automotive writer who can talk and write endlessly about EVs. He has extensive automotive reporting experience, writing about all manner of automotive topics. He keeps up with innovations and trends in the car industry to provide readers with up-to-date information about the ever-evolving automotive industry. When not writing, Moses is traveling or cooking.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I spent the last two days in Tirupati in the state of Andhra Pradesh in South India. My better half and I were visiting the Venkataswara temple
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkateswara_Temple,_Tirumala) and the nearby Devi Temple. I haven't posted in this thread in a while so I'll post a couple of photos I took while visiting the temples.

The Venkataswara temple is situated high on a mountain as are many temples, historic forts and palaces in India. Large numbers of Mahindra jeeps offer taxi services to bring pilgrims and tourists up to the site from the valley below. In most places, these are mostly open jeeps, and many of them are derivations of the American CJ-3b. MM540/MM550/Thar variants are slowly beginning to replace the CJ-3b variants (Majors and Commanders) but there are still lots of the older Mahindras in this service.

The Commanders at Venkataswara were much nicer than the typical well-used jeep taxis I've seen in Rajasthan and other places - all of them were almost new looking. Venkataswara is a bit different from many places in India - it's more organized for large crowds and better kepts than other places I've been. There's a magnificent 16 km switchback road up and back down the mountain, the equal of any mountaineering road construction I've seen elsewhere in the world, it's a great road and very well maintained. So maybe the jeeps at Venkataswara are nicer because everything there is well maintained and organized, I don't know. My wife thinks the jeeps there are new and still in production but my best info is that the Commander went out of production in 2013, so I believe they're just better maintained here. Here's one I snapped from the taxi we were in while descending the switchback road.

All of them have soft tops and pretty much all of them have luggage racks on top of the soft top (anchored through the fabric to the roll bars). I saw many of these racks in use, like this one:

TirupatiCommander.jpg

Notice how clean it is and the gloss finish of the paint - if you look back in this thread at similar taxi service jeeps you won't find any this nice. I didn't get a chance to photograph many others, we had to leave our phones in our taxi because they're not allowed in the temple.

For longer distance pilgrimages larger vehicles are often used - buses, large vans, or SUV's. One common utility vehicle used for this pilgrimage/tourist service is the Force Motors Toofan:

TirupatiToofan.jpg

The word Toofan appears in several mid-eastern and Indian languages and translates to "typhoon" or "storm" depending on the language. Toofans are more or less long wheelbase versions of the Force Gurkha, and I've heard that Mercedes played some role in the design, which may explain why they somewhat resemble a Mercedes G-wagon. More info on the Toofan: https://www.forcemotors.com/Trax-toofan.php

The Toofan pictured above is one of the nicer ones, since these come from longer distances and may not be maintained as well where they come from, some of them are a bit worn.

Imagine building a camper in or on a Toofan - I think it would make a great overlanding vehicle.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If the perfect girl for you is one who appreciates the details of your Jeep and offroading, maybe this girl is for you:

A little interpretation of her Hindi... after she finishes spouting off the details, she says something to the effect of "and all of it will show up on the screen in the Thar, and there's nothing going on in there", by "in there" she means in her boyfriend's stuck SUV, but the double entendre is that there's nothing in their relationship to compare with what's going on in the Thar :).

It's 6pm Sunday where I am (New Delhi, India), it's Diwali (a holiday that ranks probably as big as Christmas does in the U.S.), and today's Cricket World Cup match between first-ranked India and last-ranked Netherlands just ended its four-hour first inning with a fantastic performance by the Indian team at 400/4. No point in watching the second inning, Netherlands can't possibly beat that. I'll go pack now for my flight back to the U.S.

Anyway... in the four hour first inning that Mahindra commercial played many times and I though you might enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles