Coolant hose problems

JohnBrukiewicz

I haven't a single gripe about the G-Class. Little things come up every once and a while, but the incidents I have far too frequently have much to do with my hose clamps. Each of the gear-type clamps (unless I've forgotten one) has come off at one point or another. This only occurs on the most remote trails ;)

This last weekend's camping trip proved quite the test of two of the clamps on my way home.

First came the radiator end. Used all of my spare water/a-freeze mix on this guy. Quick 15-minute fix with the handy socket set and a couple gallons of mix. This clamp was replaced with an OEM clamp (rebranded Ideal no-hub clamp) after my previous had rattled loose once before.

Then the sun went down. Many miles off the "main" road off came the hose connecting to the underside of the block. This connection is not fun to get your hands around. This was a 2-hour fix. You won't be getting this clamp positioned with gloves on, and the fun begins when your hands go numb in the cold and your only one of six senses being utilized is feel. Managed to roll the truck down to a paved powerline easement and made it home cooling the motor compliments of Mt. Dew, India Pale Ale and a few remaining bottles of Arrowhead :sombrero:

So, I'm thinking about converting to a pinch clamp such as that on my GM pickups. Less prone to rattling loose in the woods and easier to remove and reinstall in the field with pliers. Problem is the G-Class had smaller hoses than my pickups, GM Parts does not supply a clamp in the correct size, and Google does not provide results for what I'm in search.

Anyone have any sources for these clamps so I can stop doing this 6PM to midnight every other weekend? :sombrero:

Attachments

• rm1101.jpg
    rm1101.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
  • rm1103.jpg
    rm1103.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15
  • rm1104.jpg
    rm1104.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13
  • rm1102.jpg
    rm1102.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I use the exhaust hose clamps from West marine... they seem to be indestructible. I think they sell them in Summit racing and Jegs too, evidently they have to use them for drag racing? Never used then om a 4 x 4, but they have never failed on a track bike.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
John,

a few month ago I had replaced all my coolant hoses - all of them! And to top that I also remove the heater hard lines for a new powder coat.
Yes, I got most of the hose clamps new from the MB dealer - at least the ones he had in stock, and install the old used ones again where needed.

So, I know all the tight spaces trying to get your hands into - much easier in an controlled environment and during day light. Especially the lower radiator hose to the engine block.

I had not a problem with any of the hose clamps so far, while I had driven some really bumpy roads for hours. Maybe the PO of your truck had over tighten those clamps?

Good to have an ample supply of water with you - remember I have a 10 Gallon external water tank......

zimm

Expedition Leader
the only time i lost a clamp, was on a 170k mile hose. guess i pushed that a bit!

i like the high pressure screw simply because they dont change approach angle as much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94