Copper Canyon, Mexico March / April 07

cpg

Adventurer
Does anyone have recent last 5 years or so of town center Batopilas?
I am curious if it has changed much since 1989.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Here are a couple of pics of Batopilas from February 06.

-H-

100218803-M.jpg

100218805-M.jpg

100218807-M.jpg

cpg

Adventurer
Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for. I really enjoyed are visit there. Did you spend the night there?
Rode a 1988 XR 600 down there it was a wonderfull trip.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
cpg said:
Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for. I really enjoyed are visit there. Did you spend the night there?
Rode a 1988 XR 600 down there it was a wonderfull trip.

Andrew did a great article for Expedition Portal on that trip. Check it out HERE. :victory:

cruiser guy

Explorer
This is planning for a revised date of the last week of March or first week of April of this year. Anyone interested?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'll be in the area around March 15-25...give or take....with several other bikes...maybe we'll run into you.

-H-

cruiser guy

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
I'll be in the area around March 15-25...give or take....with several other bikes...maybe we'll run into you.

-H-

That'll be a week ahead of us. I'll be in El Golfo area on the March 25th weekend.

ShearPin

Adventurer
I Wish.....

Damn, I shoveled 4 inches of snow last night - this winters getting long. I hope this trip works out ... post pictures. I'll be really needing some sunny photos by late March early April.....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

cruiser guy

Explorer
Unfortunately I don't see Copper Canyon as being part of our itinerary at this time. I won't risk creek crossings with one vehicle and no one has committed yet. I'll still post pics of the rest of the trip once we're down in Guatemala.

I hear you about winter and snow. It was snowing here in Cranbrook, B.C. yesterday and it might be snowing when we set out tomorrow! I'm sure it won't be snowing when we arrive!:sunny:

ShearPin

Adventurer
Creek Crossings

Cruiser Guy - out of curiosity, what creek crossings are you concerned about? I am no expert on the area but have found the time to get down to Copper Canyon 3 times since my first trip in 1997 - my last trip was 3 weeks leaving San Diego solo with my now wife, 2003 I think.

There is no shortage of places to go and things to see without crossing a lot of water. On the Batopilas side the road into the canyon is bridged at every major crossing. On the Creel side you can get right into the town at the bottom of the canyon without any big water. If you wish to drive out past the town there is a River that I have been through in the old petrol Land Rover that was deep and quick with soft sand banks on either side. Your a short walk from town if the worst happens. We camped 3 nights on the other side and hiked.

The worst water I found was the road out to Alamos on the Batopilas side (may be the one you are thinking of). Did this route on the solo with wife trip. When I crossed it was wide, fast, and the bottom was soft gravel. Again, the old Rover crossed no problem and you are within site of the town. I had trouble clearly finding the crossing and approached a Police pick-up in town. They showed us where to cross and stayed until we reached the other side - granted they were all laughing when I drove in......

Short of coming into the area on the heels of a big rain I wouldn't miss the area due to water crossing concerns.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com
(Copper Canyon section is two trips behind)

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'm surprised that you don't have any takers....I've had to keep our numbers down for our moto trip.....

The Rio Urique is the one "major" river crossing on the way from Batopilas to Choix.

Now...our way down from the ruins of Paquime to Creel will involve about 5 river crossings....

Time to snorkel the motorbikes!

-H- :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior