Corax's 1st gen RN61 4runner

corax

Explorer
I got the radio brackets made and welded on today. Amazingly enough, all the holes were in the correct spots and the radio bolted right up after it was tacked onto the frame (out of vehicle, NOT using my radio as a jig while welding). My head is still fairly far away from the radio, I would really have to try to ********** my head against it. In an accident, as long as the seat belt locks like it should, I'll have plenty of room.

I also drilled a bunch of other holes in the mounting bracket to adjust the angle of the radio. I plan on getting thumb screw type bolts so I just have to remove one from each side and move the radio to the angle I want - probably face it down a bit more if I'm expecting more use.

100_4832.jpg

For the trim so far I'm thinking of leaving the side of the radio completely exposed so I can get to the adjustment - just running an acute triangle from the very front of the frame to the above the radio face.

I'm also not sure what else I want to mount up there, so suggestions are welcome. Probably a small "project box" with my lightbar switches. I'm thinking 2 low amp 12V power outlets piggybacked off the radio power circuit would be useful. I'd also like some map lights that I can aim (preferably something I can find at the Pick N Pull for cheap), maybe something like this
CCI3336.JPG

or this from the older Fords
55257d1226600361-map-light-rarity-question-maplightfront.jpg

corax

Explorer
I found a bit more inspiration on which direction I might take next, but I can't find any info on the company that built these. I kinda dig the fold-down compartment in the last pic.

tec4x4_lightraveller_big.jpg

tec4x4_extreme_big.jpg

tec4x4_big.jpg

corax

Explorer
The frame is done, so the next step is to bridge the spaces with MDF and then fiberglass over it all. The big flat bits on the left are the radio mounts the short diagonal parts near there are the switch panel mounts. The trapezoid thing on the right is for light/soft/small object storage - it's getting MDF on the front, rear, and bottom with a bungee mesh on both sides.

When it's upside down, it kinda looks like a big remote control car or mini rat-rod frame
100_4835.jpg

corax

Explorer
Using 1/8" MDF, I "sewed" panels onto the frame. Screws would have shown through the 'glass and I figured nylon thread will soak up the resin and not show on the final product. Since the switch panel comes right to the top of the radio face, I decided not to have the power outlets (for plug in gooseneck map lights, etc) in the panel itself - anything I plugged in would get in the way of the 2M radio. So I welded on 2 more small panels to side mount the power outlets.

I still need to drill the holes for the shock cord mesh that will keep things in the small storage area and make a hole to recess my remote CB speaker, but otherwise I think it's finally ready for 'glass. From the switch panel forward (to the left in the pic) will probably just stay as painted metal while the rest will get covered in 'glass cloth - maybe just 3-4 layers and following the contour of the frame to give me recessed areas for future mounting options. So far, my total cost is less than $20 - I expect it might hit $30 after I buy some fiberglass cloth & resin

100_48381.jpg

corax

Explorer
I'm diggin' that rear spoiler. Any idea how much you paid for it way-back-when? And your search terms? :D

I think it was around $40 on ebay with bad paint. It's just a 2nd gen 4runner (90-95) JDM rear spoiler (even though it's not really a spoiler, that's what I kept seeing it called), they pop up every once in awhile on ebay or google image search "4runner JDM spoiler" and see if you can link to a business that way

spoiler install link

corax

Explorer
I think my problem was that I was trying to use pieces of cloth that were too big - if you've ever played with fiberglass cloth you know how easily small piece fray and come apart. That, and years ago I got some sage advice from a trusted body guy, "At some point you gotta stop *%&#ing with it or you'll just make it worse." So I used a razor to cut off the parts that didn't stick to the frame and laid down strips of cloth over the bare parts. The cloth and resin stuck to the MDF boards just fine. It still wasn't adhering to the metal quite how I wanted, so I put a piece of tissue over the cloth and set a piece of wood on top to hold it down. The tissue will soak up some of the resin, but should be easy enough to tear or lightly sand off once dry. A friend also told me that doing this outside (~50 degrees, no work shop) probably didn't help much.

Anyway, I got the frame all covered and somewhat finished - I'm going to live with it for a few weeks before I string up the shock cord. This isn't going to be the final color - it's just some cheap paint I threw on to see how wavy the fiberglass really is - final color is going to be a flat or matte grey like my dash. If I had it to do over, it would be much easier to fiberglass, and the results would be prettier, with mdf on both sides of the metal frame.

100_4840.jpg

100_4841.jpg

corax

Explorer
So here's "good enough for now" - eventually I'll drill the holes to zig zag some shock cord across the small storage area. The plate above my Yaesu still needs to be drilled for the lightbar switches, and you can see the power outlets that I might use for goose-neck map lights on either side.

100_4843.jpg

100_4848.jpg

I also have this in mind to keep the mic cord from swinging around. I already tested it out just haven't mounted it, when I pull on the mic the cord falls right out of the holder. If you need to know where I got this little plastic gem . . . it's a piece that has to be removed from an ES300 window regulator before install (holds a wire spool in place).
100_4850.jpg

RBx

That is really slick I like the concept. I've been looking at mine to figure out how I can incorporate something similar.

corax

Explorer
Thanks! The hardest part was figuring out the mounting aspect of it. Once I got that figured out it wasn't that tough to put together, just took a bit of time (kept me occupied during the slow bits at work).

CMY4XGO

Long time lurker, first time poster. Ive got an 88' myself and you've got some pretty slick mods going on there.

Nice rig!

corax

Explorer
finished and mounted the switch plate. The red LED toggle powers the light bar switches - that way I have some kind of visual letting me know I may have flashing lights on my roof. The 2 top toggles are the white take-down and alley lights. Yellow cap is the amber rotators, red is amber/red front and rear flashers and the green cap is for the stage closing green rotators.

100_4855.jpg

now I'm thinking about fabbing a new light bar mount so I can use the Yak towers with false gutters on the back and ditch my bolt on cargo rails . . . it never ends, does it?

Jrally

Adventurer
Damn, you're ready to work now... My green flashing lights ust plug into my lighter outlet. Last time I used them, I mounted the controller up with the lights, turned them on and off by openning my sunroof, pushing the button, then closing the sunroof...

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior