Craigs list is the best or, I got my new van

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
ford.jpg

After years of searching I finally got the van I was looking for. Found it on Craigslist under yard sales. She's a 91 E250 GTRV camper conversion with the 4wd done by Advanced, and a 5.4L engine. The camper conversion doesn't look like it was ever used, the microwave glass plate is still in Styrofoam, the stove looks new and so does most of the rest of it. Yesterday, I drove five hours to get it and five hours back and it ran just fine. Today was my first good look at it and I still love it, but I discovered several items of concern. Actually, it's amazing I made it home, the transmission cross member is almost broken in half where it was modified to clear the front drive shaft. It needs a bit of redesign. Then I found a coolant leak that's probably from the composite intake manifold. There was a class action suit and a redesigned manifold was made, so I guess I'll be pulling the old one, but it sure looks like a lot of work. There are broken exhaust manifold studs. I'm thinking a set of headers would be nice, but how to remove the old studs from the aluminum heads?. Then there's the transfer case that doesn't want to shift, but when it does only to 4 high, and not with out some really bad noises. Still, no complaints, but I'm new to Fords, so any tips would be appreciated............... Arctic Traveller

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
yup craigslist is great! got my van from CL, got the 4 speed and np205 from CL and just about everything else, get that crossmember fixed first, i sell quite a bit of t-case shift motors assuming thats what its got, but with the grinding and such idunno, check the oil level in the unit. depending on what t-case it has, there usually cheap to buy used and just replace the whole unit if its bad so I wouldn't worry too bad on the tcase

Last edited:

pnwkayaker

Hey Artic Traveller, were you by chance in Anacortes, WA this last Sunday? I was on my way back from San Juan islands and I remember seeing a very similar van as yours on a parking lot (was very intrigued by the low profile of the pop-top roof)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior