Creaking From Front Suspension

wonton

There is a creaking sound coming from the front suspension area. This creaking sound can be heard anytime the suspension is loaded and unloaded like accelerating/braking and uneven/bumpy roads. I'm guessing it could be the upper control arms, but can torsion bars be the culprit? Anyone with similar issue? To note, I've replaced all the ball joints and tie rod ends.

UPDATE: the creaking sound is definitely coming from the torsion bars around the area where it connects to the lower control arm. Everything is all greased when I peeled back the rubber boot where the torsion bar connects to the control arms. The bushings are fine as well. Now I’m very confused how it can creak. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The torsion bars are under constant load and there is grease on the splines, so in theory they shouldn't make any noise ever. I have a creak coming from my front lower arm bushing closest to the front on the driver side, bushings are fine but the creak is just there to annoy me.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The torsion bars have little silencers in the saddles they ride in, if they're missing it'll creak. Your suspension likely needs a full rebuild, the old rubber will creak and groan too just go through it all.

wonton

The torsion bars have little silencers in the saddles they ride in, if they're missing it'll creak. Your suspension likely needs a full rebuild, the old rubber will creak and groan too just go through it all.

Can I buy this silencer separately? How does it look like?

red97rum

When I bought my truck I had a very distinct creaking sound coming from the front passenger area, it did this every time I'd leave from a stop or bounce over small bumps in the road. I had just installed all new ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, rebuilt idler with the ADD king pin kit and the creak was still there! It drove me nuts.. After laying under the truck and checking everything I could think of, something finally caught my eye, I noticed the nut for the bolt going through the passenger lower control arm had slightly less thread sticking out of it when compared to the drivers side.. I torqued down the bolt on the passenger side arm and while it wasn't "completely loose" it definitely was not as tight as it should've been and after that the creaking noise was gone! This may not be your issue, but thought I would share my experience with something similar, good luck with it and I hope you flush it out.

JamesW

Adventurer
When mine was creaking it turned out to be a ball joint was worn out, but as said above, It could also be the torsion bars, so have a poke around under it to be sure. Either way it's not going to be an expensive fix

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

wonton

So the creaking sound is coming from the torsion bars around the area where it connects to the lower control arm. Everything is a greased and looks fine so I’m very confused how it can creak. Any thoughts?

zerodrift

Adventurer
Does anyone have the part number for the torsion bar silencers? I need to replace mine and am having trouble finding the part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94