Crimping a connector: PL-259 or NMO? What tool(s) do I need?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For the last couple of years I've had a cable sitting on the dash of my truck. I had a 2m mobile unit that I installed in 2020 (an OLD Kenwood TM-241 that I bought used off of CL) and I ran the antenna cable down through the dash and over towards the door. Originally I just had the cable run through the door opening near the hinge but that caused wind noise (and wasn't good for the cable, I'm sure, to be pinched like that.) I've already drilled one hole in the firewall for the power cable and I don't mind drilling another, BUT my cable has a PL-259 (big) on one end to attach to the radio and an NMO (much smaller) on the other end. I DON'T want to drill the hold big enough to pass the NMO connector through, I'd rather cut the cable, drill a hole just big enough for the cable and THEN crimp the connector on after passing it through (the antenna is a lip-mount on the hood.)

So what tools to I need to crimp this? And am I right in assuming it would be easier to crimp the NMO connector than a new PL-259? Or would the PL-259 be easier? I don't really care which except that if I have to crimp the PL-259 then I have to "push" the cable upwards through the dash which is more difficult than my current setup where I pushed it downward towards the firewall (I hope this makes sense.)

I took the old Kenwood out, in part because of the noise caused by the antenna cable, but I'd really like to put in a mobile 2m/440 radio. I've got the power connection but I need to get the antenna connected and I really don't have any desire to drill a hole in the roof of the truck.

Thanks in advance!

bnsfham

Hi Martin,

You really don't want to cut off the antenna side of the cable assembly. NMO mounts can be installed, but the connectors are much more readily available and easier/quicker to install. Unless you want to solder the connector, you can buy a crimp-on PL259. You will want one for RG58 cable. You will also need a crimping tool. I would suggest either Amphenol of Times Microwave brands, both are equal and superior in quality. You can find them on any amateur radio site, like DX Engineering, Ham Radio Outlet, Universal Radio, and maybe Amazon. You will also be able to find the crimpers there. One thing to note, is that if you are looking at Times Microwave connectors, they make their own cable line, which aligns with other brands, but is of course named differently. RG-58 is called LMR-195 by Times Microwave. Times also makes a series of connectors called EZ-xxx-xxx (EZ-195/200-UM-X) which only requires a single crimp. I'm not sure how many you many end up installing over time, but the single step stripper and crimper might be worth the investment. I use these tools almost daily in my line of work, and less expensive versions exist. I'm not 100% sure of the rules on including links in here, so I won't. I am not affiliated with any brand or manufacturer, I just know what works. I hope this helps!

GlennA

Adventurer
I recommend cutting the PL-259 off. Pl's are easy to find and easy to install. It's a lot easier to melt the insulation when replacing an NMO.

If you're not confident to install the PL, there should be at least one Ham in your area that's willing to help. If you were near me, I'd take care of it for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles