Crom's Portable Removable OBW (on board water) solution / idea

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I'm going to float my idea here for feedback. Feel free to comment.

When I load out the Tacoma for family adventures, I pack two (2) 1-Gallon sturdy nylon reusable containers in the foot well on the passenger side. For bulk water storage I pack one 7-Gallon Aqua-tainer.

Refilling the 1-gallon containers is cumbersome, if not base camping, because I load it forward in the Tacoma bed.

So I've been thinking of using low-cost, potable-approved solution to pump the water from the 7-gallon container to the rear of the Tacoma where I'll have a water spout.

The aqua-tainer can be easily fitted for a filler neck/tube that is routed to one of the windoor's on the truck shell. This can and will also double as a vent for admission of air into the container when pumping.

Project parts will be safe for human drinking and low cost, low complexity.

The whole thing can be removed, re-purposed or whatever since none of the mounts will be permanent.

7-Gallon water storage, has 3/4 FIPS for installing a 90* fitting for filler spout / vent.
The integrated "vent" cap will be fitted with tubing (straw) for pump pickup.

Seaflo 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Caravan/RV/Boat/Marine

Food grade hose for filler spout / vent

For pump pickup / line out to back of truck.

Add a carbon filter for good measure?

Strainer for pump (really not necessary, but will use anyway).

A potential water filler neck/ quick spout with valve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 96197

I'll be watching how this comes together for you, I'd a good way to carry water in my 4runner.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Low tech
17af030ab6c660d7d7830255e7814915.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crom

nice alternative solution here: http://www.livingoverland.com/2013/08/12-volt-water-system-scepter.html

The in tank pump and faucet with built in switch is perfect. Just plug it into your 12v.

Thanks for posting. That's a good solution. My bulk water in aqua-tainer will be generally inaccessible because blocked by other gear, hence my wanting to pump.

Low tech
17af030ab6c660d7d7830255e7814915.jpg

Stop. Makes too much sense! That's a very simple solution, I do like it a lot. I have a basket on my swing gate where I can put water too if I want. But the aquatainer is like 56 lbs loaded and want to keep it out of the sun / elements. I try and keep heavy, dense things loaded low and between the axles whenever possible.

BTW, that looks like a Brute-Force Fab bumper? Swing gate looks different from mine though. Thanks for posting.

Crom

Well I ordered the pump, some tubing, and push to connect fittings. Hooray for another water project!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Would a packing re-org enable placement of the aquatainer up high at the rear. Then the spigot is accessible and gravity does the work. A hose on the spigot can let you direct it where you want.

I have and have used aquatainers, but now they are just an emergency supply at home. Their price has gone up sharply in recent years and their bottom plastic has been so thin I've taken to putting bedliner on their bottoms to beef them up.

I recently laid hands on some Specter 'civilian' 20L for $18ea (normal pricing) at Tractor Supply and they are MUCH sturdier. And/but they are deliberately shaped to be incompatible with normal jerry-can / MFC / MWC holders. They're the light blue jugs in this pic

fullup%20fillup_zpszich9ocx.jpg

Crom

Would a packing re-org enable placement of the aquatainer up high at the rear. Then the spigot is accessible and gravity does the work. A hose on the spigot can let you direct it where you want.

I have and have used aquatainers, but now they are just an emergency supply at home. Their price has gone up sharply in recent years and their bottom plastic has been so thin I've taken to putting bedliner on their bottoms to beef them up.

I recently laid hands on some Specter 'civilian' 20L for $18ea (normal pricing) at Tractor Supply and they are MUCH sturdier. And/but they are deliberately shaped to be incompatible with normal jerry-can / MFC / MWC holders. They're the light blue jugs in this pic

fullup fillup_zpszich9ocx.jpg

Thanks Ray.

Yeah the aquatainer is a really cheap container. I think the retail cost is $15. I too use them for home potable water storage, good use for them IMO. It is for sure questionable whether they are even suitable for overland / back country travel. Definitely better tougher market options out there.

The good about the aquatainer is that it's like 12" x 12" square. I'm committed to the footrpint for now. THere is a partitioning shelf above the water container so I can load above it without anything impacting it. Everything loaded around the aquatinaer will be secured so no rubbing or other problems should occur.

To your question, I want the water container forward in the bed for good weight distribution. And can't put it on the back, for other reasons as well, In our case, the back end of the Tacoma has a fridge mounted, and it's also where we carry our kitchen tool chest, which allows us near instant access to anything "kitchen" related.

Thank you for your post, and recommendation to beef up the bottom of the container!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting. That's a good solution. My bulk water in aqua-tainer will be generally inaccessible because blocked by other gear, hence my wanting to pump.

Stop. Makes too much sense! That's a very simple solution, I do like it a lot. I have a basket on my swing gate where I can put water too if I want. But the aquatainer is like 56 lbs loaded and want to keep it out of the sun / elements. I try and keep heavy, dense things loaded low and between the axles whenever possible.

BTW, that looks like a Brute-Force Fab bumper? Swing gate looks different from mine though. Thanks for posting.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Wo...54805&sr=8-10&keywords=Stainless+Water+spigot

Wow good eye on the brute force bumper. It's actually a tundra bumper is why it looks a tad difference.

Crom

Crom, I've got the exact same water pump setup in my Tacoma. Purchased it as part of a "kit" from a fella on TacomaWorld. I have it mounted (and powered) semi-permanently in a box that sits on top of one of my wheel wells (in the bed), with a quick-connect facing the rear of the truck. The intake hose goes into any water container. Works great.

This account does not have enough posts to include photos or links, so you'll have to take the URLs below, and add "https://" in front of them.

i.imgur.com/hVoupqC.jpg

i.imgur.com/gk0BUIX.jpg

i.imgur.com/HN5XYP1.jpg

I'll be purchasing a propane-powered water heater in the next few weeks so that I can have warm showers.

Thanks for taking time to post that. I like your box on the wheel well. And that L-track is great. I used it extensively in the bed of the truck. Good stuff!

I'll repost your pics

hVoupqC.jpg

gk0BUIX.jpg

HN5XYP1.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Wo...54805&sr=8-10&keywords=Stainless+Water+spigot

Wow good eye on the brute force bumper. It's actually a tundra bumper is why it looks a tad difference.

Right on! THank you.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
the mesh strainer will tend to pack with scum....we have them on all the custodial equipment at the university and every 6 months I have to clean scum off them because they will pack up and not flow...

A filter will do a better job and give you so much more surface area for longevity...

Crom

Did a proof of concept with basic components, jug, pump, tubing. So far, is good. More parts arriving Tuesday, I'll finish the tubing and install. Electrical switch and wiring should get done late today.

Will post pics once complete.

dman93

Adventurer
@Crom - I understand why you put your water at the front of the bed (weight distribution, and need tailgate access for other stuff) but how do you refill the Aquatainers on a trip when they're up front? I don't have any "fixed" storage, and in fact I'm still packing differently on every trip, it seems, but one headache is always extracting the empty Aquatainer for a fill up, and then replacing that 50 lb jug up and over and around other stuff. I've been leaning towards using a few smaller, lighter jugs which are easier to store in empty spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles