CruiserFest 2014 - Thanks for a great event!

Box Rocket

Sunrise the next morning did not disappoint.

We left from the Silver Island Mountains and Troy Demill and I made our way to Wendover, Utah where I'd find a shop that let me use their welder to fix my trailer. The rest of the group headed for the Wendover Air Base for a guided tour of the base. This base was home to the Enola Gay the B29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Japan. This base was where the bomb was loaded and the planes left from. There was an airshow happening the next day so there were a couple WWII era planes there including a B25 that we were able to go through. Such a great feeling of history. Props to Ryan Davis for arranging the tour of the base.

The "Maid in the Shade" B25

My boys Bjornn and Soren checking out the 50 cal. waist guns in the B25

Box Rocket

After touring the airbase we got back on the dirt and headed south, making a stop at Blue Lake.

Our next stop was the small town of Gold Hill. The old Mercantile was fascinating along with some of the other dilapidated buildings.

Box Rocket

Sully

Sully and Soren discussing the finer points of toy planes

a "shrine" of some kind on this mailbox?

In case we needed a screwdriver, Zetta found one in the road.

Box Rocket

From there it was following the Pony Express route out of Gold Hill with a stop at one of the historic Pony Express Stations

Apparently Gold can be found in places other than Gold Hill

We would camp that night near Callao, Utah

Getting ready for some star gazing.

The search was on for grasshoppers and crickets

As evening came the moon rose and some clouds rolled in

The next morning was no less beautiful with an impressive sunrise

Box Rocket

That day was our final day on the trail along the Weiss Highway and we made one stop at the Hole in the Wall Well for a group photo on our way to Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge.

We continued along the past the Black Rock Pony Express Station until we made it to Simpson Springs where we met up with the other "expedition" group coming in from Moab, Denver, and Grand Junction. Now as one large group we convoyed to Grantsville, Utah and Miller Motorsports Park to Cruiserville for the remainer of the event.

Box Rocket

Cruiserville is a visual buffet of impressive Toyotas. 4WD's of all models had their own sections marked in Cruiserville along with a vendor section, a large tent for breakfast and classes, and a large fire pit all directly across from the manmade rockcrawling course and just west of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum that houses a growing collection of every model Land Cruiser ever offered as well as the E7 Expedition Land Cruisers that just completed a 58,000 mile journey around the world visiting all 7 continents.

If you have a weakness called "envy" this is not the place for you. No coincidence the saying is "green with envy". :)

Box Rocket

Morning came quickly and the beginning of a number of workshops throughout the day, as well as a rockcrawling competition and the dinner and raffle. Of course there was plenty of time to check out all the different trucks.

You can't have a complete collection of Cruisers without a Mega Cruiser.

Box Rocket

Beau Johnston of Living Overland taught a cooking class during breakfast.

Kurt Williams of Cruiser Outfitters taught a class on vehicle recovery

Ryan Davis of Ratio AV taught a class on Radios and Communications

Johnny is clearly impressed with Ryan's knowledge. ;)

...which Devin finds quite humorous

Greg and CruiserDan, however finds it all a bit confusing. ;)

Other classes were taught about avoiding dangerous mistakes in the backcountry. How to plan your expedition taught by Scott Brady and Digital Storytelling (photography class) taught by Bruce Dorn.

Box Rocket

Greg Miller's passion for Land Cruisers can be felt throughout the entire event since this was all his brain child. It is extremely cool that he has collected such a wide range of Land Cruisers that will now be preserved in his museum for so many of us to enjoy. Just make a trip to Utah and check it out for yourself.

A clean '74 FJ40 on the rockcrawling course.

Of course there were a few overlanding celebrities on hand. Clay Croft and the XOverland crew were there. The E7 team was also there.

Clay Croft's super cool FJ62

Box Rocket

I could spend hours in the museum drooling over all the Land Cruisers

The focal point of the museum is the E7 Land Cruisers

That seems to make a fitting end to my photos and account of my trip. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
If I could take a picture half as good as any of those I'd end up with hundreds as well. Thanks for sharing Adam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior