Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm surprised no-one is putting these engines into full size trucks. They have similar specs to the old 6.2 diesel while being lighter. That engine found its way into one ton trucks and school buses.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I'm surprised no-one is putting these engines into full size trucks. They have similar specs to the old 6.2 diesel while being lighter. That engine found its way into one ton trucks and school buses.

I am not at all surprised!

The 6.2's and the later 6.5's GM diesels were huge compromises to get a GM diesel equipped PU truck out the door. Those engines were horribly under powered for the vehicles in which they were installed. The 7.3 IDI International was not that much better either from a power standpoint although a step up from the earlier 6.9 IDI International. Swapping in that baby Cummins brings you right back to the same under powered vehicle you had in the first place.

Then there is the PRICE of the new baby Cummins engine.

Pretty hard to swallow that price when there are lots of 12 valve and 24 valve 5.9 six cylinder Cummins engines available out there for way less than half the amount of money they ask for the new baby Cummins AND there is a HUGE aftermarket to provide swap parts and support for swapping that 5.9 Cummins into a large variety of different vehicles.

Last edited:

polishammer

I agree with vintageracer. I spoke with Cummins rep at the Overland Expo East about this engine as they did have few swaps on the display. For the same money you can do 5.9 Cummins or 6.6 Duramax swap. We talked about putting it into H1 and he mentioned that this engine feels at home in Jeeps, LC or Land Rovers, but anything bigger and it would struggle. Late GM 6.5 Diesel was rated at 215HP and 440LB-FT and it feels sluggish in big trucks.

Last edited:

mccustomize

Explorer
While I can see the attraction to this swap in something small, lightweight, like a jeep, us fullsize guys are wanting more. I was intrigued to learn of a rumor that the 5.0 cummins might be a possible crate package in the future. Now that is something I would be interested in since my current 5.3 LS based motor makes more HP and Torque than the 2.8R.

Now for the price I do not see the appeal either honestly, as an LS based swap would be considerably less money and how long would it take you to save $10k in fuel cost.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
[QUOTE="mccustomize, post: 2555834, member: 92732"
Now for the price I do not see the appeal either honestly, as an LS based swap would be considerably less money and how long would it take you to save $10k in fuel cost.[/QUOTE]

The appreal is DIESEL, there is no ROI through fuel savings and if you dont care if its a diesel or gasser then go gasser.
But if you like lower operability cost and the diesel style of driving its hard to beat a diesel
Comparing the two is apple vs oranges its what ever fruit you like better

Dalko43

Explorer
Then there is the PRICE of the new baby Cummins engine.

Pretty hard to swallow that price when there are lots of 12 valve and 24 valve 5.9 six cylinder Cummins engines available out there for way less than half the amount of money they ask for the new baby Cummins AND there is a HUGE aftermarket to provide swap parts and support for swapping that 5.9 Cummins into a large variety of different vehicles.

The price isn't that outrageous when you consider what comes with the kit. If you're concerned about getting your money's worth, then you're better off not doing any engine swap at all....short of some custom rebuild done by a credible shop, these engine swaps never see any ROI. But for people who want to replace their tired and inefficient gasoline engines in their old Jeeps, LR's and LC's, this engine can make a lot of sense.

As for a 12v cummins swap being cheaper....yeah okay. But it's also a 1,000lb engine with all the refinement of a tractor motor. Really the only suitable candidates for those engines would be older 3/4 tons. And you're assuming more risk with a used engine.

jfman

The main thing that puts me off is that they aren't commercially used in any vehicle sold in North America.

So in 10 years when youll need a part youll have to order from overseas.

6gun

My choice came down to I was planning a very built V8 swap in my '99 Ranger and quite honestly counting the engine and transmission build the numbers were pretty dang close within $1K of the budget set aside for the V-8 swap. After much review and soul-searching I determined that 20-25MPG(hopefully) would be more fun than the ability to toast $500 worth of tires on command. I live on a main trucking corridor with 6 Cummins dealers within 50 miles so I'm not worried about parts. One day it may be that I can't get a certain part anymore if that time comes then we'll swap motors again!

Roverchef

Adventurer
My choice came down to I was planning a very built V8 swap in my '99 Ranger and quite honestly counting the engine and transmission build the numbers were pretty dang close within $1K of the budget set aside for the V-8 swap. After much review and soul-searching I determined that 20-25MPG(hopefully) would be more fun than the ability to toast $500 worth of tires on command. I live on a main trucking corridor with 6 Cummins dealers within 50 miles so I'm not worried about parts. One day it may be that I can't get a certain part anymore if that time comes then we'll swap motors again!
You'll be very surprised @ the ability to smoke tire with the R2.8 and you MPG should be closer to 25-30mpg. You shouldn't have any issues getting parts for these motors for @ least a few decades.

6gun

You'll be very surprised @ the ability to smoke tire with the R2.8 and you MPG should be closer to 25-30mpg. You shouldn't have any issues getting parts for these motors for @ least a few decades.

If I can smoke 39X12.50R17s 16yo me will be extremely happy :cool:, 48yo me that has to buy replacements, not so much! o_O. The 280K mile 4.0 that was in the truck managed 11-12mpg on our Colorado trip so you can see how even 20 would have me elated! 25mpg would have me dancing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste