Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Where's all the nay-sayers saying no way under $10k!

Great job on Cummins for offering this at a reasonable price.

I assumed it would be sold through resellers and a markup would be included. Since it's sold directly through Cummins, that eliminates the middle man who would of added a few thousand to the price.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
What will you do for a transmission?
It will be the NSG 370 6 speed. I am debating whether to rebuild it with new bearings and syncros ( parts are about $650+ $600 labor) or buy a new one for $1650 ( if I can trust the trans dealer)

6 speed sounds perfect! :)
I just looked at the Grim Jeeper gearing page.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Looks like there are three versions available. Older version (pre-2012), newer version (2012 and up) and a wide ratio version.
I don't have any first hand experience with the NSG 370. Are there any upgrades to make it "diesel proof"?

If not, my vote would be a new close ratio version, and would base my choice on final gearing and tire choice. The only difference if final drive ratio. which could significantly impact mpg at freeway cruise.

Pretty cool stuff! :)

MuleShoer

Adventurer
It was my understand that the NSG 370 started in wranglers 2005 prior to that it was the NP 3550 5 speed, but the 370 was used in other vehicles including Mercedes, so there are various ratios. It is rated for 275ftlb of torque so the stock R2.8 will be fine. If you start turning up the juice then a NV4500 might be needed
I plan to keep it stock and see how well it operates

My diff gears are 4.11 & 37" tires the cummins calculator says 3:73 is best for final drive at 70mph. I will any with the 4:11's and see if i need to re-gear

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Looks like there are three versions available. Older version (pre-2012), newer version (2012 and up) and a wide ratio version.
I don't have any first hand experience with the NSG 370. Are there any upgrades to make it "diesel proof"?

The NSG 370 was used by Mercedes for years behind many of their gas and diesel engines (OM 606 for example).
The guys tuning those diesels say it can hold a lot of hp & torque, well over what it is rated for.

-Dan

bjunc

Observer
glad I got mine ordered last week so Im in the front of the line :smiley_drive:

Anxiously awaiting your progress reports. I currently have a 2014 JKUR that I am selling, and I'm leaning towards buying something pre-1999 (potentially much older) and putting a R2.8 in it – after you de-risk it for me, of course :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Where's all the nay-sayers saying no way under $10k!

Great job on Cummins for offering this at a reasonable price.
I have a theory. This is about loss mitigation, cummings isn't doing this out of kindness its a bean counter world they have a end of life cycle for each engine and they want that cycle to end in the black. If they sell out this batch theyll up the price and or swap to the distributors to take it off their plate.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It was my understand that the NSG 370 started in wranglers 2005 prior to that it was the NP 3550 5 speed, but the 370 was used in other vehicles including Mercedes, so there are various ratios. It is rated for 275ftlb of torque so the stock R2.8 will be fine. If you start turning up the juice then a NV4500 might be needed
I plan to keep it stock and see how well it operates

My diff gears are 4.11 & 37" tires the cummins calculator says 3:73 is best for final drive at 70mph. I will any with the 4:11's and see if i need to re-gear

Makes sense why there are three different versions with different gearing.
I have a 4L60E behind the 4BT with 35" tires and 3.73 gearing. I really like this combo, but it would be even better if there was a gear to split the difference between 1st and 2nd.
All three versions of the NSG 370 have great gearing. I think from a gearing point of view, either of the close ratio jeep boxes would be best choice. 2012 would drop your rpm about 130 at 70mph. Both will put you slightly above 2K rpms at that speed. So I see why Cummins recommends the 3.73.
The 3.73 gears would drop you into the 1900rpm range at 70.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
The guys tuning those diesels say it can hold a lot of hp & torque, well over what it is rated for.
-Dan[/QUOTE]
Thanks Dan, I am going to also rebuild it ( new bearings and syncros) or by a new one. there is a trans company called high gear that has new ones for $1650. waiting on a quote from a trans shop as well

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Anxiously awaiting your progress reports. I currently have a 2014 JKUR that I am selling, and I'm leaning towards buying something pre-1999 (potentially much older) and putting a R2.8 in it – after you de-risk it for me, of course :)

Right now I plan to take the brute in on Oct 15th to AXIS, they are going to also help me finish my new remote battery box cluster design so If all goes well then by december 1st I will be driving it
Your not that far away we could rondavou and wheel the fort valley masanenutten mountains, then you can drive it.
There are distinct difference in the TJ's by model year. I tend to favor the 05-06 rubicon since it has the 6 speed tranny and best transfer case plus dana 44 axles which are great as long as you stay with 35" or smaller tires. Due to suspension changes I would be careful with YJ with leafs. Low milage TJ's are climbing in value as well...
The good thing is you never run out of opportunities to spend money

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Makes sense why there are three different versions with different gearing.
I have a 4L60E behind the 4BT with 35" tires and 3.73 gearing. I really like this combo, but it would be even better if there was a gear to split the difference between 1st and 2nd.
All three versions of the NSG 370 have great gearing. I think from a gearing point of view, either of the close ratio jeep boxes would be best choice. 2012 would drop your rpm about 130 at 70mph. Both will put you slightly above 2K rpms at that speed. So I see why Cummins recommends the 3.73.
The 3.73 gears would drop you into the 1900rpm range at 70.

Scott
thanks in my 4bt FJ40 I installed a 700R4 built for the diesel power band and added a constant pressure valve body to keep the clutch from frying, I have 32's and 3:73 gears. at the moment its apart while I redo the suspension for the 2nd time

Mottavator

Amen to that Brother! You mite has to give your right arm too! I am considering the Isuzu 4BD1 or 2 for my 2001 GMC Safari AWD.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Update: Cummins conversion has begun on the Brute. Axis Industries USA will be posting progress on their Facebook
Along with the engine we will install a 25 gal extended range tank, new 6 speed trans, finalize the dual battery set up & regage the instrument panel with custom attometer instruments. None of this is necessary for the swap but but as this is my expo rig and hopefully a long distance rally or two now is the best time.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Update: Cummins conversion has begun on the Brute. Axis Industries USA will be posting progress on their Facebook
Along with the engine we will install a 25 gal extended range tank, new 6 speed trans, finalize the dual battery set up & regage the instrument panel with custom attometer instruments. None of this is necessary for the swap but but as this is my expo rig and hopefully a long distance rally or two now is the best time.

That will be a great rig. Congratulations!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Would be way cool to see a build thread on this. Maybe in the Jeep subforum, or on your web site.
Hard part is all the additional time it takes to document.
Also noticed Advanced Adapters has the GM transmission adapter available. Which might be a great option for your R2.8L/ 4L6xE build. :)
Here's to great success! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste