Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
What will you do for a transmission?
It will be the NSG 370 6 speed. I am debating whether to rebuild it with new bearings and syncros ( parts are about $650+ $600 labor) or buy a new one for $1650 ( if I can trust the trans dealer)

After dealing with a NSG370 rebuild in the past, I plan to give mine the boot this winter in favor of an AX-15. Bad transmission? No. Expensive to repair? Yes, not to mention noisy as hell too. Either I got screwed over my the guy that repaired mine or its Mercedes being Mercedes but I paid around upwards of $2.5k to get the shifter assembly replaced + clutch. Only thing I can see myself missing once the NSG370 is gone is smooth as butter shifts and ultra low 1st gear.

Beautiful Brute by the way

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I will start a small build thread once this gets moving a little more. I believe AXIS also has automatic adapters developed as well
Depending on cost vs cash I am also considering a complete suspension change, basically jettisoning anything hanging below the frame and upgrading, being a 117" wheel base leaves little option except custom. Reliability being the focus.
As most people who have built up an older rig know it is like setting up dominos, when the first one falls its is hard to stop until there all down.

I am staying with the NSG 370 trans, I have purchased a "new" one for the price you stated, hopefully it won't be a problem but it does have a warranty. Plus I replaced flywheel & clutch so everything is new forward of the XTR. AX15 will not interface with my transfer case. I am sure you reviewed the NOVAK site for pros and cons on the various transmission choices.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I am sure you reviewed the NOVAK site for pros and cons on the various transmission choices.

Yes and no. Only thing I am still waiting for a response on is how to get the AX-15 properly paired to my stock 241 TC. Everything else should bolt right up

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Yes and no. Only thing I am still waiting for a response on is how to get the AX-15 properly paired to my stock 241 TC. Everything else should bolt right up

I think the AX15 is compatible with the NP214 meaning it does not need to be adapted

BTW I saw you signature
I have a marlin 44 magnum in takedown

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm looking forward to seeing the jeep builds with this engine. I also would like to see someone put this engine into a LC 60 or 80 series....that would be a rig I could see myself building in the future.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I just saw something on an LC with this engine. It was part of another article, but I can't remember where I saw it.
It was a group running together with Cummins engineers doing datalogging.
If I run across it again, I'll post the link. It had a real short write-up on the LC, which is a right hand drive unit.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to seeing the jeep builds with this engine. I also would like to see someone put this engine into a LC 60 or 80 series....that would be a rig I could see myself building in the future.

Check out Profits Resurrection I believe they are build up an LC with a R2.8

2000LJ

Observer
I just saw something on an LC with this engine. It was part of another article, but I can't remember where I saw it.
It was a group running together with Cummins engineers doing datalogging.
If I run across it again, I'll post the link. It had a real short write-up on the LC, which is a right hand drive unit.

TAV in ABQ Nm has a FJ40 with the R2.8 and an auto. One of the first I think.
Found some info and the beginnings of a build thread.

https://www.repowerowners.com/forum/r2-8-r3-8-builds/145-tav-fj40-build

I know the RePowerToy has been on programming runs and to the Cummins plant as well.

NitroExpress

Observer
Got One!

Baby Cummins v3.jpg

Got mine last month. It's going in my 1982 Jeep CJ-8 in front of an AX-15 5 speed. The project won't begin until January or February. It's damn hard to wait when I look at that crate sitting in my barn!

MuleShoer

Adventurer
What adapter are going to use?

Mine would have been done but I decided to redesign the entire suspension for coilovers so it is easier to complete that first.
I should be back on the road aby early february

NitroExpress

Observer
What adapter are going to use?

Mine would have been done but I decided to redesign the entire suspension for coilovers so it is easier to complete that first.
I should be back on the road aby early february

Likely Advance adapter. Changes the back of the engine to an AMC bolt pattern. They are SUPPOSED to have engine mounts by now as well.

Other sources for putting the drivetrain together:
axisindustriesusa.com
novak-adapt.com

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I am using AXIS since they did Cummins development work and have all the bits. Their adapters are well refined, my trans is an NGS 370 6 speed
AXIS is working on my jeep for the my engine conversion which is little more complicated then a CJ since I am retaining AC along with a host of other changes
Also Cummins is only15 minutes from their shop

I was unaware Novak had developed an R2.8 engine - trans adapter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste