Oil eater.
Since this is about the engine here are some packaging photos
Because I have coil over towers it complicated the plumbing
Also this is before I changed from a stock radiator to a cross flow CBR
I run dual batteries and their in the bed box
Looks purty in there.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Yes they did it was released in September.
It increased torque to 310 ftlbs and smoothed the power curve
It is a nice improvement

Dalko43

Explorer
Yes they did it was released in September.
It increased torque to 310 ftlbs and smoothed the power curve
It is a nice improvement

Whereas the original 270 ft-lbs seemed a bit on the low side, 310 ft-lbs is more than enough to power a moderately built LC or midsized pickup. I'm glad Cummins updated the engine software.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Food for thought- http://dieseltoys.com/4bt-engine-conversions

I wouldn't even consider this 90 day warranty wonder that is made in china...

Resurrection Landcruisers estimates $28,000 for this engine and transmission conversion for parts and labor

You are mis informed it is a two year warranty

This is an internationally distrubuted engine for cummins there are literly 100,000’s plus in service it not your old diatsu tractor engine it is a CR diesel

If you break out the purchased parts for the conversion you would understand that the labor is inlign in fact it is less then other
Shops plus you getthe Proffitts backing

azlandrover

You are mis informed it is a two year warranty

This is an internationally distrubuted engine for cummins there are literly 100,000’s plus in service it not your old diatsu tractor engine it is a CR diesel

If you break out the purchased parts for the conversion you would understand that the labor is inlign in fact it is less then other
Shops plus you getthe Proffitts backing

Cummins warranty was initially 90 days. It was just recently increased to 2yrs., but only for parts, not labor.

quote from dieseltoys.com -
Established in 2004 and featured in almost every major automotive publication, we have earned the reputation of being the premiere diesel conversion company worldwide. Diesel Toys® designs AND manufactures our own proprietary wiring harnesses and mounting systems for our conversions.

When Cummins announced the R2.8 crate engine program at SEMA in 2016. These sounded like the ultimate setup. Among the many features promised, we were told that these brand new crate engines would carry an emissions compliance certificate, and legendary Cummins reliability. We were excited! The Cummins reps that we spoke to at the SEMA show were also touting a $5000-6000 purchase price which was really unbelievable. So, we quietly began researching anything we could find on the platform. We purchased a complete 2.8 ISF from overseas, flew overseas to speak with people with real-world experience with these engines, explored reliability numbers, and even completed a prototype conversion. Our findings were NOT good…

The R2.8 is entirely built and assembled in China. Starting in 2009, the 2.8 ISF engines were licensed and installed into Chinese Foton Tunland pickups. The 2.8 ISF has an absolutely TERRIBLE reputation overseas. Premature connecting rod failures, bad injectors, turbocharger failures, the list goes on and on. In fact, everyone we spoke with about the 2.8 had nothing but bad things to say about them.

Next, we went at this from a parts perspective. We wanted to know once the Cummins warranty runs out, how difficult are parts to get for these things? Impossible in fact. We found that the ONLY vendors selling parts are Chinese vendors on Alibaba.com and they all wanted wire transfer payments and none of them spoke English. Since these engines are not sold here, nobody stocks parts. We asked Cummins directly if they would sell us parts and they don’t even find most of the parts for these engines in their system. So, on parts that was also a FAIL.

In late 2017, Cummins finally released the R2.8 Crate Engine Program. Sadly, Cummins had almost doubled their initial price estimate than what we were told at the SEMA show, the engines carry no emissions compliance certificates for vehicles newer than 1999, and incredibly only carries a 90 DAY WARRANTY! We were floored…With a purchase price just shy of $10,000 and a warranty that will run out before you get it installed, what is their target market? The R2.8 Crate Engine Program includes no provisions for transmission, no controllers for anything, no cooling system, nothing. For $10k all you’re getting is an engine with a piggy-back wire harness and accelerator pedal. That’s it. This means that putting that engine into ANYTHING other than a 20 year-old Jeep will require a ton of development, a standalone transmission controller, air conditioning system provisions, cooling system, air cleaner, intercooler system, mounting system, adapters for the transmission, the list goes on and on. Most modern (2005+) vehicles have computers for pretty much everything. Getting cruise control, air conditioning, ABS systems to all work with the R2.8 will require custom computer boxes with custom-code written in them. This means EXPENSIVE…

Sadly, in our opinion the Cummins R2.8 Crate Engine Program is DOA. They are crazy expensive, will be an extraordinarily difficult installation as everything will need to be hand-built, and only carry a 90-day warranty. We have been in the diesel conversion business for almost 15 years so our experience is unmatched in the industry. From a professional conversion company’s perspective, the Cummins R2.8 conversions will LOOK like conversions and will not have the stock fit & finish we’re known for. Franken-swaps are not in our DNA and we don’t feel that is something paying customers want. We asked ourselves, “who on earth wants to pay to install a Chinese R2.8 engine into their Toyota when they can get a factory Toyota D-4D engine with legendary reliability and power for less money”? Our approach has always been minimalist as nothing can compare to the factory designed stuff and the more one deviates from this the more the conversion starts looking like a franken-swap and the reliability of the finished product goes way down.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Who wrote the above? Looks familiar you left that off
That info is obsolete, you need to post up several of the current installers comments like ICON, TorFab etc. its always best to have the most current info
24 month is a big improvement and better then say the turner Engineering 12 month, “details on request” warranty
Most R2.8 conversions are only a year old so it is premature to condemn or praise. So far so good.
I have completed 3 conversions, 2 diesel one land rover 109 gasser, i am now working on #4 diesel, the jeep install was hired out which was a questionable decision on my part, nothing to do with the cummins, unless your using used parts they all add up quickly and are on par with each other, subing out add $5-7000 in cost. The brute was $21000 with lbor, my 4bt pushed $15000 with a used engine that needed a complete rebuild, the 3.9 in the 109 was ouch more then either and ill leave it at that, the fj, in work now, is estimated at $18,000 in parts, my transmission/transfer case will be close to engine cost.
If you have pefromed conversions you would know this not a complicated install, adapter to install transmission and plumbing, almost all can be sourced. Electronics are stand alone, the challenge comes with the vehicle selected a D110 has more packaging issues then toyota etc
The point is non standard engine conversions are not cheap like the old small block in a jeep was .
I have 3200 miles on the R2.8 engine all is well, Cummins support has been great and you can reach the repower team directly with questions i have a 10 day 3000 mile rally in January that will be a good endirance test for others to read about.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I see that in a previous post. I guess if i was marketing toyota diesels ( great diesel btw wish they would import the tacoma with it) i would try and sway my customers by discrediting the compitition. Actually kinda bush league comments to put on ones website Imho. You will notice that the R2.8 and the D-4D have very similar specs. So why is their $28,000+ conversion without transmission and it doesn't state new engine, bother you but the new cummins does?
You should drive one, your welcome to come drive either one of mine next spring
Cheers

Dalko43

Explorer
As I stated in my post- diesel toys.com
They have 15 years of experience doing conversions- check their website.

They're a biased vendor since their main business is selling and conducting Toyota diesel conversions (which to my knowledge, isn't even EPA-complaint); the 2.8l Cummins is a direct threat to their business model. It's nothing short of laughable that they criticize the 2.8l Cummins as being "crazy expensive" but then have the balls to ask +$30k for their Toyota diesel conversions. Unless they've actually had hands on with a 2.8l Cummins conversion, I don't know why anyone would give credibility to their skepticism.

Has anyone here even gotten a conversion done by this company? It just seems interesting that their website is referenced (usually regurgitated in a verbatim fashion) whenever the negatives of the 2.8l Cummins are brought up. Yet, short of these threads, I've never heard anyone mention this company or one of their conversions being used by an overlander.

The 2.8L Cummins is an American-designed engine that is sold and used internationally. The fact that it happens to be made in China shouldn't be a big deal. Plenty of big name auto companies outsource some of their manufacturing to less developed economies; even Toyota does this to some degree.

Just because someone writes something on the internet doesn't mean you have to believe it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles