Cummins B3.3 Powered FJ60

awesome conversion.......kudos to you and you attention to detail...you have a beautiful rig and yes, i am envious !! Regarding the turbo whistle...Please dont quote me on it, and maybe someone else may verify, but on my 5.9, there was a "silencer ring" in the intake side on the turbo. I looked and cant seem to find a blown up view of your turbo, but ....i dunno...maybe its not there???

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
awesome conversion.......kudos to you and you attention to detail...you have a beautiful rig and yes, i am envious !! Regarding the turbo whistle...Please dont quote me on it, and maybe someone else may verify, but on my 5.9, there was a "silencer ring" in the intake side on the turbo. I looked and cant seem to find a blown up view of your turbo, but ....i dunno...maybe its not there???

Thanks im going to pull out the books and look into this... i wonder if i missed that when i removed the old system. That would make my life so much easier than pulling the dash and sound proofing!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Your's is an outstanding piece of work...well done.

Question: In one of the early photos, the rear cargo area was covered with what appeared to be diamond tread pattern rubber mat. Can you recall the source for the material you used?

Regards

Jim

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
Your's is an outstanding piece of work...well done.

Question: In one of the early photos, the rear cargo area was covered with what appeared to be diamond tread pattern rubber mat. Can you recall the source for the material you used?

Regards

Jim

Its the SOR mat they sell.

Danimal

Adventurer
This MHI turbo likely does not have a silencer ring like a 6BT Holset turbo does. I can check manuals, if that would help.

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
This MHI turbo likely does not have a silencer ring like a 6BT Holset turbo does. I can check manuals, if that would help.

I looked in all my manuals and could not see a reference to one. Oh well... does cummins or anybody make a universal one that just fits in that diameter hole? Ive googled this but everything that comes up is literally thousands of dodge ram owners asking if there truck will still run if there silencer rings are removed.

Danimal

Adventurer
...does cummins or anybody make a universal one that just fits in that diameter hole? Ive googled this but everything that comes up is literally thousands of dodge ram owners asking if there truck will still run if there silencer rings are removed.

Ha! That's hilarious to me, as I know Holset engineers who work hard to make these things as quiet as reasonably possible.

No, Cummins does not make one that I'm aware of. Intake tube and airbox would really help, I'd think.

Dan

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
When you changed belts how much larger of a belt did you get? If the first belt was too tight maybe try going .5" larger or 1" larger. I have had great luck adjusting belt sizes like that to maintain clearances. The benefit of this to you is you can fit the factory air box back on and muffle the turbo and bit and get the added benefit of cooler intake air. Most parts stores have belts in .5" increments so should be easy to get.

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
I went from a B53 to a B54. They had "racecar'd the b53 on there and the belt proceeded to eat itself it was so tight. Me, friends, mechanics all could not get the B53 size belt back on there. Next size for the B belts is the 54... i tried to find a 53.5 to no avail.

So thats why im on there with the small air cleaner. I want nothing more than to get the original toyota one on there, but i dont think that is going to happen unless some fabrication on brackets takes place...

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I went from a B53 to a B54. They had "racecar'd the b53 on there and the belt proceeded to eat itself it was so tight. Me, friends, mechanics all could not get the B53 size belt back on there. Next size for the B belts is the 54... i tried to find a 53.5 to no avail.

So thats why im on there with the small air cleaner. I want nothing more than to get the original toyota one on there, but i dont think that is going to happen unless some fabrication on brackets takes place...

Quick Google search turned up this belt:

http://www.fidelityindustrial.com/Jason-Industrial-V-Belt-Section-32-inch/dp/B00A9ZMSYC

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
Of course. ******! I swear I looked up and down for that belt I even had a mechanic buddy looking. Now I sold all that air cleaner stuff thinking it was a lost cause. Guess I will be calling sor...

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Of course. ******! I swear I looked up and down for that belt I even had a mechanic buddy looking. Now I sold all that air cleaner stuff thinking it was a lost cause. Guess I will be calling sor...

I would get the belt first and make sure it will allow you enough room for the air cleaner first then re buy all the 60 air cleaner parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste

Members online