Custom Build or remodel shell?

almac

Evening all.
I've been looking for a suitable truck for a camper build. to my delight, I finally discovered the Fuso FG 4x4!
it looks to be suitable for my needs. I want the 4x4 for light off roading and driving in winter conditions, however most of my time will be urban/street usage.

I want to build a camper on the rear, and I have 2 options.
1. buy a Fuso with a aluminum box and insulate and add windows for the shell and build out the camper interior.
OR
2. buy a bare Fuso chassis frame or flatbed and custom build a camper space from scratch out of composite insulated panels, etc.

for the experience builders/modders out there.
What would be your choice for a light duty overland/ full time living camper build and why?
do you think it would be better just to insulate an aluminum box with sprayfoam and build from there? would there be any major issues with thermal heat loss with an aluminum box?

thanks in advance for all your input.
:)

The Artisan

Adventurer
I was in your situation when I bought my Fuso FE. The 12 foot Morgan cooled box would have been easy to redo and have an instant pod.
However, the box was mounted directly to the frame rails. It was heavy and I would would have to deal with the rear roll-up. I wanted to use my truck as a flatbed and a camping platform.
I opted for a custom pod build, lighter, better insulation, easy to remove, and could design it how ever I saw fit. I am happy with my decision now I just need to finish it..
Kevin

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think I'd rather start with a complete weathertight box and start from there. That way it's immediately usable and throughout your mods.

And with a little bit of clever design you could make it fairly stealthy as a camper.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
My preference would be to get'r done ASAP: Flatbed or large contractor utility bed, a used pop-up camper (like a Four Wheel), and then fill the 'gaps' on the bed with truck boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles