Custom build pop-up camper

I know I've been terrible about updating this but I got my hatch all done up a few weeks ago. I made a quick and dirty rotopax mount before a 4 night 1800 mile road trip.

View attachment 519138View attachment 519139View attachment 519149View attachment 519140View attachment 519142View attachment 519143View attachment 519144View attachment 519145View attachment 519150View attachment 519147

Really appreciate the documentation on your build. Have you had much issue with flex on the overhanging section? Can you share which 80/20 extrusion profile you went with? I'm kicking off a similar build and am currently extending my steel frame foward but looking at any opportunities to cut weight. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/pop-up-surf-camper-for-pnw.206432/

Cheers

Jayhat

Anyone have any idea if 1x3” 10 series extrusion would work ok for the tent frame (top and bottom)? Seems most use 15 series (1.5x3”). Can save a decent amount at Tnutz using 10 series. Wondering if the over cab, leg area, will have too much deflection / movement? I think with the 3” part standing vertically, it should be pretty strong. I plan to have a couple small support legs / brackets connecting down to my roof rack on the cab. I’m only planning on making the wedge tent portion, as I already have an alu cab canopy.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Anyone have any idea if 1x3” 10 series extrusion would work ok for the tent frame (top and bottom)? Seems most use 15 series (1.5x3”). Can save a decent amount at Tnutz using 10 series. Wondering if the over cab, leg area, will have too much deflection / movement? I think with the 3” part standing vertically, it should be pretty strong. I plan to have a couple small support legs / brackets connecting down to my roof rack on the cab. I’m only planning on making the wedge tent portion, as I already have an alu cab canopy.

I think 1" x 3" would be plenty strong. I did use 8020 15 series and its is probably overkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior