custom center console idea

FettsWay

Adventurer
first i am going to paint my existing center console with red kryon spray paint, just to jazz up the inside...i am told that paint will work?

Second, later this year, I am going to buid a custom center console with a higher arm rest that offers more storage, plus extends into the extended cab of my truck and supports the frame of a storage shelf I have already fashion a beta version of that is window high. The extended cab shelf will also server as the top shelf of a much fuller storage build out in the extended cab. I am tired of moving 10 things to just get to one thing!

Anyway, i googled and found one guy that made custom center console out of wood, which is the material I will probably use, since I don't know how to work with any other material. I have a shifter and 4 x 4 shifter as well, but will leave the console for them in place.

http://a653.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/l_ba2137c3e9ecd991d2484f5f5abda0e4.jpg

has anyone done this before or offer any advice? Thanks.

- fettsway

Count Fred

Observer
I haven't done anything yet, but want a higher center console to use as an arm rest as well as adding better drink storage and just more immediate storage to the front passengers.

My plan is to make it out of cheap wood and then wrap it with some light foam and finally vinyl. This should make it blend in quite well, assuming my work is clean.

Just my first thoughts, looking forward to suggestions here.

Cheers,
JFS III

off-roader

Expedition Leader
has anyone done this before or offer any advice? Thanks.

- fettsway

For my gen I montero, I didn't fab a console... I fabbed an add-on to my dash which contained an inclinometer (fashion more than function), 2 cup holders, and still allowed the use of the passenger oh sh_t handle.

Fortunately the dash is primarily flat sided so it was relatively easy to fabricate something to mate up nicely to all sides.

I built it using a combination of 1/2" and 1/4" mdf and fabricated steel strapping (1/16-3/32" thick) for the mounts which bolted to existing bolt locations where the oh sh_t handle was originally mounted.

I took a piece of interior trim to the local HD and have them prepare a pint of color matched exterior grade paint. I went ahead and splurged here by buying the best paint they had to offer. LOL

I'll try to dig up some pics if your interested.

I'm sure fabricating a console would be similar. The 1/2" mdf was ideal because I could easily & 'cleanly' round the corners by sanding or routing them so it could match the interior even better.

Unless you can find a cover material that matches the interior panel color exactly, I'd recommend just using exterior grade paint and painting them.

HTH.

RgrBox

Adventurer
I'm pretty happy with what I already have.. and can't imagine maiking th eone I have bigger for my LR 110.. already a big box. But I do like the one that's pictured.. I saw one from somewhere a guy had done this and put a mini frig in his console.. but I don't think I need anything liek that..

When you start please post some pics..

RB

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Bman,

Nice storage build. Out of curiosity the panel w/ the fuse box in the rear... why all the holes?

Also noticed you threw on a Gen I Montero Inclinometer. Nice! That's highly coveted bling among the Mitsu 4x4 community.:sombrero:

Also like the center console you've built & have been considering building one but with a hand brake, automatic shifter, & elbow rests on the front seats... the amount of added storage won't be anywhere near as much as your setup. Still mulling it over though.

BTW, on the holders for your pry bar in back... how positive is the engagement when the pry bar is in? I'd question what would happen say in an accident on the freeway.

I've seen a unit from quick fist (or was it quik fists?) that actually wrapped around the bar so I would think they'd be more secure. I use one for my 15lbs CO2 bottle on my roof rack and it hardly moves. The other plus is they have a latching system which makes it adjustable to the size item you need to store. Just a thought... :ylsmoke:

BMAN

Adventurer
Bman,

Nice storage build. Out of curiosity the panel w/ the fuse box in the rear... why all the holes?

First, thank you. It's not perfected yet but I'm slowy getting there. Locking lids for the boxes being a priority. Keeping those goodies in there where they belong is kinda important to me. The wiring comes in from the side, underneath the cover of the fuse block. The wires then route through the holes into a cavity to be routed down under the box/carpet. Cleans up the look. I pre drilled for each available circuit +/- wiring.

Also noticed you threw on a Gen I Montero Inclinometer. Nice! That's highly coveted bling among the Mitsu 4x4 community.:sombrero:

I have 3 or 4 sitting in a box somewhere. I always snag them and the dash handles when at the junkyards. I'll have to see about ebaying them as I don't really care for them. Mine will come out eventualy and be replaced with a full length dashpod.

Also like the center console you've built & have been considering building one but with a hand brake, automatic shifter, & elbow rests on the front seats... the amount of added storage won't be anywhere near as much as your setup. Still mulling it over though.

I love mine. It took a couple days to figure out and put together/paint but the shear size and added volume of storage has made it totally worth it. I still need to cut out the cupholder holes and the map slot on the rear popout. Once that's done I'll be happy with it.

BTW, on the holders for your pry bar in back... how positive is the engagement when the pry bar is in? I'd question what would happen say in an accident on the freeway.

Those holders are pretty stiff. I wrap a single rangerband(cut up bicycle innertube) around each of the prybars at the clip locations to act as a stop, in the event of a sudden front impact. This will keep them from sliding out. I'm pretty confident that in a rollover they'd stay put but I could be wrong. Hopefully I'll never find out. A cago barrier is on the list of eventual mods.

I've seen a unit from quick fist (or was it quik fists?) that actually wrapped around the bar so I would think they'd be more secure. I use one for my 15lbs CO2 bottle on my roof rack and it hardly moves. The other plus is they have a latching system which makes it adjustable to the size item you need to store. Just a thought... :ylsmoke:

I like quick fists, but didn't have any at the time and have so far been happy with my clips.

Hope that answered all of your questions.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
mines just an ammo box.

interior2.jpg

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hope that answered all of your questions.

Sure does, Thanks!

As for the inclinometers, if you plan on offering them for a reasonable fee ($35-45 for working one w/ fluid in tact) you may want to post them up in the Mitsu section on 4x4wire. Tell them Off-Roader sent you.

Glad to hear the pry bar is safely stored. If you were in a mild head-on, that would be a horrible situation for anyone in front of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior