Custom Fabbed Bumpers

91xlt

Adventurer
what options/features should be considered for having custom bumpers fabbed? hi lift mount...winch mount...recovery points...gas can holder...integrated tow receiver...???...???

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
91xlt, I believe strongly in having a HiLift mount that leaves the jack easily accessible and completely assembled. The rear rack is a good place for this. By fully assembled I mean with the base plate and handle attached - I've seen some mounts that don't have room for one or both, so parts must be stored inside the vehicle.

I also like stout recovery shackles on the rear bumper, because a good percentage percent of recovery situations involve being pulled out backwards by your rear bumper - or pulling someone else out with your rear bumper.

Personally I don't like receiver-mount winches. I've seen two bumpers bent by them on off-angle pulls. But a receiver mount for towing is a good idea, especially if it can be tucked up high or be made removeable, as on my bumper. I've always liked the idea of a rear-mounted winch tucked up under the back of the bumper, but it seems like the potential for gathering crud back there is high.

And a strong spare tire bracket!

91xlt

Adventurer
Jonathan Hanson said:
91xlt, I believe strongly in having a HiLift mount that leaves the jack easily accessible and completely assembled. The rear rack is a good place for this. By fully assembled I mean with the base plate and handle attached - I've seen some mounts that don't have room for one or both, so parts must be stored inside the vehicle.

I also like stout recovery shackles on the rear bumper, because a good percentage percent of recovery situations involve being pulled out backwards by your rear bumper - or pulling someone else out with your rear bumper.

Personally I don't like receiver-mount winches. I've seen two bumpers bent by them on off-angle pulls. But a receiver mount for towing is a good idea, especially if it can be tucked up high or be made removeable, as on my bumper. I've always liked the idea of a rear-mounted winch tucked up under the back of the bumper, but it seems like the potential for gathering crud back there is high.

And a strong spare tire bracket!

yeah i agree with almost everything 110%, i have seen custom bumpers with custom receiver type winch mount that are very durable and can handle SOME side pulls. Most are designed for srtictly straight pulls. i to like the idea of rear mount winches i just dont like the departure angle they require for anything other than extreme lifted rigs...which i am not a huge fan of.

91xlt

Adventurer
i gave deposit for custom bumpers, and skid plates...working on finalizing design...can't wait!

vanguard

Adventurer
I just built a bumper for myself last weekend. Things that entered my mind were weight and functionality. Personally, I'd be carefull about putting a lot of weight on the very back of the frame unless I did something to beef the frame up and I had the suspension to support it.

Here's a thread on my local board with pictures. The ideas are mostly borrowed from demello.

http://www.ncttora.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1204

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
91xlt said:
i gave deposit for custom bumpers, and skid plates...working on finalizing design...can't wait!

Have you checked out this site for ideas?

http://www.aluminess.com/bumpers.htm

They have some interesting ideas about storage on the rear bumper (generator boxes, kitchen boxes, fuel, water, etc). I think this company builds the bumpers for Sportsmobile.
Cheers
Mark

91xlt

Adventurer
i did check those out as well as another mfg i cannot recall name right now. they look great, lightweight and very multi-purpose.....but... i can not get over the fact they are aluminum. i just cannot get over that, i have had a few nasty/iffy stuck, over the side heading, slipping situations and i need to know that the steel is not going to fail due to jacking, pushing, pulling rigging whatever. so as enticing as they are i chose good old cold steel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles