Custom roof rack mounts

choldren71

So I recently got a roof top basket for my 3rd gen t4r. I love how it looks but it sits very high off the roof and it’s not quite as long as I’d like. My last vehicle was a Xterra where the entire roof was a roof rack and It was incorporated into the roof. I used it to haul a ton of stuff so I want something similar in size. They make extension kits to get the length I want but I still have it sitting 2.5 to 3inches off my roof. So my solution- take off the factory roof rack and cross bars. Take a semi thick piece of metal and screw it in to the factory mounting location. Then weld up something similar to this battery terminal I found laying around in the garage. That way it will hold it closer to a half inch off the roof. Does this make any sense? I’m open to any ideas and input that could help
be62d4375e1da1371ef517b8bbe16185.jpg
03b74ffb70c09fc871a0443bfaf17f8b.jpg
ef56d1f0b639997b19ccc3f80e8e7bf9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choldren71

I’m not really looking for width just more length. If I’m understanding what your saying correctly, I just pull the cross bars and install cut oversized hex bolts in the factory sliders then weld the rack to the hex bolts?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thank you sir. That looks like exactly what I’m trying to do with the exception of mounting it on square tubing. I will see if I can do something similar with some thinner steel.

I'm a big fan of angle iron.

Also look into Vibration dampening U bolts as a way to mechanically attach the tubing on the rack to whatever you come up with to fit the rail. I love the things, kinda expensive but make it easy.
https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1634 (scroll down)

dtc81

Observer
top_zpsc4dfd17d.jpg

If you remove all of the factory rack hardware, there are sliding nuts in the roof mounted track. All I did was make plate brackets that sit on the factory track and bolted to the factory sliding nuts. Kept it low as possible.

choldren71

I figured I should update you guys on what ended up doing. I couldn’t find an extension for my roof rack because I was unsure of the brand. So, I ordered one for 109$ of amazon that had the same measurements as mine. Got it in the mail and put together the front two pieces then proceeded to take the rack off the 4Runner and take off the front piece. I went to put them together but with my luck they were designed differently. On one both sides slide into the next piece. On the other the left side slid in and the right side went over the back piece (if that makes sense) ended up sliding one side together and bolting it up then cutting the other side flush and welding it. Tried to use the factory mount slides but the rack was a tad to wide. So I cut up some tabs, welded them to the rack and screwed them to the factory plastic cross bar slides. Took it for a drive and the welds hold at 70 mph so I’d say it was a success. Here is some pictures
f3a4f83878d8df38aee2d7171c5c9d0b.jpg
14e0c57b8236675967cc4db714d5cdae.jpg
5fd206f8b25263bfcb7c723e82d76f5f.jpg

P.S. I know my welds are ugly, but they hold and I’m still learning

choldren71

Also, the reason I bought another rack instead of just extending mine is so that i can use the spare two pieces to make a small roof rack on the wifey’s Dodge Journey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online