Custom RTT Mattress?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I bought mine from a custom foam shop. I measured the old mattress and had it cut. They included a cover as well.
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/mattress.html
I bought a custom window bench cushion and cover from them, they did a good job I thought.

For anyone in Colorado, the Foam Source in Boulder does a good job, too. They used to do custom covers but I don't think they do anymore, though. They've made WilderNest mattresses for me before.

https://www.foamsource.com

erstwild

I felt similarly about the comfort of the standard mattress in my autohome columbus XL (as well as the eventual mildew from a full winter's use even with the condensation gap material under the mattress). I have arrived at the following solution. I had a big agnes dream island double bag already, so I ended up putting 4 x 20" x 72" 1.5" thich self inflating hinman pads (double up and strapped together) inside their 40" x 72" sleep giant memory foam topper sleeve and sliding the whole thing in the bag sleeve. I find this to be bit more comfortable and adjustable than the standard mattress, allows it to close much more easily than having to jam it closed, allows it to dry/ventilate way better. These RTT makers should really step up and make self-inflating, dual-chambered, insulated mattresses of a decent thickness standard. Solves the weight, storage space, and comfort problems all at once.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Seriously, why does no one, other than darche, make one? At least get with Exped or Thermarest to help design a mat that is not only comfortable and warm, but also breaths well. It’s not rocket science, plus those companies have been doing the “sleeping outdoors” thing for decades longer than the RTT companies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

I think it's a cost question that they use cheap foam. The original mattress with my WilderNest was pretty good and lasted 15 years and the one I replaced it with was a high density, medium firmness closed cell foam that's been exceptional. It's far more comfortable than any inflatable mattress and better insulating. The stuff I got is something like R5 per inch and being a 3" mattress that's R15. Throw an wool blanket under you and it can be really cold and you still remain toasty.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Those do not qualify as “custom” since they are specific to the tepui tents.

Well...they measure just fine to fit in my RTT, and since they are an aftermarket upgrade, could qualify as "custom" IMHO.

I suppose the mattress is in the eye of the beholder...good luck with your search.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I think it's a cost question that they use cheap foam. The original mattress with my WilderNest was pretty good and lasted 15 years and the one I replaced it with was a high density, medium firmness closed cell foam that's been exceptional. It's far more comfortable than any inflatable mattress and better insulating. The stuff I got is something like R5 per inch and being a 3" mattress that's R15. Throw an wool blanket under you and it can be really cold and you still remain toasty.

Closed cell?! Interesting. Got a link or photos? I would think closed cell would be exceptionally firm.

erstwild

Seriously, why does no one, other than darche, make one? At least get with Exped or Thermarest to help design a mat that is not only comfortable and warm, but also breaths well. It’s not rocket science, plus those companies have been doing the “sleeping outdoors” thing for decades longer than the RTT companies.

I know seriously! Never seen the Darche offerings before...sees they are Aussie, per usual, way ahead. You'd think the RTT would make a little more investment in it than they do when you are paying $3k to have a nice place to sleep primarily. It is definitely a cost/weight cutting thing clear. As you mention, you'd think they could reach out to third parties to design and supply them for them at least.

The standard foam mattress in my autohome columbus is closed cell foam (2.5" thick). It is actually pretty decent but eventually compressed too much requiring tossing/turning for me. I would never trust anything but closed cell for all but the thinnest topper (like what I have currently) due to soaking up moisture particularly in cold weather.

DaveInDenver

Closed cell?! Interesting. Got a link or photos? I would think closed cell would be exceptionally firm.
I will get you something when I can. It is a pretty firm mattress but very comfortable. My experience is high density closed cell foam is more durable, which is of course why it's so heavy.

erstwild

Just wanted to let you know, I have decided to return my big agnes solution to try out an exped megamat duo as a mattress replacement in my autohome columbus. Glad to let you know how it works for me if you are looking for feedback before a purchase.

Porcupine86

Just wanted to let you know, I have decided to return my big agnes solution to try out an exped megamat duo as a mattress replacement in my autohome columbus. Glad to let you know how it works for me if you are looking for feedback before a purchase.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. I've seen several people say this is a comfortable solution. One thing I haven't seen is whether it needs to be deflated when folding the tent up or not, so let us know!

erstwild

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. I've seen several people say this is a comfortable solution. One thing I haven't seen is whether it needs to be deflated when folding the tent up or not, so let us know!

Just received my exped megamat duo medium (41” x 72”) and I have to say this seems like it will be an amazing improvement. Really comfortable and adjustable. Think real bed at home. It fit exactly in the sleeve of my Big Agnes Dream Island double bag. I pulled out the standard mattress in my Autohome Columbus previously. Now I can just lay the pad and bag combo up there on top of the anti condensation mat and it allows a little space around the edges for ventilation and stays out of the way of the struts in closed position. The pad still needs to be deflated for storage but it is self inflating so just pop the the two valves for 15 minutes and then top up with small hand pump to comfort. All in all, the most expensive option for mattress replacement but the best for light weight, storage, and comfort overall.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I had actually considered 2 of the mediums for a mattress replacement in the iKamper, but I traded it for a James Baroud last winter.

I have not had time to try out the James Baroud as of yet, but I’m looking forward to a few trips this fall.

If the mattress in that needs replacement the megamat is top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz