Cut off switch for my winch?

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Well, I 'm installing my superwinch on my TJ and was wondering if a cut off switch is important on the red wire between the bat and the winch.
What do you think?

S

Squatchout

Marine battery switches work great. Just remember some have alternator protection and some don't. If not you don't want to switch the switch with the engine running or you'll fry the alt. Buy the more expensive switch with the protection circuit. I prefer a 2 battery switch. It allows you to switch between a, b, a+b, off. Use a deep cycle battery with a winch.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Marine battery switches work great. Just remember some have alternator protection and some don't. If not you don't want to switch the switch with the engine running or you'll fry the alt. Buy the more expensive switch with the protection circuit. I prefer a 2 battery switch. It allows you to switch between a, b, a+b, off. Use a deep cycle battery with a winch.

Could you explain how switching the winch power lead (only) on/off with the engine running can affect the alternator?

I understand the issue with multiple batteries in a running system, but I don't see the issue with the winch (especially since the motor will not be running.)

Not trying to be a **** - just trying to figure out what I'm missing...

Thanks.

S

Squatchout

Could you explain how switching the winch power lead (only) on/off with the engine running can affect the alternator?

I understand the issue with multiple batteries in a running system, but I don't see the issue with the winch (especially since the motor will not be running.)

Not trying to be a **** - just trying to figure out what I'm missing...

Thanks.

Normally a power switch is installed between the battery and ALL loads. That way if it is shut off it disconnects the battery from the alternator as well as the rest of the vehicle loads. This CAN be a problem if you switch it with the engine running. If you just use it for the winch lead you are probably ok.

In my trucks I normally use a dual battery switch that is wired direct to both deep cycle batteries. Then downstream on the load side I use a marine terminal post to attach all the loads to. This way the battery switch turns off everything. I do the same with a simple on/off switch in my boat. Just don't turn off or switch the switch if your engine is running.

If you are winching you really should have the engine running to keep as much charge as possible on the batteries while you are winching. Winches draw huge amounts of juice in a very short time.

You can switch just the winch or you can switch everything that works off the battery. I prefer to switch the whole thing. It makes it easy to disable the truck by turning off the switch or to just turn off the power without having to discoonect a battery lead to do service work.

I hope this clarifies some.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Normally a power switch is installed between the battery and ALL loads. That way if it is shut off it disconnects the battery from the alternator as well as the rest of the vehicle loads. This CAN be a problem if you switch it with the engine running. If you just use it for the winch lead you are probably ok.

In my trucks I normally use a dual battery switch that is wired direct to both deep cycle batteries. Then downstream on the load side I use a marine terminal post to attach all the loads to. This way the battery switch turns off everything. I do the same with a simple on/off switch in my boat. Just don't turn off or switch the switch if your engine is running.

If you are winching you really should have the engine running to keep as much charge as possible on the batteries while you are winching. Winches draw huge amounts of juice in a very short time.

You can switch just the winch or you can switch everything that works off the battery. I prefer to switch the whole thing. It makes it easy to disable the truck by turning off the switch or to just turn off the power without having to discoonect a battery lead to do service work.

I hope this clarifies some.

Yes - this explanation matches my understanding.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz