Cutting OEM windows into Econoline

WarDonkey

Hey has anyone cut OEM windows into an Econoline (2014)? Won't be quite as simple as the passenger van swap out.
Will be the two quarters in the rear of the van.
I haven't acquired the windows yet--thought it was prudent to check in first.
Any tips appreciated!
Thanks!

desertsherpa

Can you access this post?
Facebook Post
This guy cut out the windows and bonded in stock glass. The cargo van's don't have the outer sheet metal insets that the passengers do.

Primal outdoors cut the windows out further back than the stock locations in order to install flares, which are sorta like bonded windows.

joeblack5

We installed a side window behind the driver seat in our window less Econoline.
There are several issues. The outer skin is not recessed at the location of the window.. in the vans with a window the window is installed flat with the outer skin.. the second problem is that the internal reinforcement of the panel van are different from the ones that have factory windows..
Since this was a 4*4 van I did not want to alter the van body reinforcement.

The solution came to me in getting a tinted openable side window for a luxury Econoline. The window is mounted with a subframe that has the seal, hinges and locks.. we removed the whole assembly from a junkyard van and glued and screws it on the the outside of the panel van. The window can not open anymore because the locks and hinges need a modification of the internal reinforcement of the van.

For us that was not important and so we used it as a fixed window..

Good luck johan

joeblack5

I do not remember exactly but the reinforcement of the window van is lower, further apart, or is formed with a cutout.
In our case the reinforcement blocked the lower edge of the window by about an inch.. for that reason the locking clips on the bottom of the window do not fit.
As mentioned I did not want to alter the structural parts of the van because of the 4*4 use and also because our youngest was behind that window in a car seat. We drilled 1/4" holes in the reinforcement and used screws to pull the window close against the seal.. then put a bead of sikaflex around the whole window to get the best strength out of it.

Good luck
Johan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior