CUV / Crossover with 4Lo

phsycle

Adventurer
Important to note the member posting the question is in the United States and our Foresters never got a two speed transfer case. Older Subarus (talking 1980s) imported here did get them and they are available I surmise still in many other markets. Just not here anymore.

Our Forester is 2017 base model and if it did have a low range it would be a highly capable vehicle off road. But no, instead it has Bluetooth!

Also Important to note though, Lo range ratio was a crummy 1.462 for Subaru’s overseas. Better than what we’ve got for sure. But too bad they didn’t give it something proper. They’d be highly capable vehicles with 3+:1.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Also Important to note though, Lo range ratio was a crummy 1.462 for Subaru’s overseas. Better than what we’ve got for sure. But too bad they didn’t give it something proper. They’d be highly capable vehicles with 3+:1.
A 1.462:1 low range would indeed give our Forester a very useful 22:1 crawl ratio. That's slightly lower than what you have in 2nd gear and low range in your truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
A 1.462:1 low range would indeed give our Forester a very useful 22:1 crawl ratio. That's slightly lower than what you have in 2nd gear and low range in your truck.

My point was they could/should have gone lower. Especially when we’re talking fairly low-powered petrol engines.

DaveInDenver

My point was they could/should have gone lower. Especially when we’re talking fairly low-powered petrol engines.
LOL, I read that as opposite, that it's not a bad ratio unless you're doing really technical stuff. And I bet there's aftermarket gears to go lower. I don't think of a Subaru as a substitute for a truck but having a 1st-low of around 20:1 would be more than enough for taking the strain off the clutch and brakes on unimproved roads.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Important to note the member posting the question is in the United States and our Foresters never got a two speed transfer case. Older Subarus (talking 1980s) imported here did get them and they are available I surmise still in many other markets. Just not here anymore.

Our Forester is 2017 base model and if it did have a low range it would be a highly capable vehicle off road. But no, instead it has Bluetooth!
I had the same car but a manual. I could never get the Pandora app to work lol.

DaveInDenver

I had the same car but a manual. I could never get the Pandora app to work lol.
Ours is a stick shift, non-turbo 2.5, no roof rack, nuthin. Doesn't have Pandora. I'm not even quite sure what Pandora is to be honest, though, so I don't know that for sure.

phsycle

Adventurer
LOL, I read that as opposite, that it's not a bad ratio unless you're doing really technical stuff. And I bet there's aftermarket gears to go lower. I don't think of a Subaru as a substitute for a truck but having a 1st-low of around 20:1 would be more than enough for taking the strain off the clutch and brakes on unimproved roads.

Ha. I was just thinking of your playground out there. Take a look at this video. The guy just runs out of gearing/power. Lo range would have gotten him up without issues. It's not technical terrain, but just high elevation/steep grade.

I was actually seriously considering a Forester. IF it had lo-range, I would probably be driving one now instead of the Tacoma (I think).

Well, that might not be the video I was thinking of. At work, so can't watch it (firewalled). This might be it:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Ours is a stick shift, non-turbo 2.5, no roof rack, nuthin. Doesn't have Pandora. I'm not even quite sure what Pandora is to be honest, though, so I don't know that for sure.
Yeah, I had a stick shift no roof rack base model. For some reason it came with auto diming mirrors and the radio that had different apps on it, no nav though.

I still have primitive brand skid plates for it if you're interested...

DaveInDenver

@buddha, PM on the skids.

Our Forester radio does have Star Link so probably has other apps, I dunno. When you plug an iPod in it displays artist/song/album and displays the backup camera, too. Nothing special about our mirrors as near as I can tell, rear view has a flip lever, the sides are just motorized slabs of glass. There's no blinkers or anything in them.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I owned a 1982 Subaru with low range and it was fantastic offroad. I could get down almost every road my buddy's F250 could get down, UNLESS he was leading and tore the hell out of the road. I also owned a 2002 Grand Vitara V6 with LR, and it was also great offroad. Both had mechanical shift. My Grand Vitara got 21 MPG.

Smileyshaun

Observer
i just picked up a 2018 forester and almost went with the auto for its x mode. it actually does a real good job of giving it a "low range " does a decent job of locking up the spinning tires with no traction and even has hill decent and the 2019 will have a duel range x mode with a snow/mud setting ( allows more wheelspin . But with it being my daily driver I enjoyed shifting a lot more makes the car more enjoyable to drive but still does an okay job off the beaten path on light duty trails.
even if you get a small crossover with a 4low your still stuck with low ground clearance, small tires and limited approach and departure angles. If your wanting to tackle harder trails get a more suited 4x4 most are getting decent mileage now . If you try making a smaller crossover more trail worthy with bigger tires your mileage is going to suffer bad anyways .

Drabadum

Jeep Renegade BU and Jeep Compass MP offer Active Drive Low as part of the Trailhawk package.

There is great article explaining the overall operation of it in Overland Journal Spring 2018; Roaming Renegade: 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Jeep's Active Drive Low (Renegade BU, Compass MP) basically stays at the first gear of the gearbox, do not be confused with Active Drive 2 (Cherokee KL) that really has two planetary gears at front and rear axles for the low range, and gives 2.92 reduction when needed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dddonkey

Adventurer
Jeep commander with, qd2 had low range as well and the new Durango’s if you get the hemi, but the durangos are just awd and no lockers.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For those that mentioned the older Subaru's, they are decent, fun rigs. But you really have to appreciate their limits. They are tough little things, but lack the space, power, safety, and comfort of pretty much anything these days. And they are by no means a crossover. True 4wd with a true low range, yes, but beyond that they are just quirky little cars.

I too wish there was exactly that little car in the modern equivalent, but it simply does not exist.

Here is mine old '84 GL (long gone now)

31653236587_d34af72914_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne